Crash Course in Acrylic........!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash Course in Acrylic........!!

Being a procrasinator, I've put off the replacement acylic curved windows in the front of the Saratogan cabin. Last couple days decided it was time to deal with it. SOme year or two back, bought a 4X8 sheet of Acrycast 2111 green acrylic sheet. Couple months back, cut all the flat glass for the cabin. That left the typical curved cabin glass. The old curved plexiglas is in surprisingly good shape, but really want all the new glass to match. So got on the phone yesterday and today and talked to Middy Plastics, Calsak Plastics and Clear Cut Plastics in Fremont.

All I heard from Middy was groans. "You bought that Mexican Acrycast"! "Oh geeze!" I did gleen a few tips out of Larry at Middy, however. Then I talked to Calsak the distributor for Acrycast. 280 to 320 degrees F. Okay, another bit of info. DOn't have any 2111. None until late July.

Finally called Clear Cut Plastics at Marty's suggestion and talked at length with Ann. AS it turned out, they had the 3030 color for the bridge center glass and also 3/4 sheet of 2111 in the event I ruin one or both of the curved sections during bending.

Marty gave me some good suggestions today as well as an offer to ship his acrylic oven over on the SAn Juan Express. Thanks Marty!

I did experiment with bending some smaller samples of 1/4" acrylic today (with one head gun). First small piece a bit too hot...started to bubble. Second piece about 12" X 5 " got a fairly tight bend radius (1.5") with one heat gun. What I learned is that the main part of the bend forms a belly in the middle and high on the edges. This is what happens without a 3D pattern to lay the hot acrylic on. Middy said to keep the cut piece larger than necessary, so as to cut off the high ridge sides.

Made a pattern of the bend today from the old glass. What I realized is that the bend radius in only in about 14 inches of the 45 inch long part. So my plan tomorrow is to preheat the glass in the bend section with my torpedo heater and then kit it with two heat guns. I think I can do this. WIth a little over a week to launch, I'm getting bold.

ALso cut and fit some of the rubber weather strip for the bridge glass today. Fits well and think installing the curved Chrysler glass may not be that bad. WOuld like to locate a glass handling suction cup however. Will try to round one up tomorrow.

Thanks again Marty for all the positive input. I'll let you know how the free form bend goes.

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride
Working...
X