Ferry Kalakala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferry Kalakala

For some of you that have see her in Tacoma Hylebos Creek Waterway and wonder why they have not started working on her here's why. Chuck

Our State permit for "Cleanup" took us 3.5 years to get, and it is a small
    word for a big little job. Not all cleanup is complete but 50%-60% is done.
    This is defined as only cleanup. And, no shipyard activities or major work
    can be started where the Kalakala is today on the water at her moorage space
    in Hylebos Creek Waterway, Tacoma, WA.

"What the State defines as cleanup, can include and is limited to,
    pre-shipyard activities above the water line without any exterior
    superstructure ever being touched. All the exterior superstructure is defined
    as "major works" and must go to a certified shipyard with a State permit for
    completing all exterior superstructure and below waterline hull repairs and
    painting. This is why she looks so bad today. And, our citizens do not
    understand why nothing is being done on the exterior. We are waiting for the
    $700,000 Save America's Treasures grant to take her to the shipyard. Let's
    HOPE, after the 3rd application, we finally are awarded the funds this year!

Such "Cleanup" includes; removal of all electrical lead cable, overhead
    electrical conduits and mechanical piping, any lead paint pealing from walls
    and ceiling, rusted plating on decks, removal of windows and frames,
    constructing airtight walls in preparations of sandblasting interior
    walls-ceilings-decks(for containing airborne sandblasting contaminates),
    stripping interior walls within flying bridge deck
    (Captains-Engineers-and-crew quarters) and wheel house, and weather
    protection. There are a lot of miscellaneous materials and temporary
    construction items on board that will need to be removed or shifted prior to
    sandblasting specific areas inside the ship on all decks above and below to
    auto deck.
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

I'm glad to see that something is being to her, it would be a real shame if such a unique piece of history were allowed to just rot away. Does anyone know what the eventual plan for her is? I'd love to cruise on her someday.

Comment

Tim, Back in the 50's & 60"s i use to ride her. Here you go. Chuck

http://kalakala.org/
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 5173
        Tim, Back in the 50's & 60"s i use to ride her. Here you go. Chuck

http://kalakala.org/
        Aahhh ... that would explain your love for the ferry boats. I can understand how riding that as a kid would stick with ya.

Comment

Tim, My past and present boats are named after them as well as my business "Chippewa Business Systems" Chuck

Comment

Kalakala

The Kalakala story is a sad one. I read some of the info on the Kalakala web site. The Kalakala should be fully restored and made functional, perhaps with some new technology such as thrusters to make it easier to handle. I'd like to see the Kalakala fully restored and serving as a symbol of environmental awareness. I have a picture of Kalakala in Roche Harbor. Will scan and post..

Thanks for the udate on Kalakala

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

streamlined memories

Thanks for the post. I too used to ride on the "K" We used to call her the "silver Seaslug" I still remember how much she used to vibrate. In spite of my childhood disrespect, I missed her when she was removed from the fleet. I got to see her in Kodiak when I worked for the Sea Alaska Corp during the mid 1970s. It's too bad the Puget Sound region has such a miserable record of maritime historic destruction in the name of attempted preservation.
              Blaine

Comment

Classic lines are why most of us are here, hope they can find some deep pockets, in person the task looks to be overwhelming!

Heres a really cool video of the Kalakala in Vancouver from the good old days,
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLu5wWrpxY

Comment

That's Victoria Harbour. In her later days ,she ran from Port Angeles to Victoria. She never went to Vancouver BC. Chuck

Comment

Silver slug

Of course it was Victoria!, it was late and V turned into Vancouver. Thanks Chuck for any and all efforts that you are putting forth to get her back into some kind of service.

The extraordinary efforts of Peter Bevis and crew to reclaim the Kalakala from the mud in Alaska only to run out of cash/luck/time, is a testament to just how difficult the resto business can be. On a micro scale, most of us attempting to keep these old classics relevant can feel the pain.

We went to an art show on the Kalakala when it was moored on Lake Union, the ship is very cool with interesting energy and useable space for special events. While probably destined to be static, it would be an awesome tourist attraction plying area waterways.

Chuck- Please keep us attuned if you have inside info....perhaps Ricphoto could pull this resto off, between projects!!

Comment

Working...
                    X