2011 Event Idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Event Idea...

Every morning I get up in the dark, find the woodstove, hunker down and start a fire using old newspapers and wood scraps from the shop as kindling. This is my moment to catch up on the news--briefly scanning pages of the Kitsap Sun before crumpling pages and tossing them into the box.

If it weren't for the fire-starting ritual, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what was happening in the world, since we don't tend to watch TV news or subscribe to the papers. (Our fire starter comes from Mo's sister and brother-in-law, who pass along bags of old papers after they've read them.)

So, anyway, I was perusing an October, 2009 Kitsap Sun this morning while putting a match to the kindling, and noticed that Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and waters of British Columbia including the Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound and other channels to the north, have altogether been proclaimed the Salish Sea by the Washington Board of Geographic Names.

Well, huh. The article was quick to point out that the other names--Puget Sound, Strait of Georgia, etc.--were not disappearing. But Salish Sea, inspired by the Coast Salish natives who once thrived on the waters of western Washington and British Columbia, intends to bring a certain kind of ecological unification to our region's waterways, since the salmon, orcas and other critters don't recognize the artificial political boundaries between our state and the neighboring province to the north.

If you do a Google search for Salish Sea, you'll find the attached map, denoting the boundaries of the newly-named labryinth of waterways.

Getting to the point, I'd like to suggest that we organize a Northwest Classic Boat Club exploration of the Salish Sea during the summer of 2011--an expansion of our Puget Sound End to End cruise, to include the San Juans, the B.C. Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound and a few of the stunning channels to the north of Desolation. We could perhaps make it a loop trip that started on a given Saturday, went all week and concluded the following weekend--in other words, one week off work.

But where to start? Since the Salish Sea extends from Olympia to points north of Desolation Sound, we could begin and end in our State Capitol. Members living to the north who didn't want to trailer to Olympia could launch in Tacoma, Gig Harbor, Seattle, Edmonds, Everett, Anacortes or Bellingham and join the armada as it meandered north toward British Columbia.

Most likely we'd leave the Anacortes area en masse, cruise through the San Juan Islands and enter British Columbia's Gulf Islands. We'd then cruise north along Vancouver Island's eastern shore to the Nanaimo area before crossing the Strait of Georgia and entering Desolation Sound. After what might be a few days of exploration in the Desolation Sound region we could continue north to the far reaches of the Salish Sea, near Stuart Island (about 40 miles north of Desolation Sound), before turning for home. On the return leg we could cruise down the B.C. mainland's Sunshine Coast, perhaps enjoying a stop in Vancouver, before crossing into Washington waters near Blaine.

Some of us could go all the way back to Olympia, or end the cruise wherever we started along the way.

We have talked in the past about the possibility of a longer cruise to Southeast Alaska, but my sense is that only a few members would be able to (or want to) take at least a full month off for such an adventure. One week spent exploring our own Salish Sea might make more sense--and be more achievable for a greater number of members.

Having cruised to Desolation Sound and beyond in the past, I can guarantee you that you'd love the trip. B.C. is where it's at, for me, when it comes to cruising...and by going with a carefully organized version of the buddy system, we could assure that everyone would be utterly safe during the adventure.

So....what's your response to the idea? If several of you think you might be up for it, we could begin planning fairly soon, perhaps including a meeting between now and this summer to discuss possible routes, dates, costs, cruise checklists and other details.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Sounds like a superb plan! Gave up my woodstove about five years ago and miss the morning ritual of getting a good fire going and some quiet time to read and think.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Marty,

That sounds like a great idea!! That is an event that we would plan to attend. On behalf of next years commodores we suggest that you begin the planning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Bis, post: 8859
        Marty,

That sounds like a great idea!! That is an event that we would plan to attend. On behalf of next years commodores we suggest that you begin the planning process.

Joe, On behalf of next years commodores ? What are you talking about ? Your Gig is for 5 years. Did you not know that ? Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Perhaps we missed that in the brochure. Must have been in the fine print?

Comment

Joe, That fine print will do it to you everytime ! LOL Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

5 Years?!? Who shortened it? We didn't vote on that!

Comment

best laid plans

Our family is looking forward to this event already, great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bis, post: 8862
                  Perhaps we missed that in the brochure. Must have been in the fine print?
                  Yep, 5 years, unless your challenged for office.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

When do we leave ?

Comment

Salish Sea Exploration

Andy (and others...) -

I'd love to leave right now, or sometime this year, but it seems as though the NWCBC 2010 calendar is already chock-a-block with events, so we'll probably have to plan the trip for 2011.

Maybe those who are potentially interested in the Salish Sea Cruise could have a sidebar meeting on Saturday, April 10, during the Spring Tune-Up Run on Lake Sammamish...while enjoying barbequed ribs at Jack and Kathie Dando's place on the lake (?) We could go over some of the basics during the first planning session--the tentative route, timetables, checklist of things to have aboard, possible accommodations for those who don't want to sleep aboard their boats, etc.

Who else might be interested in the basic cruise idea, described at the top of this thread?

- Marty
                      Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty,
                        I would be interested in the section Desolution Sound and North, is there still a group and or are you still interested in going to Desolution Sound or Priness Louisa Inlet this year?

I've boated this section a couple of times years ago if you've never been there it's a trip of a life time, a must do for a boater. At the time I did it, I was in a small 12 foot sailboat with a cuddy cabin with a 4 hp evinrude backup motor, so as you can understand it's an easy trip for a large 16 to 18 foot power boat.
                        1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Salish Sea Exploration

Lowell -

Maybe we can talk about options during the April 10 Spring Tune-Up Run on Lake Sammamish.

To do the entire Salish Sea cruise, from Olympia to north of Desolation Sound and back, would probably take 9 days (two weekends and the weekdays in-between), but some of us might be able to organize a shorter version of the trip for this summer--like trailering up to Lund, B.C., launching there and exploring the Desolation Sound area as a preview for the longer 2011 event...(?) Not sure when we could fit it in, considering the already crowded 2010 NWCBC event schedule, but it's sure worth talking about. (Could potentially be a substitute for the San Juans cruise, if enough folks wanted to do that.)

- Marty

Comment

Salish Sea Adventure

Ever since mentioning the idea of a Salish Sea Adventure, I've been staring at charts, checking tide and current charts, and otherwise dreaming about what should be a nine-day (two-weekend) cruise from Puget Sound to north of Desolation Sound, and back.

One conclusion reached is that, if we assume nine days is the outer limit of time available to most participants, we shouldn't try to start the cruise in Olympia...but rather farther north in Puget Sound, so that we allow plenty of time for explorations in the gorgeous waters of British Columbia.

Here's a for-instance look at a possible itinerary, realizing that when you embark on a cruise like this, weather and water conditions will dictate changes along the way...not to mention the average speed and preferences of those who participate:

Day One (Saturday) - Run from upper Puget Sound (Anacortes) to Bedwell Harbor for customs check, then onto Glenthorne Passage, Prevost Island, where there's a spectacular anchorage...and friends with a cabin and float space.

Day Two (Sunday) - Secret Island to lunch stop at Conover Cove, Wallace Island, then onward to an overnight stop in the Nanaimo area.

Day Three (Monday) - Nanaimo north along the Vancouver Island shoreline to the Comox-Courtenay area, probably overnighting in the Comox marina.

Day Four (Tuesday) - Cross the Strait of Georgia from Comox, refueling at Refuge Cove in Desolation Sound and overnighting in some quiet cove there.

Day Five (Wednesday) - Explore Desolation Sound area including Teakerne Arm (waterfall dropping straight into saltwater cove), possibly overnighting in beautiful Melanie Cove.

Day Six (Thursday) - Run south from Desolation Sound to Secret Cove, along the B.C. mainland's Sunshine Coast.

Day Seven (Friday) - Secret Cove across the Strait of George to Ganges, Saltspring Island (in the Gulf Islands).

Day Eight (Saturday) - Ganges to Friday Harbor (customs check-in), overnighting in Fisherman Bay or another nearby anchorage.

Day Nine (Sunday) - Back to Anacortes or other departure points in northern Puget Sound, and home.

To reiterate, this is not a firm plan...merely an idea of the kind of route we might want to follow, going not more than 50 miles per day so that there's a lot of time for side explorations, wilderness walks and general hanging-out in the beautiful and quiet coves of B.C. waters.

As suggested earlier, we can talk about preparations for the cruise during NWCBC's Spring Tune-Up Run, on Lake Sammamish on Saturday, April 10.

In terms of tides and currents, perhaps the best time for the event in 2011 would be a departure on Saturday, August 20, returning on Sunday the 28th.

If members really want to schedule the cruise for this summer, rather than waiting until 2011, we could consider substituting the Salish Sea Adventure for the Puget Sound, End to End event, departing on Saturday, August 28, and returning on Sunday, September 4. (Or during some other time period, subject to agreement by all participants.)

- Marty

Comment

Salish Sea, Puget Sound, Washington Sound

The story I heard many years ago is that the entire region was once called the Salish Sea. The southern portion from Point Wilson south called Puget Sound of the Salish Sea. From Point Wilson north, Washington Sound of the Salish Sea. Today the entire region is refered to as the Salish Watershed.

I like the idea of cruising the northern portion of the Salish Sea. My intention with the Saratogan is to cruise all of this region in detail, circumnavigate Vancouver Island and transit the inside passage to Glacier Bay and everything in between.

Count me in........

McSkagit
                              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
                              X