Opening Day of Boating Season Parade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day of Boating Season Parade?

Um... I just noticed that the opening day of boating season, Seattle's big boat parade is scheduled for May 5 2012. A few questions:

Is there a reason why the club does not participate?

I'm going to try to go, does anybody else want to go? The registration deadline is Apr 26.
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Sean,

At the annual planning meeting there was a general lack of interest in doing this event again, the consensus was that it is a lot of time bobbing around wishing you hadn't had that last cup of coffee waiting for a few minutes of parade. Several people (including myself) said "glad I did it but not all that interested in doing it again." The members that have lead our participation in the parade in the past were not excited about doing it again and no one else stepped forward.

Tim

Comment

Sean, During our planning meeting for this year there were three events that were canceled. Some of us felt that if we have fewer events maybe we would have more particepation in the ones we have scheduled.
      We canceled the opening day parade event because the interest in this event has been going down sharply in the last few years.
      The event down in Tacoma were we took a bunch of U.S. veterans out for a boat ride was canceled because there were just to many hoops to jump through to get it organized and nobody really wanted to take on that challenge.
      The Stehekin adventure was canceled sighting safety concerns. The weather and water conditions on Lake Chelan can be potentualy dangerous.
      Another reason we cut back the number of events this year is because we thought that it might be nice to open up a little more time to make it available to members that might come up with any spur of the moment get togethers.
      If any NWCBC members would like to discuss this issue or any other club related stuff please feel free to call me at 206 790 1790 I would be happy to speak with you.
      Greg James

Comment

Well that answers that; I guess that makes sense. I've always wanted to be in the parade, and now that I have a boat... And living in Ballard it's right down the road, or canal, so to speak. So I registered last night. Hopefully the family won't melt down. Anyway I'll be there flying out little burgee, anybody that want's to join me can.

Comment

Sean, You will have a great time. I have always really enjoyed being in the parade but this year I might be a spectator since I've never really seen the whole parade or the shell races. Have fun.
          Greg James

Comment

So I'm registered for the parade; (I've got a lot of shine work to do now)... Evidently we can also register as a club if anyone want's to join me. But registration deadline is Apr 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Seanfromseattle, post: 21862
              So I'm registered for the parade; (I've got a lot of shine work to do now)... Evidently we can also register as a club if anyone want's to join me. But registration deadline is Apr 26.
              Sean, what class did you register for? We have previously registered for the "Spirit decorated" class, there is a "novelty decorated" class which we tried a few times but when the Amphibious cars show up the judges seem to favor them over anyone else...

If you are registered as a club (or can change to be a club) my crew would love to come along!! I organized the group last year (might explain why no one wanted to do it again) and I have been participating in the parade since I could walk!! One big struggle with this event is trying to get people excited about the aspect of a "themed" event... In order to compete you need to have a unified costume plan for all boats and passangers involved (this was the hardest fight in our club).

We were planning to take our boat through with the ACBS group but I am not going to be able to have the restoration up to "show standards" by then so I was about to tell my crew we weren't going... As for your "shine work" its up to how hard you want to work prepping for the parade, they don't judge condition of the boat (other then floating and safety) they are judging your interpretation of the theme and how well your group brings the theme to life.

Marks us down as one boat and if we need a minimum number of vessels to make "group" status I can put a crew in my second boat as well..
              Attached Files
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I registered as an individual boat in "Classic Power under 40'" which is 8th to go through. I will probably have two 3yr olds onboard. I figure that gives me the most options. To register as a fleet we have to have 4 boats. Would it be easiest to register as individual boats, but drive through together? I don't know anything about being in the parade as it's my first year...

Comment

Originally posted by Seanfromseattle, post: 21907
                  I registered as an individual boat in "Classic Power under 40'" which is 8th to go through. I will probably have two 3yr olds onboard. I figure that gives me the most options. To register as a fleet we have to have 4 boats. Would it be easiest to register as individual boats, but drive through together? I don't know anything about being in the parade as it's my first year...
                  Being individual boats is probably the easiest however you will most likely not go through "together" as you go through in the order in which you registered (I.E. your class number will be something like H4 and the next boat is H5 etc...) and the "parade director" will be directing traffic over the radio and they are super strict about staying in formation, keeping consistent spacing so the parade runs smoothly and following the class numbering order...

I can get two boats with crews but thats it, may be there are a few people in the club who actually enjoyed the event enough to do it again?

You might look at previous years photos on the Seattle Yacht Club website to get an idea of what kind of boats you'll be "competing" against, at least get an idea of what to expect for costumes / decorations...

Overall I think you and your youngsters will really enjoy it, the decorations and enthusiasm of most of the participants is quite impressive..
                  Brian Flaherty

Comment

I had more fun with the ACBS on Friday at the Margarita party, when we gave free rides to all the ferinners from Canada.
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 21915
                      I had more fun with the ACBS on Friday at the Margarita party, when we gave free rides to all the ferinners from Canada.
                      I have always dreamed of getting back in with ACBS, with my own boat, unfortunately I have a "user-preserved" boat that isn't up to their "show standards" so I either have to ride with my parents or enter on my own... That group has been doing this parade long enough that everyone is really into the themes, costumes and decorations... Though you're right in that the boat rides and party Friday evening are generally more exciting then the hours in the rain and traffic on parade day...
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Not to mention the two young ladies at the end of the parade last year who must have thought that they were in New Orleans!
                        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                        14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 21917
                          Not to mention the two young ladies at the end of the parade last year who must have thought that they were in New Orleans!
                          Yeah, interesting how the parade formation kinda dissolved at that point, huh?

Like they said when I was in the service ... EYES RIGHT!

Comment

Bryan,

I am surprised the ACBS folks turned you away, My boat is a 2001 fiberglass hull with wood decking and they were always very nice to me.

I did however find that the show judging was not compatible with my "new" boat in any sense, except in Portland where we got a trophy for best contempporary boat.

The national group remains very hidebound and inflexible, but the local fellows are for the most part, a great group.

Now that I am selling my "not quite a classic", and certaily not "antique", boat. I will focus my attention with NWCBC, where there are no judges, just boaters. :Skipper1:
                            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Right on Jack. It's nice being able to go boating without having to worry about having some holyer than thou telling you that you really ought to touch up your dock dings or ask why do you use a modern engine on a classic boat or are you sure your boat is actually a classic after all it is a "glass" boat. Nobody in this club really gives a rip about this sort of thing. We just want to go boating.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X