Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabe From Alaska

Hello Everyone,

My name is Gabe Williamson from Soldotna Alaska. I have lived up here my whole life and been on the water in some capacity my whole life as well.

I was brought up commercial drift gillnet fishing, than moved on to the merchant marines for 4 years where i worked on trans atlantic car car carrier, than a naval ship in the far east, and finished off with an inter island hawaiian cruise ship.

Over the last decade i came back to my stomping grounds of Cook Inlet, where i am now the captain on a 165' offshore supply vessel working drilling support for the offshore rigs. infact a couple of our boats reside in lake union during the winter. www.omsi-ak.com

The story on how i'm getting back into small boats.

This summer i did a weekend camping trip on my buddies 24' aluminum cabin cruiser around Kachemak Bay and could not get enough of it! It was at that point i knew i had to get a boat going for myself.

My old man, has had this older boat for probably 20 years or better just collecting dirt and moss as many classics sadly do. Well, I took it upon myself to jack it up out of the dirt, get it on a trailer to where i could move it out of the vacant lot to my moms where i can get it on a real trailer, and at least clean it out and figure out what its gonna take to do a resto mod.

Dad has wanted to do something with this boat for quite some time but as we all know life happens. He swore to me it was an early 60's Bell boy and came from Seward, Alaska.

The google search results determined that was a lie.

With the help of a pressure washer, 9'' buffer, Kelly here on the board and google we now know that I have a '58 Skagit Express 20'.

That pretty much brings us to today.

Additionally, my Dad and i have an 17' Reinell runabout, and he just acquired a 24'-26' Glassply cabin cruiser which i have yet to figure out what the year and model are on.

I look forward to talking and gaining knowledge from you folks.

Thanks!
    Gabe Williamson
    Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
    Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
    1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
    1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
    197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Originally posted by Gwilliamson View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Gabe Williamson from Soldotna Alaska. I have lived up here my whole life and been on the water in some capacity my whole life as well.

I was brought up commercial drift gillnet fishing, than moved on to the merchant marines for 4 years where i worked on trans atlantic car car carrier, than a naval ship in the far east, and finished off with an inter island hawaiian cruise ship.

Over the last decade i came back to my stomping grounds of Cook Inlet, where i am now the captain on a 165' offshore supply vessel working drilling support for the offshore rigs. infact a couple of our boats reside in lake union during the winter. www.omsi-ak.com

The story on how i'm getting back into small boats.

This summer i did a weekend camping trip on my buddies 24' aluminum cabin cruiser around Kachemak Bay and could not get enough of it! It was at that point i knew i had to get a boat going for myself.

My old man, has had this older boat for probably 20 years or better just collecting dirt and moss as many classics sadly do. Well, I took it upon myself to jack it up out of the dirt, get it on a trailer to where i could move it out of the vacant lot to my moms where i can get it on a real trailer, and at least clean it out and figure out what its gonna take to do a resto mod.

Dad has wanted to do something with this boat for quite some time but as we all know life happens. He swore to me it was an early 60's Bell boy and came from Seward, Alaska.

The google search results determined that was a lie.

With the help of a pressure washer, 9'' buffer, Kelly here on the board and google we now know that I have a '58 Skagit Express 20'.

That pretty much brings us to today.

Additionally, my Dad and i have an 17' Reinell runabout, and he just acquired a 24'-26' Glassply cabin cruiser which i have yet to figure out what the year and model are on.

I look forward to talking and gaining knowledge from you folks.

Thanks!
    Maybe not a lie as so much as Miss informed. Skagits were built in laConner Washington, Skagit County between 1955 to 1960.

So, lets see some pictures and get started on this project
    Just so happens, working on one right now.

Enjoy
    Helmar
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome, Gabe.

Funny how things are. Most of us have had a dream once about being on large vessels. Here you are a captain and dream of having a small one.

Pics or it didn't happen.

John
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Resto mod? Bruce seems to like the 90 E tek he has. Weight in the stern is a factor. The 20s don't need a lot of changes here are the ones I know Make center support for windshield, generally shift weight foreward, move fuel tanks to bulkhead or under v berth, replace plywood with 6# pvc foam 1/4 layered 26# coosa bord for transom, eliminate sump in stern run cabin drain and deck drain through transom at different levels and hard tops don't have standing headroom make adjustments or a custom top.

Comment

The windshield center support is a good idea. I wish Kelly from fiberglassics would get back to me, he made a really cool looking center support that looked period correct.

Comment

John, Resto-mod, restoring it structurally and preserving the overall original design, at the same time making your own custom touches to it. That's the same direction and vision I have with a lot of my stuff as well.

Comment

IMG_1454.jpg

This is what mine had, looks to be pretty original
              Gabe Williamson
              Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
              Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
              1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
              1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
              197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Comment

It's period correct, but probably not installed by Skagit. I do like that idea. I'll dig up the pic Kelly from fiberglassics did, it was seriously cool.

Comment

Found it..
                  brace1aC.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X