Way early but Opening day???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way early but Opening day???

I know it is way early but has anyone started thinking about opening day theme decor?? My posse has several large scale ideas but we don't want to go too big if the rest of the group wants to stay simple...

If anyone has any ideas or wants to try to be coordinator for the event it would be nice to get the whole group more "united" this year..
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Opening Day

Brian -

Okay...well you can't just hint at Big Ideas and leave us in the dark, Brian! C'mon...let's hear what your posse has come up with...?

We really could use someone to coordinate the event, stimulate enthusiasm, boat-decoration and costume ideas, etc. Sounds like you might be just the person for the job!

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Our "BIGG" ideas

Well...

Our first idea is the most extreme. We were thinking about building a "horse" to "pull" our covered wagon. Our faithful swimmer from last year would be riding this horse out in front of the boat. The boat would be decorated like a covered wagon in such a way as not to block the beauty of the colorful boat. Then we would be towing a band of oultaws in inflatable behind the boat. This idea is rather complicated due to the towable being placed in front of the boat...

Idea number two is much simpler but still extravagant. The boat would be decorated with a giant sheriff badge on the bow with occupants dressed as law enforcement. Then towed behind the glassic would be a small dingy decorated as a "Drunk Tank" filled with criminals. This idea is favored by my crew as they will stay dryer in a dingy...

You might notice a trend in both ideas being lots of poeple... This is because after last years towable experience we have enticed a lot more friends into participating with us, but my glassic only holds 4 - 5 people...

Sketches of our ideas are in the works I will post when completed..
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Opening Day.....

Hey Brian,
        Glad to hear you are enthused,this event seems to what we make of it so starting earlier can only help.
        Your Horse idea reminds me of an item we tried to build in the 70`s,with a Jet powered craft with remote controls intended for a Waterskier to both drive with ,and use to be towed behind the 2 cycle 70 hp Chaparel powered vessel.We removed the heavy cables and controls and put Bicycle handlebars on it and tried to make a personnel watercraft from it.Only trouble was,it was a deep vee hull that rolled over if a body got on it!
        We started it up at Stan Sayres one sunny day and the test driver was able to push off the dock then gassed it up.....only to start spinning in place with 2 stroke smoke and water flying every which way.The rope to the bow was all we could see as the thing spun in place until the guy could shut it down.Looked like a cartoon scene,too funny.
        It was called a "Ski Wee" and was from Idaho but never caught on for some reason.....seems the personnel watercraft or JetSkis were born soon afterwards.Wondered why that asian guy ran off with his camera and jumped into his car!
        The SkiWee would be interesting if it had some more oomph.
        My Safe Boat would make a good dunk tank hull as it can be filled to the gunnel and will still float,actually better but moving it will take some effort.....sold the 115 Yamaha so it won`t plane when full as before.It is still too young to be a classic so another boat will have to do unless we disguise it.
        Pretty sure we`d not be able to throw things at a target ,so it would have to be faked somehow.

Bring on the ideas people!
        Tim M
        Attached Files
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
        X