Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'56 BellBoy Re-Restoration (Step by Step)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another site with great information: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Paint-Fiberglass
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Wow. Looks great. Can I get you to mix up some Surf Green to re-paint my Marathon?!?!?
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Sure, if you don't mind waiting a year or two. There never seems to be enough time in the day...

Shoot me an email if you want to stop by sometime and talk boats . Looks like we're not far from each other.
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Getting closer...

So today was the day to spray the top of the boat. Steps were the same as before. For the topside green I mixed in a little bit of white with the jade mist green to lighten it up a bit.

Came out pretty good with only a few small issues. I think my water filter was on the tail end of its useful life and let a few droplets by. I have a few fisheyes because of it. I'll fix them later once the paint has some time to cure. Starting to look like a boat again!

Here are a few sneak peek pictures...

Mark
          Silverdale, WA.
          1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Awesome job Mark. Love the gloss and without clear? Cool. B

Comment

Wow, Mark. Looks awesome, I can't wait to see it on the water.

Comment

Back on the trailer...

More progress... I was able to get the boat back on the trailer today and pull it out into the sun to get a good look at it. Found a few runs I didnt see before and theres a bit of dirt in a few spots. It shouldnt be a big deal to wet sand and buff out though...

Looking pretty good. The hard parts over.
                Mark
                Silverdale, WA.
                1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

WOW !!!! That sure is beautiful, can't wait to see her on the water. Nice work!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. Sharing the progress with the club has really helped to keep me motivated and on track. I don't think I'd be nearly this far along had I not started this thread...
                    Mark
                    Silverdale, WA.
                    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Quote:"Looking pretty good. The hard parts over.

Way to utilize that Costmo shelter Mark, Bell Boy looks great---

Comment

gee Mark if you're ahead of schedule I could use some help painting a few over here...

;-p

she is looking sweet...

...Ric
                        '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                        '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                        '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Use CAUTION while wet sanding. It will remove your nice gloss but it can be polished back.
                          Looks so SWEEEEETTTTT. I Agree that sharing the progress does get ya motivated so you can continue to hurry, to show more progress.......
                          Mike
                          ps.... Thats how I was able to restore my little boat in 13 weeks flat and after, I made a youtube video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4EQL6yIKbQ
                          I think Ill try your paint process on my next (g3) resto...............
                          >>>Mike<<<

Comment

I'm guessing some one who is that good at home painting knows a thing or two about wet sanding...

Looking good!
                            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                            Past Affairs:
                            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Wondering how this beautiful ol' Bell Boy is coming along??opcorn1:

Comment

I know... I know... I've been slacking over the winter.:Cold1:

The weather is turning warm again though so it's time to get back on track. My goal is still to have her back on the water this summer. Updates should start again in a few weeks. :Underconstruction1:
                                Mark
                                Silverdale, WA.
                                1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Working...
                                X