Dorsett Catalina windows leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsett Catalina windows leak

Any one able to offer advice on how to remove and reseal the cabin windows on my Catalina? Just in case I break a window, are there any sources for replacments?

I would also like to hear from anyone having parts for this boat: Transom handles, wind shield, maybe the sterring set up. Also the Dorsett emblems found on the side of the cabin.

Easy window replacement.

I have a Endura Craft with a curved plexiglass cabin window it needed a new gasket, I was worried about breaking the window if I replaced it myself. The cost to have a new window cut was around $400. I took the boat to an auto windshield place and paid them about $200 dollars to do the job for me Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Originally posted by 2manyboats, post: 2758
      Any one able to offer advice on how to remove and reseal the cabin windows on my Catalina? Just in case I break a window, are there any sources for replacments?

I would also like to hear from anyone having parts for this boat: Transom handles, wind shield, maybe the sterring set up. Also the Dorsett emblems found on the side of the cabin.
      Your biggest worry will be all the frozen screws that hold the inside frame to the outside frame, most will break. You will be drilling and tapping. The plexy won't break that easy UNLESS there is a flaw or crack already started. Once you get the frames out you might as well put in new plexy anyway unless yours are perfect.
      I have all the Catalina parts you are looking for and more BUT not ready to unload till end of summer, don't know if you can wait that long..............

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Frozen screws

Well I should have suspected that the screws would be corroded in place. That will be a joy!

So who makes new windows for Catalinas? Does someone already have the bending form made up? They built these boats in two different factories, are there differences in the windows depending on where the boat was built?

So Straycat, the parts I need can be added to the project most any time with out holding the rest of it up. But I will keep looking.

Anyone ever use smoked plexi glass for window replacements, or would that be a sacrelidge? And what is used for the gasket?

Comment

Screws

Here are some tips I`ve used over the years.
          Some screws can be treated and removed with vise grips if enough head is there,usually pan head screws can be gripped ok.
          If really bad then the drill or chisel is the next step.A smaller pilot bit may help if the driver pattern makes the drill jump out of place.I like to use a bigger bit the size of the head and just drill until the head looks like it is moving or weakened.After drilling ,just chisel from the side in a quick motion,horizontal will keep any scars from looking too obvious.
          A die grinder or roto file can also remove screw heads so the inside trim can be removed.
          A dab of grease on each fastener will keep them usable when re-installing......many moons away.
          Tim M
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
          X