Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Homelite and Bearcats are in use today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Homelite and Bearcats are in use today?

Just wondering how many Homelites and Bearcats are in use today?
    How many Homelite 55s
    How many Bearcat 55s
    And Bearcat 85s.

I run a 62 Homelite 55 on my pontoon.
    Got a little setback this fall and have to fix the distribitor driveshaft.
    Thanks to Bill I have the parts I need.
    Just got to do it. It will be a winter project.
    I love running it.
    Attached Files

Okay, I hear so much about Homelites and Bearcats! Aren't they all just Crosley engines that got stood on end? If Crosley engines were so good, how come they aren't selling Crosley's anymore?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Won't pass EPA standards

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 8116
        Okay, I hear so much about Homelites and Bearcats! Aren't they all just Crosley engines that got stood on end? If Crosley engines were so good, how come they aren't selling Crosley's anymore?
        The engines were good, but nobody wanted sub-compact cars in the late 40's and 50's. Plus, they was uuugly!

Comment

Truth is, I kind of like the Crosleys but, then, I'm the guy who collected Corvairs thinking they were more collectible than early Mustangs. Gee, if I'd made the right choice, I probably could own another boat and put a Bearcat or a Homelite on it!
          Jerry

Comment

I've got 2 55's and one 85 that have been in use. My shortshaft 55 is running but not up to par yet and I don't have a boat to use it on. One more 55 in the works.
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 8119
              Truth is, I kind of like the Crosleys but, then, I'm the guy who collected Corvairs thinking they were more collectible than early Mustangs. Gee, if I'd made the right choice, I probably could own another boat and put a Bearcat or a Homelite on it!
              Jerry
              Jerry
              You should do a Ebay search for Corvairs.I used to own many,even raced them at Lions Drag strip and Pamona back in the day.I even had a V8 '68. Talk about an E Ticket ride. I've thought about picking one up in the near future.Not Mustang prices but darn close to it.
              1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Oh yeah, we have a Homelite 55 that we pick up from the man ,Bill R, mounted on a Stiletto. Should see the water this year.
                1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Don't think I want to know. I had one 1965 Corsa 180 hp turbocharged convertible. I was second owner and it was very nice with low mileage. I stored it for some years. Finally, took it to auction, along with a 150 hp turbocharged 1964 convertible that I had ground up restoration on. A beautiful British racing green paint job. The original Corsa sold for $1,800 (about what I had paid for it) and the restored car went for around $2,400 (about half of what I had in it). Also had restored a 1961 Rampside truck that had an all aluminum camper that was built especially for that truck. It was stored in a large chicken house along with many other collectible cars when a heavy snow collapsed the roof. The camper was trashed and the truck eventually went the same way. I had put a 140 hp. rebuilt motor in it with a 4 barrel carb. Really a great truck. Finally, a 1961 that I rebuilt the motor and had professionally painted and velour upholstered slid down a launch ramp and under water while running. Ended up selling it for $80 to a guy who planned to do a ground up restoration. Corvairs just didn't do right by me but I loved to drive them! Oops. You think this isn't boat related? Read again about the car that went in the water with my 17 foot boat.
                  Jerry

Comment

I own two of the 55 Bearcats with only one running at the moment.
                    Got enough spare parts thanks to Lon to get the second one up and going, maybe this summer.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Homlite for me!

I have a long shaft 55 on my BellBoy 16. I get a kick out of the comments we get on the docks and such. Really worked out nice for a cruiser and no problems to speak of. I do have to stop and drain a little fuel out of the tank on occasion, as running at speed will cause the tank to overflow. - Ross
                      Attached Files
                      Ross Henson

Comment

Originally posted by BillR, post: 0
                        Lots of 55's running.
                        I'm getting ready to fire up 4 more of them.
                        Will put up some more test data this week.
                        Joe what is the scoop on your second Bearcat?
                        Its one I found in a garage sale in Portland. Just kept it quiet as it looks pretty bad. Mounts broken and some parts stripped off to help make the other one I have running.
                        It did run and I have most of what I need to make a runner out of it.
                        Soon I hope.
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Old Pics

Bill -

I remember that long-ago run from Coulon fondly; seems like it was around 2001 (?). I showed up with a not-so-classic but still old Bayliner runabout with 35hp Johnson (in the center photo, between your boat and Dennis Huffman's Bell Boy). Those early meets were exciting, and it seems like that was one of the first times that a bunch of boats were actually running...not just hanging out on their trailers in a parking lot.

Good times...

- Marty
                          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I also run a cat !

I have a Home Light on my 17' Skagit Convertible, I love it especially the controls and the way it shifts and never dies. It's alot better on fuel than my mighty Merc ! Its also one of Bill Roberts Grand children !
                            Attached Files
                            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
                            X