Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing "red"...

Hi All:

I have been churning this idea over in my big head for a while and thought I would do well to take a poll: I am think about painting the top side of my BellBoy red - bright red. I like John Kelly's scheme with his BellBoy 404, one year older than mine (pic of his and mine shown below). The gel coat on the topside is in need of refinishing. It owes me nothing, being 49 years old and counting. It held up magnificently all those years. There are so many nick repairs and equipment removal "scars" and general fading that no amount of sanding and buffing seems to restore that I feel its time. Gel coat matching has been a joke, mainly because I have so many "shades" in the the original gelcoat that no matter what I do, I see the work after. So. Should I go off white top and bottom like the original or off white for the hull and Pettit easypoxy red for the top? The red would include the splashwell which would look great, I think.

Unless someone thinks I am doing this sequence wrong - and please tell me if you think so! - I plan to proceed like this:

1). Buy a lifting ring and screw ontot he flywheel of my Merc 1350, rent a cherry picker and lift the engine off the transom and lay in the garage.

2). Remove all the hardware and fittings from the topside.

3). Apply wax remover and clean the entire top.

4). Repair all fiberglass flaws with fiberglass bondo

5). Sand entire area with 220 grit on my little mouse finishing sander.

6). Brush on Pettit easypoxy primer.

7). Let dry and sand with 220 again.

8). Fill any imperfections that remain with more bondo, sand and reapply primer over the re-bondo'ed areas.

9). Sand and check everything for smooth and seamless surface.

10) Roll and tip 2-3 coats of Pettit Easypoxy red, sanding lightly with 400 grit inbetween.

11). Re-attach all equipment and hardware.

Have I missed anything?

What do YOU all think?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Files

Bob
    I love the red color scheme idea. The only issue I have here is that you are far too organized! Planning ahead?? What's that all about? B

Comment

Bob, I definitely like the red!!

Comment

Red still wet in the cup.....Big Red almost there.

Why ,I beat you to it,just peeled the tape from the non-skid areas.One wet-sand session tomorrow and hopefully a final coat but am prepared to do coat 3+4 if needed.
        We may call this 18`Pac Mariner "Big Red" as the sides are huge.
        I didn`t have the dash prepped well enough for the 2 part poly paint so I taped it off and plan on doing that section later (in White)as well as the gauge area.I did paint a pair of red bands along the bottom dash edge but am thinking the splashwell may get white instead of red.....but we`ll see.
        The bow deck is getting a white triangle section on both sides of center with the Interdeck non-skid blended into coat #2.Almost went with "Rally Stripes" but function prevailed as usual.
        My camera is holding my pics hostage,let me bribe the wife to get them out,though she deserves a break....She woke up early today and cleaned my work area up and even hosed it down so I could stroll out and start mixing.
        Now we have a boat in yellow,green,blu,black+white,and now Red.Time to update the photo album but the motor quest is still on......
        Had to use this nice weather ,heck,I may as well do the centerdeck G-3 next week.
        Oh yeah,with nice shiny red topsides,the sides are now in dire need of fresh White.
        TM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Bob,
          I might suggest checking at Harbor Freight for a cherry picker, I was going to rent one to lift my Homelite but instead bought one at HF for $130.00. I would have spent more than that on rent if I had rented one for the amount of time I used this one while painting the motor. Of course, if I had been renting one I wouldn't have used it so much ... But it really came in handy as a way to spray all around the block. It folds up and stands in the corner pretty neatly.

Tim

Comment

I found an outboard lifting ring on E-bay that screws onto the center of the flywheel. I also bought a 20' come along at Home depot rated for one ton. The 1350 is 330 lbs. I will lift the engine off and lay it on a dolly do I can maneuver it to a safe place in the garage while I do this painting gig...

Comment

Working...
            X