Sportsman work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportsman work

Thought I might share some work on my Sportsman project. Had a problem with the primer, a local paint supplier provided me with a two part primer but gave me the wrong hardner. After a couple of days it was dry but didn't cure. After speaking with the supplier they agreed to give me new primer with the correct hardner, and enough sandpaper to strip off the hull.
    The problem was the uncured primer plugged up the sandpaper immediately. After some trial and error I discovered I could heat it up with a hot air gun and scrape with a sharp putty knife. A slow process to be sure but I finally got it cleaned up and reprimered.
    This primer sanded good and yesterday was a snow day for me so I was able to ger the hull painted. It came out ok so in the next day or two I should be able to turn the hull back up-rite and set the upper deck back on. Looking forward to that! Here are some pics. - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

:eek:

Looks good Ross. You should have asked the local paint supplier to offer up some help in scraping the hull. They might be more careful the next time.

Man that was a lot of work. Bet your hands were sore after all that. Glad it all turned out okay.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Ross
      Lots of work but looking like it was worth the effort. What type of primer/paint did you use? Barry

Comment

Yes that was quite a bit of extra work! About two days I guess. I usually use Dupont stuff, when I was doing fleet refinishing for the International dealership that was what we used mostly there.
        Thought I'd give the local parts store a try I had used Napa paint many years ago doing used car work, but of coarse the product line was completely different. So I ended up with a pre-occupied sales rep and me unfamiliar with the product, that is a bad combo. On the up side they were stand up guys, and good for a new batch of supplies.
        For the color coat I used Dupont acrylic urethane. I was in for another shock when I went for paint. The stuff I had in mind Croma One a urethane as well was almost 400. a spray able gallon. So I settled for Duponts second line of paint which is called Nason,I suspect very similar materials without the advertising.- Ross
        Ross Henson

Comment

Thanks Ross
          I like to keep track of what people use that works. Things were different when I learned to spray and all we had was basic enamel and lacquer. I've done a little bit of acrylic enamel work and found it very easy to use so now I'm looking forward to using the HVLP system if I ever get that far. LOL Barry

Comment

Working...
          X