Homelite face lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homelite face lift

I moved boats around the place, and thought it might be good to give the Homelite some attention. First I gave it a good washdown with Prepsol, a good wax and grease remover. Next I masked off the emblems and the second color(blue). I wanted to remove the emblems, but somewhere along the line they have been glued on. With some careful masking and a little razor-blade work I got pretty close.1/4 inch fineline tape helps as well.
    I sanded with 220 grit on my random orbit sander. Around the emblems I use red scotch-brite to knock off the shine. Then comes three coats of primer,I used Naps's two part as I had some left over from another project.I did some minor fill work with a light filler but most of the imperfections came out in the sanding and primer.
    After sitting over night to dry, sanded with 320 grit and scotch-brite again,Blow off with compressed air and wash down with Spray away glass cleaner to clean off the finger prints and stuff but leaves no residue.
    And last I sprayed three coats of Napa Acrylic Enamel. It was pretty cold and has taken a couple of days to dry but looks ok. Now the blue looks a litte worn. I guess its good to have somthing to do! - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

The Homelite Looks GREAT Ross! Looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Nice job. These fun winter projects like this make winter go a little faster don't they? Did the top come with your Bell Boy?
    Kent & Diane
    '58 Westerner

Comment

Looks good Ross, nice work. I picked up my Homelite from Bill yesterday. I'll being doing the same to mine this weekend. The emblems are shot on mine, so I'll be removing most of them, that should save a little time. Bill is working on getting emblems made up, so I'll just put new ones on sometime down the road.

Got new cables on the way also. Hopefully I can do a test run at Lake Stevens in a few weeks. Can't wait to get this baby out on the water. Should be fun.

I'll post some before and after pictures when I'm done. The finish on the hood is shot. So even if I do it blind folded it will look better. Hope it looks as good as yours. Have a good one.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Very nicely done Ross, can hardly wait to get ours.
        1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Bearcat Engines

Great Ross.....
          Now I am going to have to do something with mine to keep up with you guys.

Looks good
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks these small projects are fun. Westerner, the top is a new project as well. I'm doing a last try on before finishing up the fairing and paint.
            Steve and Melanie you will like these outboards! When my wife and I went up to Bill R's to pick up mine it happened to be on mothers day,so now she tells people that is what I got her for mothers day... an outboard.
            Yes I am lucky - Ross
            Ross Henson

Comment

I'm jealous, mine is still in pieces all over the shop in various stages of prep and primer. Hopefully it will be together in a month or two.

Tim

Comment

That looks great. Bill is supposed to have one in his shop with my name on it. Thanks for the info. You just inspired me !!
                Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Bearcat engines

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 458
                  That looks great. Bill is supposed to have one in his shop with my name on it. Thanks for the info. You just inspired me !!
                  The Bearcat engines are not hot rods but they are really a head turner.
                  Most people have never heard of them.

All I have to say about them is sip sip sip

I think Melanie has one in the works too. I know she has been waiting for awhile now too.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Finally got the Homelite spruced up. Thanks for the tips guys (Bellboybob, Bill and Ross). Turned out okay as long as you use the 10 foot rule. Like we used to say in the Army, close enough for government work.

Looks a little plain without the decals, working on getting new ones. The first mate suggested it be painted gray instead of blue, so it's gray. (nuff said about that).

Just have a couple minor connections to make. Going to take it for test spin next weekend. Can't wait. Sure will be nice to have 4 stroke power. Attached are some before and after shots.
                    Attached Files
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Steve that looks good to me! I think you are gonna like it. Billr was talking about putting some insulation in the hood but its pretty quiet as is. Where are you going to launch? Enjoy! - Ross
                      Ross Henson

Comment

That sure cleaned her up for sure.
                        I am still looking to match or get close to the stock blue.
                        Seems Krylon has come out with many more colors that I will check out.

Ross, what did you come up with for your Blue and White?
                        Kind of like the gray but want to stay stock looking.
                        Mine will run right now too, thank to Bill.
                        Overlooked the simple stuff, geeze....
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Steve,
                          It really looks sharp! Can't wait to see it! It really is amazing what some new paint can do.

Comment

I spent hours back a year or so ago on my hood masking and painting with spray cans, everything looked good until the final piece of tape peeled off taking some paint with it. I was very dissapointed but I will try to spot paint that area.

Comment

I have been spending the last week or so cleaning up the old Bearcat. I painted the leg and a little detail work on the hood plus cleaning up the controls.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X