Got another Merc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got another Merc

Picked up a boat,motor trailer combo. Powered by a 68 Merc 650. Shot in the dark. Not stuck. prop is excellent. All for $200.00 If motor isn't any good I'm not out much. The photo shows it snow covered . I got the snow off of it now. But won't start to check it out until the weather breaks in the spring.
    Attached Files

Combo AND a 650!

Wow, what a bargain. The 4 cyl Mercury 650 is an incredible motor. Mine powers a Dorsett Catalina. You'll fall in love with it and probably change your name to MercDave

Comment

I bought a 1965 Merc 650 for $500 a couple of years back and spent $3,200 on repairs on in and ended up giving it away. Not to say that they aren't good motors. Powered my 18 foot Larson Sea Lion quite nicely on those rare occassions when it ran.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I also have a nice little 56 Merc MK 55 m and a 62 Merc 700 FGS.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mercs

A fellow mercaholic! They are beautiful creatures...I have about 15...I must say we all cringed when Lootas1 described his horrible experiences with a cursed 650 several months ago.... if all else fails with our mercs, we do have a safety net with Dr Frankenmerc here in the NW

Comment

Weened on a 56 Elgin 7.5 on grandpas fishing boat. Then he bought grandma a Herters Flying Fish powered by a 58 Merc MK 30. I helped wear that out and grandpa replaced it with a 66 Merc 500. Ran great for 10 more years.
            I love outboards no matter who makes them.
            And also glad Dr. Frankenmerc and others are here to assist us Merc owners.

Comment

Elgindave have I got a deal for you. I have two 1951 7 1/2 horse Elgins I'll give you if you hurry out to Washington and get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 8724
                Elgindave have I got a deal for you. I have two 1951 7 1/2 horse Elgins I'll give you if you hurry out to Washington and get them.
                Hey Jerry, I'll take 'em!

Comment

The good news is I have the original owners manual for one of these identical motors. The other good news is I have spent a couple hundred at minimum fixing up one. The bad news is: it still needs fixing (carb, I believe. It will run briefly before running out of fuel) and the second motor is a parts motor. I got it as a complete motor but used some of the parts off it and I'll have to round up what I have. The lower unit was cracked and welded. Other than that, It isn't frozen.
                  I'm on Lummi Island and could meet your somewhere like in Bellingham or you are welcome to come to the house. Call me at (360) 758-7129 or we can work it out via email (email address removed by moderator).
                  Regards, Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

I took the liberty of removing your email address from your post to avoid you getting a new flood of spam. I'd hate for you to get that as a result of doing something nice for me!

I'll call ya.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the offer.
                      Just a little far for me to travel. I live in Mich.
                      I had quite a few Elgins a few years back. I sold some to a guy in Kentucky and all my parts motors to Art DeKalb in New York.
                      I still have my 1950 7.5hp plus about 10 more I want to keep for a while 90% of them run. From the 1.25hp to 7.5hp. Oh plus my 54 16hp.
                      I started to reduce my Elgin collection after I started to branch out to other brand outboards.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Okay, if you won't drive 4,000 miles to get a couple of old outboards, I'm giving them to Tim McCrain!
                        Jerry

Comment

Elgins

Love that 16 hp Elgin. Currently cleaning up a 16 Scott...wonder if Scott Atwater made the 16 Elgin........have a twin tank waterwitch to get running next

Comment

It is a West Bend built Elgin. They first come out with the 16 in 1950 and made them until 54.

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 8740
                              Okay, if you won't drive 4,000 miles to get a couple of old outboards, I'm giving them to Tim McCrain!
                              Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X