Painting has begun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting has begun

Here are some pics of today's endeavors. The helm box is completely filled. I cut out plywood disks and glassed them in from behind. The switch cut-outs and speedo/tach/depth-finder holes were covered inside with a one-piece rectangular 1/4" ply sheet - also glassed in. Then bondo was applied to flush out the outside surface. After that was applied and sanded smooth, the helm box and the hatch were primed with Easypoxy white primer and are ready for final sanding and red paint. Before painting the helm box, I will re-cut for the new instrumentation and switch configuration
    I have the transom de-waxed, sanded, filled and primed as well as the splashwell, although the well will be red and the transom off-white. While waiting for this and that to dry, I painted the spotlight red. WOW!! it is REEEEEDDDDDD....
    More later

Bob
    Attached Files

Thanks for the update Bob...

it's especially interesting to me because I'm a step or two behind you on one of my projects...

Did you ever track down or verify that theory about ammonia instead of de-waxer?

Thanks...Ric
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Hey Ric:
      Never did get any info on the de-waxer using ammonia. I got a quart from West Marine for $18 (whatever...) and used that. It does work. You can see a dulling of the gelcoat after using the de-waxer. The primer bonded very well after de-waxing and sanding with 220 grit. I hope the color coats go on well. I will wait 48 hrs between coats, wet sanding between coats with 400 grit. With all the red I am sure it will make a mess. We'll see...

Bob

Comment

Working...
      X