Bearcat #6 arrives home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat #6 arrives home

My#4 Homelite deal turned sour, as it was to be a runner which it is but they negected to tell me the lower unit was blown. The engine itself runs great. So in my search for a lower unit I got a call from a fellow less than five miles from my house who had a Bearcat. I bought #6. The old story was it ran when I parked it 4 to 6 years ago. It's been stored inside, turns over, and the gearbox seems smooth and it shifts. We'll find out shortly whether she runs or not. Never thought I run across one of these, naturally I had to have it!!!!

Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Whats a Grumman F8F doing on this forum??

:eek:[URL="http://adventurebearcatmarine.com"

Try this guy check out all the links espially Economy4-stroke marine in Reeding,CA (530)2417990.

There's a guy in my area with a "Bearcat" 55HP for sale so I was trying to learn more about them. are they any good? He wants $200.00.

Thanks
    Delvel

Comment

Are they any good?

No they aren't any good, they're great! I have one on boat that I put on in May and it's been out every weekend. Quiet, trolls at 1.5 mph moves the 16ft Sylvan at 27 mph, no smoke and is very fuel efficient.

Dick
      Dick Johnson
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Can the Bearcats and Homelites be run in salt water (and live) if you flush after use ?

Comment

[quote="delvel, post: 5062"]:eek:[URL="http://adventurebearcatmarine.com"

Try this guy check out all the links espially Economy4-stroke marine in Reeding,CA (530)2417990.

There's a guy in my area with a "Bearcat" 55HP for sale so I was trying to learn more about them. are they any good? He wants $200.00.

Thanks
          Delvel[/QUOTE]

The guy you want to talk to is Bill Roberts, a NWCBC club member who deals in Homelites and Bearcats, stocks parts and knows everything there is to know about them. His web site at www.bearcat55.com has all his contact info. I wouldn't buy a used one without talking to him about what to look for.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C, post: 5064
            Can the Bearcats and Homelites be run in salt water (and live) if you flush after use ?

Definitely.

Comment

The 85 is alive

Off came the carbs this morning, they seemed clean so not much work there. Changed the oil, cranked it without plugs til the oil pressure came up and then went for the kill. It tried but just didn't want to. The damn starter was dragging. I've had that happen on three engines now, top bushing is worn out. The starter is the same as the 55hp, I had one more good one so on it went. Then it fired right off. It sounds great, 40 lbs of oil pressure at idle and 55lbs when it's rev'd up. Pumps water fine. Accelerator pumps aren't working and the idle is a little rough so the carbs are coming off one more time for some more work. Anyone know what these weigh? I've read 280lbs. I'm thinking I'd like to try it on the Sylvan but I'm wondering if the transom will hold it. I wonder what a 90 hp Honda weighs.

Dick
              Attached Files
              Dick Johnson
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 5089
                .... Anyone know what these weigh? I've read 280lbs. I'm thinking I'd like to try it on the Sylvan but I'm wondering if the transom will hold it. I wonder what a 90 hp Honda weighs.

Dick
                A Honda 90hp weighs in at about 360 lbs. to 365 lbs for the long shaft.

Comment

Accelerator pumps fixed

Dave, thanks for the info. Called the dealer today and was told the transom should handle the weight of the 85. I'll have to give that some thought.
                  So thinking about the pumps I realized the check balls were missing in both carbs. Someone had been in there before me as I didn't get into this area till today. Over the years I've learned the best place to find individual ball bearings is your local bicycle shop so I paid them a visit. Came home with some spares for stock on hand and installed one in each carb. Pumps work perfect. Looks like one more problem, being British it has to leak oil, right?
                  Valve cover leaks, gives me a reason to check valve adjustment.

Dick
                  Dick Johnson
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

did i see?

did that say fisher price on the cowl....lol just kidding i myself run the 59' evinrude lark " golden jubilee"

Comment

Progress and video

Continued with repair and tuning this week, and it's been HOT in the garage. I've made new float bowl gaskets and a valve cover gasket. Today was test day now that the accelerator pumps are working. It's closer but it still needs a little more tuning. It idles at 600 rpm but has a small hesitation on acceleration. Overall it runs very well. Carbs are very touchy for ajustment. I did do a compression check today also, 165 lbs in all four cylinders. Oil leak is gone. I've been in contact with Ed Zogg who's been running one of these for at least eight years and he was kind enough to send me several pages of spec's and cross references for parts. I uploaded a video on Youtube of mine running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWMU-9g4WE

Dick
                      Dick Johnson
                      '57 Evinrude 18hp
                      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                      '72 Johnson 6hp
                      '65 Homelite 55
                      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Sweeeet

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Another Bearcat Lives

Way Cool Dick.
                            I got first dibs on that engine if you ever decide to sell or trade it off
                            Fact is, I have two boats to hang that engine on, no, make that three.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I'll have to agree it's sweet and awesome! I left work early tonight and am starting my two weeks of vacation. Part of the plan is to have this engine on the boat and in the water. I almost hate to remove the 55 as it has been also running sweet and awesome, I was also concerned whether or not my boat would handle the weight of this so I've made some calls to dealers and others and everyone has said it should handle it no problem. I've never had anything close to the maximum rated HP on any of my boats so I'm kind of pumped up to try this. I'm really enjoying the 4 strokes over my 2 strokes. After I've tried this out Joe you might have to pry it out of my cold dead hands! Saturday I've got another idea to try to correct the hesitation in the carbs. I've never had carbs as sensitive as these, they change so quick with the slightest turn of the idle screw. Then I have to go on the charging system. Down to Radio Shack for another bridge rectifier I'm sure. My plan was to run the #2 Bearcat 55 which is on the boat now, pull the #1 Bearcat 55 apart as it has compression issues and replace the early block with the "A" block. The 85hp has put a cog in the wheel for now. I've also fired of the #3 short shaft 55, it needs some more work but should be a good one. The #4 has also been fired off and it's a sweetheart. I too am hooked on these, can you tell?

Dick
                              Dick Johnson
                              '57 Evinrude 18hp
                              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                              '72 Johnson 6hp
                              '65 Homelite 55
                              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...