Mercury Mark 30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Mark 30

One of these days I need to figure out how to put this old Merc back together. She's a beauty with low hours, and in original condition. Its begging me to bring it back to its former glory.

Question for the Mercaholics... Myself not being an engine expert, is there anything available online I can use as a guide to reassemble it? The carbs and most everything on the front were removed to replace the tiller with remote controls. I have 2 boxes of parts and no clue where to begin.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Mk 30 First Aid

Mark,
    Those Mk30s were sweet little hot rods with a very cool purr to them.
    I think they were made from about '56-'58?
    It is definitely more difficult to start with a couple boxes of parts, but it can be done.
    The first thing you should do (IMHO) is go to NAPA and get an aerosol can of ENGINE FOGGING SPRAY. It is an oil that you can spray into the cylinders and in the holes where the carburetors mount (or straight into the carburetors if they are mounted) as you or a pal slowly rotates the motor either by use of the rewind or simply by placing a socket and ratchet onto the flywheel nut to rotate things.
    NEVER rotate the crankshaft counter-clockwise,...ALWAYS rotate it clockwise. (related to the water pump impeller that will get discussed down the road)
    This fogging spray oil has some cool additives in it that help it cling to everything rather than simply running off.
    Once you have done this you should check the compressions with an automotive compression tester. Have a pal use the rewind if there is no electric starter.
    Remove all the spark plugs so it will rotate easier - having resistance only in the cylinder that the compression tester is installed.
    Continue to rotate the engine with gusto until the compression testor stops climbing.
    If it doesn't climb anymore with additional pulls on the rewind or spins with the electric starter you are there - write down that compression reading and move to the next cylinder.
    Once this has been completed post the results and we'll discuss whether it is time to jump into the carburetors and ignition or if we need to stop and locate piston rings, etc.
    This will also be the time I'll be suggesting a manual, and we'll start trying to locate one for you - or photocopy existing manuals - which I will deny, deny, deny, any knowledge of any such suggestion.
    Attached Files
    Doc Frankenmerc
    Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Thanks for the advice Thom. I'll do the fogging this weekend.

The word from Marty is the motor has extremely low hours and he did hear it run in a tank before he bought it. He started the process of converting it to remote controls then got caught up in a move. Its been sitting ever since in the half assembled state. All of the paint is original (looks very good) and the motor still has the lead seal. Can't wait to hear this thing fire up!
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Working...
      X