No announcement yet.

Bearcat #6 arrives home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup! It's there all right. Imagine that. In the engine section!
    Thanks. Now to go get an oil pressure gauge. Good idea. B

Comment

Trolling with the 85 Sunday

The 85 seems to be idling consistently at 550rpm so we're taking it fishing in the morning. Shot a little video, camera sure picks up everything so you can't really hear the real sound of the engine but you can see on the tach what it's running at and it had been doing that for over two hrs. Steady and consistent, we'll know tomorrow!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AVjvnFQDE
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Well it will do what I want it to do, we trolled for four hrs at 400rpm and caught a limit of trout. Two of us in the boat, top speed 32 mph at 3800 rpm. There's just one problem, had to troll with the hood off. Even on the high idle lever with it at 1200 rpm you could here the rpm increase when I pulled the hood. Too little clearance between the carbs and the hood. Now what?????
        Dick Johnson
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Louvers

For practical reasons I had to modify the hood. It now idles nicely with the hood on at 600rpm which is within the spec's of the engine, so it's now doing everything I wanted it to do. The louvers seem to look clean, the holes are 2".
          I think I'm done!
          Attached Files
          Dick Johnson
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Sale Pending

My Bearcat 85 experience is coming to an end. I've had an offer for it that I can't turn down, the Coventry-Climax will be returning to it's homeland in the UK. I have to say it's challenging engine and enjoyed my brief experience with it. I really liked the power it has but with it's quirks it's handful and in reality I don't need it. The Bearcat 55 is by far a much better engine. In mechanically sound condition and properly tuned it's hard to beat, it's big brother isn't in the same class for reliability and durability in my opinion. I'll miss owning it but won't miss it's quirks, I enjoy working on them and still have several 55's to keep me busy. Maybe the next project will be duel 55's!
            Merry Christmas to all!
            Dick Johnson
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Way cool.
              I am sure they are nice to have, touch, feel, but as long as you have pictures of it, that works too.
              At least you Had one
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Pending sale dead

Dead deal, had a deposit and returned it. Seems he didn't understand "pickup only" and "I don't crate and ship". Sure if a shipper showed up at my door to collect it, I don't have a problem, yes I would have strapped to a pallet as he requested. Seems his shipper wanted it crated. I told him I'd hire a guy to crate it for an additional $150. The box was to be 1/2 plywood approx 64"x35"x24". The whole package ready to ship was to weigh 300lbs, the engine itself weighing in at 279lbs. I don't know what kind of plywood they have in the UK but there's no way this 1/2" plywood box this size was coming anywhere near 20lbs. I couldn't get it through his head that the box would weigh in closer to 60lbs and that was the deal killer. Oh well!
                Dick Johnson
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Ah, another reason I don't eBay things, Unless, they fit in one of the Postal Boxes.

Sorry it went south, I am sure others would be interested in it.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

It's funny too when things start to go south how the dirt starts coming out. We'd discussed the shipping, I agreed to a pallet and some straps. His shipper didn't like that and wanted a crate. He couldn't find anyone to do that, wanted my help. I found someone to build it, told him $150 should cover materials and labor. When I realized this box couldn't be built at 20lbs things went south quickly. I have been accused of: (1) trying to get more $$ out of him, (2) I should have paid for the crate, (3)In his exact words: This deal is a very good return on your investment (I guess that's why I should have paid for the crate??), you get the idea. I found this offensive and ended the deal with the return of his deposit.

Items like this I refuse to sell on ebay, if you want it get your butt over here and check it out, hear it run, make your decision what ever it may be then live with it. I'm sure after he would have received it he would find some reason to say he got screwed, I don't need the games. If I keep it so be it, it really doesn't matter to me.
                    Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
                    X