'59 Dorsett San Juan, need parts/info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Dorsett San Juan, need parts/info

I'm looking for a "San Juan" logo from the stern end of the metal molding along both sides of the boat. They look interchangeable from left to right, gold in color. Anyone got one??? Also, I'm looking for info about what went in a hole behind the bow grab handle and the hatch. There's a 1/2 inch threaded stud almost flush with the top surface so it was something fairly solid. Looking for that part and a vintage Airguide speedo head. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Allan
    Attached Files

I love those Raymond Loewy lines! Always found this style most interesting...although it's clearly late 50's with the wrap around windows there's a sort of postwar streamline flavor to them as well (streamline AKA Moderne' is a high tech and more organic extension of Art Deco which itself is a geometric version of Victorian).

Yes I admit it, I'm an industrial designer groupie LOL

Comment

Hey Mr. 404, you're gonna love this if you're a Loewy fan. This one has a little sticker on the cowl that says "Designed by Raymond Loewy" WITH HIS SIGNITURE!! That's why I paid too much for it. Kinda like I was buying that sticker with a boat attached to it. I'll bet you completely understand! Allan

Comment

Airguide speedo head ? Is this what you are looking for ?
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Originally posted by allan56, post: 2542
          Hey Mr. 404, you're gonna love this if you're a Loewy fan. This one has a little sticker on the cowl that says "Designed by Raymond Loewy" WITH HIS SIGNITURE!! That's why I paid too much for it. Kinda like I was buying that sticker with a boat attached to it. I'll bet you completely understand! Allan
          Hey Allan, yep I know about those stickers...most are lost to time though. He designed Studebakers too and have been to many Studebaker events where there was always a Stude pulling one of these Dorsetts.

I had a Dorsett Farallon once, will post some pix in my profile folders when I get a chance. Anthony

Comment

Hey Anthony, I'd like to see those Farallon pictures. I've got a bit of a jones for one of those! I also need a '53 Hawk (though I read that wasn't Loewy, it was his studio) to pull it, with a Coke bottle in my hand to complete the Loewy experience! Allan

Comment

Am afraid that any of the "Loewy coupes" are too light and have too short a wheelbase to safely tow a boat. As you pointed out, he didn't do the actual design work, that was mostly the labor of Robert Bourke and his crew (who all worked for Loewy).

Have posted pix of the Farallon here: http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...php?albumid=77 It needed more work than I could handle as the floor stringers were completely shot, and I do mean completely. The cabin bulkhead was also beyond repair. This was the 21 footer if memory serves.

Comment

Farallon

That is a sad sight but the consolation is that it didn't have the great stern lines of the older design anyhow... And the consolation of the coupes being too little to tow a Farallon is that I don't have (and can't afford) either! Maybe I could photo shop my San Juan to be a little longer and add that Hawk? That'll work.

Comment

Allen56,
                  This is Ken in California (you know, with your boat's sister). The hole in the bow is for a cleat that has a hole in it so a rope can be puller out. The rope take-up area is that triangle of wood in the front of your cabin. I bought a close line reel from Home Depot and replaced the plastic line with rope. I have not mounted it yet, but will let you know how it works. I will take a picture of the cleat and email it to you tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by KSKI, post: 2649
                    Allen56,
                    This is Ken in California (you know, with your boat's sister). The hole in the bow is for a cleat that has a hole in it so a rope can be puller out. The rope take-up area is that triangle of wood in the front of your cabin. I bought a close line reel from Home Depot and replaced the plastic line with rope. I have not mounted it yet, but will let you know how it works. I will take a picture of the cleat and email it to you tomorrow.
                    Hey Ken! Is that picture in your "avatar" current? Have you had the boat in the water?
                    As to the hole in my boat's bow, I don't get it. There is a big stud sticking up almost flush with the top surface of the fiberglass. How does the rope pay up through there? I'd love to see a picture. Did the Catalina have that part?
                    Have you painted the hull yet? I was talking with a friend about your fiberglass refinishing and trying to remember the product name you used on the yellow top surfaces. You refer to it as gel-coat but I seem to remember some specific brand name. What was that?
                    Thanks, Allan

Comment

I have the exact San Juan script you are looking for. $25.00. PM me if you are interested.

Todd

Comment

Working...
                      X