• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know

What is the difference between flotsam and jetsam? - Ross
    Ross Henson

Here's how Mr. Webster defines them:

Flotsam

1: floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo ; broadly : floating debris2 a: a floating population (as of emigrants or castaways) <human flotsam> b: miscellaneous or unimportant material <a notebook filled with flotsam and jetsam> c

Jetsam

1 : the part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is cast overboard to lighten the load in time of distress and that sinks or is washed ashore

So Flotsam is wreckage, and Jetsam is all the crap that fisherman throw overboard.

Who says we are to old to learn. Good question Ross.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

That is so funny, I happened to be in Edmonds over the weekend, while on my pre Super Bowl tour of the marina, my brother in law were discussing this subject. Its good to have a place to find out the answers to life's questions! - Ross
      Ross Henson

Comment

An example...

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 671
        So Flotsam is wreckage, and Jetsam is all the crap that fisherman throw overboard.
        Jetsam: Empty beer cans.

Flotsam: The remains of your boat after you do something stupid like drinking beer while boating... :eek:

While I was at the local lake with my Grandfather, we saw four rather large "fishermen" board a large rubber raft with all their gear, including a case of beer. Grandpa remarked "there goes an accident waiting to happen". About 30 minutes later we watched as four wet, overweight idiots swam to shore.
        "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Working...
        X