"NEW" Skagit Hull Identification Plates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "NEW" Skagit Hull Identification Plates

So after a long trial/error saga with a cooky business owner, I finally have the Skagit Hull ID plates reproduced. Close to the original. It took several, several visits to get the design to this point. As of right now, I won't be making anymore changes, even though I still see some small details that could be better.

The one I did for my '58 Express Hardtop is in the picture. If you want/need one made and know your HULL ID number, let me know via the private messages. All things considered, they won't be expensive (or what I perceive as expensive). I set out to ensure my Hardtop is done right, not to make money on these. While I like things to be original, this is as close as I can get to the real deal. That's just me, I don't judge you or your boat if you have your own flavor etc....

If you can make one better, please do as I'd like to see what others may come up with if they choose.

A big thanks to BruceB. for letting me borrow an original plate from another Skagit.

Here's the new plate:
    20171010_075836.jpg

Here's a few different versions I had to go through to get to the point above...I even attempted my own aging/patina process on a few extras.
    20171009_102246.jpg

To answer another's question today on deciphering these plates, here's a breakdown:

From the example above..
    8 = 1958 model year
    2 = 20 footer
    X = Express model
    14= Production number

Some Skagits (from 1959 and on) have a 4 digit production number. I've come across some varying information however my best deduction is the first digit represents the series type followed by the actual production number in that series.

Example:
    9 6S 7055

1959 16 foot SkiMaster, #55 in the 7 thousand SkiMaster series.

A few other model examples:

14S = a 14 Sportster
    17U = a 17 Utility
    20S = a 20 Offshore - they used S instead of O because O could be confused with a 0 (zero)

Comment

Also, while I'm in this thread...
      on the plates I reproduce, I added another space between Skagit and Plastics so it's spot on now.
      Yes, I can get that crazy with things like this.

Comment

Out of all the skagits I have had, only one of them was I able to find the ID tag on it. It happens to be the 59 Offshore ..
        This is cool, Thanks Kelly
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X