1000 Shorty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 Shorty

Just need to put together a short stick lower and she's done. This "63 850 had it's powerhead removed (decapitated?) and installed on the Seafair Sunliner earlier this summer, (after the 'round Fidalgo' escapade!) I reinstalled a "62 1000 powerhead that I got with a busted up tower (showed good, even compression). Someone had already repainted the tower and the top, so I just had to touch it up. I like the look of the earlier 800 cowl wraps. I had one with a rattle can black paint job on it. I used paint stripper to remove the paint down to the merc paint (I knew from previous attemts that the merc paint would be un touched by it.) Put it all together (set the points and all that) and crowned it with one of those numberless faceplates (I'll paint some numbers on it soon). Not sure what it's going on, but there's a few candidates around here! Gotta keep busy. Ive been collecting stuff, so now that the rainy season is here, I have the time to piece some motors together. To me it's very relaxing after a hard day at my paying job!
    Attached Files
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Big Stack

Sweet.
    Now with you and Thom, I am thinking Merc's again....
    Really liking the white smaller ones...maybe a pair of twins some day, who knows

Nice Job !!
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

That looks like just the ticket! I have been entertaining a notion of going to the dark side for power on my latest project.Don't have any Merc parts stock-piled or knowledge, but I guess I will soon. Been looking at a "63" 65 hp to trade with a guy.- Ross
      Ross Henson

Comment

Ross, if you go with the early 650, I have 4 somewhat complete powerheads for parts. I stripped them for the towers and cowls for my 6 cyl projects.
        Gordon
        Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Helmar, I know where there's a set of twin 50's
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 7976
            Helmar, I know where there's a set of twin 50's
            Really.....White ones to boot ??? :eek:

I have one really nice one right now and plan on getting the lower unit it needs from Thom.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by halffast32, post: 7974
              Ross, if you go with the early 650, I have 4 somewhat complete powerheads for parts. I stripped them for the towers and cowls for my 6 cyl projects.
              Gordon
              Gordon,
              Do you have an early 650 powerhead with (4) good compression readings?
              I 'might' be interested if the price is right and there are no indications of salt water. I have a complete 650, but the powerhead has old salt issues that IMHO restricts it from being restored.
              It is very cool that the early FGS Stacks can use the 650 DSH & L/U. The swivel bushings in a (4) cyl DSH are usually in much better condition that the original Stack DSHs,
              I have a 650 DSH in the middle of the 800FGS seen on my g3. It has a 1000 lower unit and lots of other Merc Magic performed too.
              Thom
              Attached Files
              Doc Frankenmerc
              Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Thom, I havn't checked any of them out. I'd bet there is a good one out there. Private message me. Gordon
                Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Working...
                X