Balsa core floor,Trailorboat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balsa core floor,Trailorboat

Been burning the midnight candle......got my wife to do some more sewing and it came out pretty flashy.
    The first sections of Baltek in 3/4`` thickness layed out really easily and I went ahead and did the entire floor structure with it.
    Cut with a utility knife and beveled slightly ,it made the job easy and looke like it belonged.I mixed up Resin and Adhesive /Gap filler for bedding it down,then wetted it out from above.Then a final coat as the cloth topping was layed down and it should last many years.
    Best part was not doing stringers and a then a floor ,plus the lightweight results should make it easily powered up.
    Down to the cable steering pulleys......or maybe a new rotary system will go on.
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Tim

Good idea on the floor. Mighty fine looking seats you have there. B

Comment

Easy floor stuff

Barry ,
      The Balsa by Baltek came in 2`x4` pcs with 1``x2``x3/4`` balsa cubes glue to a mat on one side that was left upwards so the cubes layed out on the outer shell nicely.After wetting out both surfaces,the cubes were simply pressed down tight while the resin kicked.I used a plastic spreader to swipe the entire surface and make sure all pcs had good contact.
      It looked like a parquet floor when dried and I made an epoxy seam at the rear to meet the transom so all will flex without cracking.
      More pics as it went together.......cost was more than plywood but the ease of install with no real cutting made it worth the almost $200.00 it cost.
      Trying to make up some fold-down seatbacks so we can have a place to lounge out.
      TimM
      Attached Files
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X