Rosario has a sore bottom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosario has a sore bottom

Gave up on reattaching the Keelguard on Rosario after using another tube of the 60 second two-part, self mixing epoxy with no positive results after two hours with a bunch of C clamps. Boy, it was almost as hard to pull off as it was to put on and now the area where it was attached is covered with the 3M stuff that came with Keelguard plus a fair amount of Devcon epoxy. I tried wiping the still sticky stuff off with a rag soaked in acetone. That isn't working. Am now scraping with putty knife. I hear Rosario shouting "ouch" and don't touch my bottom. I get that a lot! What to do? What to do?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Natures sandpaper

Just run it up on the beach a few times. John

Comment

Originally posted by John Berg, post: 11750
      Just run it up on the beach a few times. John
      Brilliant!

Comment

Rosario is saying ,I want CHUCK ! ! lol ! I was going to tell you the same thing that John said. Maybe you should have purchase "Glue" only in the first place. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Try white vinegar, works great for clean up on epoxy. better than acetone or lacquer thinner much cheaper and non toxic. the epoxy you applied probably hasn't set up totally yet due to the low temp. The epoxy I am using is still soft after a week when it is this cold out. If you can dent it with a fingernail it will come off with a little soaking. Good Luck, Russ

Comment

Putty Blade Tuning

Jerry,
            A friend taught me to slightly file or grind the corners of new Putty Blades ,then soften the corner some more with finer Emery cloth so you leave less gouges.
            Not many chemicals can reverse a 2 part product if kicked fully ,you pretty much gotta scrape or file to get close,then maybe wetsand the remainder.You might try a Citrus stripper and let it soak an hour or two,then scrape with blade and see if it cuts thru or not.
            Another shot is to look up a Janatorial supplier who will have Industrial strength Goof-Off and other wonder products not sold in stores .Auto Body paint suppliers may have something too.....if your not into the scraping or sanding.
            Sorry you`re in a pickle.
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

No chance painting over the whole mess will only cut my top speed and fuel economy a bit? Color me lazy but I like to think a 76 year old guy shouldn't be laying on his back under a boat for ver long.

Comment

Jerry ,
                Bring it over and I`ll do it for you!
                I owe you one since you were the lone guy who sent help to cover my debacle in Jan.(other stuffed my pockets while I was half under and going down,I DO remember most of you.....).
                Can`t have you hitting your head now,doh,that one`s been done too....make that ,we can`t have you hitting your head again.
                You can watch me roll around and see what works and then get erdone!
                TimM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim for the generous offer. Guess you must have noticed the condition of the top of my head. I think I must be growing taller in my old age as I keep bashing my skull on things that I never used to hit at all (or is it just that my eyesight is failing?) If I get out there and try some cleaning today, there is hope. That 60 second two part stuff doesn't seem to have fully kicked yet. BTW, has anyone any use for the Keelguard I removed before I haul it to the dump? It is all in one piece with just a couple of small nicks where I tried to accommodate the curve at the bow. It is 7 feet long and black.
                  Jerry

Comment

Got out my Citristriip stripping gel to take the epoxy (and paint) off Rosario's keel. Container says for wood, metal, masonry surfaces so I called the manufacturer to see if I could use it to pull epoxy and paint off fiberglass and he said no way. Don't use on fiberglass. It will damage the hull. Thought I'd share this with those who might have been thinking of removing paint from their boat. Tried vinegar with slight result. I am actually making progress working maybe 20 minutes at a time. Tomorrow I'll go to town and buy some more of that burgundy paint. Don't plan to do the whole hull -- just the places I messed up with the Keelguard and some where the bunk boards have scraped paint off. Resolve to put her in the water yet before summer is over.

Comment

Working...
                    X