Mercruiser 160 Fuel line bypass???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 160 Fuel line bypass???

There is a bypass line around the fuel filter/pump on my 160 Mercruiser. It appears to have a check valve in the end before the filter. This is a new one on me. Anyone have any idea why it would be this way? My manual does not show or mention anything about it. B
    Attached Files

Barry, who knows why people hack into fuel systems on boats? That is not how that fuel system should be configured.
    You need to run type A-1 fuel line from your tank to your fuel pump. Preferably from the tank to a water separator filter, and then to your fuel pump.
    From the fuel pump to the carburater, has to be a "pressure rated type A-1", or steel tubing. This length of fuel line cannot have any other fittings in it. No in-line filters etc.
    If the boat is equipped with a marine fuel pump, and carb.( as it should be) there will also be a plastic "sight tube" running back from the carb. to the fuel pump.
    Hope this helps, Jack Leslie
    Jack Leslie
    1948 Sande launch
    1962 Stiletto

Comment

Jack

Thanks. That was my thought also on the strange line configuration. This is a 1967 Mercruiser and the Seloc manual doesn't show a sight tube on this either. I have a front mounted fuel tank with a shutoff valve and a copper line to within a foot of the fuel pump. I suspect the small fuel filter before the pump stops some water but I think I will get a larger water separator type filter and mount it so it attaches to the end of the copper line. I will install new line from there to the pump and from the pump to the carb. My carb rebuild kit came in today and was the wrong one so I need to find the correct one next week. B

Comment

Working...
      X