Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to go buy a 1960 Dorsett Catalina (unless it has major problems the seller didn't acknowledge) Super excited to be joining the classic boat boat club!

Also if anyone knows where I can get a windshield for said boat, please let me know

Chris

Awesome, welcome to the fun! A few folks on here might be able to help you out, but if you're on Facebook check out some of the classic boat groups. Lots of help there too.

Comment

Thanks! It actually has the original windshield PO just took it off because it’s cracked a little. I’m super psyched it is all original on the exterior where it matters (to me) and has been redone in the interior in ways that I don’t hate and are functionally ok. At some point i’ll Probably make the bulk head look prettier but the stuff it needs to look outstanding are within my skill set and shouldn’t be too expensive for the most part. I’m going to take it out tomorrow and i’ll post pics

Comment

Welcome aboard..
        Hope you enjoy..Lots of folks just hanging out with not much to say at the moment.

Submit some pictures of your treasure to see.

I will be working on opening up the forum for more images to be seen soon..

Helmar
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looking forward to those pix. Enjoy the ride and hope all goes well!

Comment

dorsett.JPG

more pics to follow, too busy having fun getting her on the water while we still have this great weather. I love everything about this boat so far, she's beautiful, rides great is super easy to handle and is just the right size for my family. Just realized I'm going to have to investigate the cockpit deck- someone bolted the seats down to the wood deck using lag bolts (with no sealer or anything) which of course allowed water to penetrate and rotted out the wood. I found this out by leaning back on the chair and subsequently falling backwards when the bolts pulled out of the rotted wood

Comment

Great pic! Bummer about the sole of the boat but cool to see your psyched on it!

Comment

A new windshield involves heating a new piece, bending and cooling on the inside of the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
                  A new windshield involves heating a new piece, bending and cooling on the inside of the old one.
                  In my case it involves sending this guy $300

http://www.theplasticsguy.com/about-us.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissea View Post
                    In my case it involves sending this guy $300

http://www.theplasticsguy.com/about-us.html
                    That is for the upper helm windshield ?

That is a Super Bargain !!!
                    Shipping might get a little nuts.

I might just call this fellow as John Nelson and I have just made the molds for the cabin and helm on a 1957 21foot Bell Boy.

Lots of the skagit boats among others need this process done and we are loosing any reasonable costs in the Seattle area..

Here is something you might do if you had a bolt or lag screw pull out.
                    It requires a smart phone and Amazon for inspection.
                    I have one of those boats only to find the stringers are, well, lets say, needing replaced asap. That will be a big process but with a spinning laser, not hard to do. I can explain when the time comes. I also have a short cut in case the transom needs replacing.

You have to remember, most of the time nothing has been replaced, just painted over and over.. That wood is over 57 years old.
                    Use the boat until you can't would be the way I would go at it.

Anyway, back to the inspection process. It requires about a 1/2" hole that you can plug when done. (several ways to pull that off too).
                    So at Amazon they have what is called a Endoscope. It just blew me away how well that thing works for only a Twenty dollar bill.
                    It even lights its own way.
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used that little sucker for Many things. Just wish its little rechargeable battery would hold a charge longer. I just turn the light down until I need it brighter is all.

Soak it up out there as Winter is on its way
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yep Helmar that is for the upper helm windshield. He said the cabin windows (both fronts and sliders) are around $360 for the 4. I’ll be doing the whole shebang this winter. The endoscope is a brilliant idea, i’ll be employing that, thanks! now if we could just get a few more nice days before the weather turns crap for 6 months..

Comment

That is an amazing price... <said after I picked my jaw up of the floor!>

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                          That is an amazing price... <said after I picked my jaw up of the floor!>
                          I just talked to this fellow on the phone, Bret is his name and its a family run business and Growing.

If a windshield is broken even in Lots of pieces, he can still do a mold and recreate the windows.

I think this is out answer as Kelly, you were quoted some crazy price up in the Seattle area?. What was the details on that.
                          Better yet, I will start a thread in the restore area about this.

Helmar
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yeah and he’s a UW graduate who lived in Ballard where he developed his love for boats. Good guy

Comment

Wow. That is a really good price.

Enjoy that boat. She is a cutie!
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                              X