Anyone up for Lake Shasta??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for Lake Shasta??

Since the club doesn't have anything going on the weekend of June 21 - 23 2012, I am considering joining the Golden State Glassics gang, on California's beautiful Lake Shasta.

My Daughter now lives in San Francisco, so it could be a good semi-mid point to spend a weekend with her and fellow boat nuts.

It would be awesome if we could get a few adventurers to caravan the 600 miles and represent the PNW. Apparently camping
    reservations are just now being taken, but will go very quickly.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...g

[ame="http://goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?t=3104"]S H A S T A Believe it or not - it's time...... - Golden State Glassics[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4JFrognGs"]2011 Shasta Boat Fling Picnic Cruise (2 of 2).AVI - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.shastalake.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0HmZs-7sGs&feature=related"]Early Morning Run @ Lake Shasta.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Bucket List

That is one that's on my Bucket List ! I would love to make it but not sure if it will be this year ? Sure would be a nice vacation especially with the golden group to show the way ??? :boater1:
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Do it

Lake Shasta is a great place with lots to explore (caverns, coves, the dam, fishing, etc.). We first took our now-restored boat there for a vacation when it was brand new in 1975, and have gone on several family vacations there since then, usually renting a houseboat and towing "Bluejacket". It can be almost unbearably hot there in July/August, so keep a watchful eye on the weather. Whatever, you are sure to have lots of fun. Go for it.

Comment

G... I saw that and was thinking about the same trip with the Dorsett Saratoga as it would be a lot lighter than the Skagit 20. Being i'am not into camping only in a motorhome or trailer ( been there done that when the kids were growing up ) i was looking at that I-5 hotel by the I-5 bridge. We did go down in 2006 to one of their event but without a boat. I was thinking of going on to SFO and Carmel as we have not been there for quite a while. I think i know were i could ditch the boat in Redding until we come north again.Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Lake Shasta you bet

This is one of the best events of the year. Warm weather and no salt water to clean off , just shasta clay. For us it not that much farther than some of the A events.

See you there
          Tom n Robyn

Comment

Hey Tom, Yea it is a nice area , but there is one thing i'am not to hot about when looking at past pictures of events is that red clay ! If we go i will just leave the snap down carpeting at home but still will take it to one of those quick car wash places. It would drive me crazy to wait till we got home. Right Rick ? Chuck

Comment

carpet

Several people put carpeting on thier beach parking spot. by the time one gets to their site, the feet are clean.

We will be going for 4 nights. On the way back home we will be stopping by the Klamath Wildlife Refuge for a few days.

Comment

San Juan Adventure

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 20448
                Hey Tom, Yea it is a nice area , but there is one thing i'am not to hot about when looking at past pictures of events is that red clay ! If we go i will just leave the snap down carpeting at home but still will take it to one of those quick car wash places. It would drive me crazy to wait till we got home. Right Rick ? Chuck
                I know what you mean - I like to give the boat a rinse especially in the Salt Water. Its hard to believe all the grit that gets on the boat just from Lake Whatcom. When I pull it out of the lake my waterline is clearly marked LOL
                Lake Shasta is a bit close to the San Juan adventure so I'm going to stay a bit closer to home 600 miles @15 M.P.G. (on a good day ) @$3.50 Gal is about $300 round trip just for the tow rig - I will have to stay and buy local VeryBigSmile this year :shocked3:
                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Rick, It sure is nice to see someone that is as bad as me pulling the boat out of the water and wanting to wash down the trailer and flash the motor. i remember that story you told me about at Everett after Blake Island. when it come to the "little things" like flushing salt water and lake water , using boat soap, towel drying it off after use and , covering it up even when it's in the shelter washing it again before taking it out the next time. Chuck

Comment

Not Yet !

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 20457
                    Rick, It sure is nice to see someone that is as bad as me pulling the boat out of the water and wanting to wash down the trailer and flash the motor. i remember that story you told me about at Everett after Blake Island. when it come to the "little things" like flushing salt water and lake water , using boat soap, towel drying it off after use and , covering it up even when it's in the shelter washing it again before taking it out the next time. Chuck
                    I'm not quite as bad as you ! I don't have a 12 volt Vacume cleaner and no canvas sock to cover my Burgee --- YET
                    I do have a clothes line in the engine room to dry my socks ? So I'm getting there - Baby steps I also don't have 3 boats hid behind the neighbors fence either . :Police1:
                    I got your message - call me if you're up ! 8:44 Sat. I'll be up for awhile
                    Rick & Sarah

Comment

I'm glad there is some interest in heading South for a few days. Holly and I plus my daughter Jessica are looking forward to exploring Lake Shasta with everyone. Jessie graduated from Humboldt State this Summer, and is now living the good life commuting to SF via passenger ferry from Alameda.

Perhaps she could hitch a ride back to the bay area, if Chuck decides to go boatless down to Carmel??

Sorry to hear that Rick can't make it, but looking forward to meeting Robyn and Tom. Hoping some more club members can swing a nice vacation.

I haven't been able to post anything on GSG since they have the intelligence to have locked me out of posting--yet. We are weighing the benefits of camping vs getting a room.:Raining:

Comment

Lake Shasta

Do U have a date for this Fanstatic excursion. ? Have u CONSIDERED RENTING A HOUSE BOAT AS BASE CAMP. We do this at Powell and Mead.
                        Ingvar Swedster Carlson .
                        Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Comment

Hi Ingvar,

Check out the info on page 1 of this post, there is a link to the GSG site with all of the pertinent info. Let us know what you think.

Comment

hasta be Shasta...

Despite a slow start to winter in Northern California, plenty of liquid has fallen from the heavens to fill the lake by June. We have just reserved a spot at Hirz Bay campground, to hang over the weekend of June 22, with the folks at Golden State Glassics. [ame="http://www.goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?t=3104"]S H A S T A Believe it or not - it's time...... - Golden State Glassics[/ame]

I hope that a few more of you have found some quarters in your couch, so you can justify the 600 mile excursion to explore this beautiful area with your pride and joy in tow.

:boater1:

Greg

Comment

Working...
                            X