Top secret boat restoration revealed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top secret boat restoration revealed

The Bell Boy we have been storing for the last five years is finally getting restored.

This is Kathie's boat and she wants it set up for salmon fishing and crabbing. So it won't be as pretty as Chuck's Farralon, but it will be a functional working cruiser, that we can go gunkholing in when we retire. Please Lord let it be soon!

When I bought my Gentlemans Racer she said we could have gotten a cruiser with a galley, a head and bunks for the price I paid. I took that to mean that she wanted a cruiser with all the above. So I bought her one.

It has been at a secret location near Quilcene for the last few months and has gone from a smelly rotting hulk to a partially complete restoration thanks to some old Norwegian named Helmar.

The cockpit, splashwell, and transom were gutted and have been replaced, the bilge has been foamed, and we are ready to add the seating, fuel tanks, helm, and a few other items like the electrical system.

We'll keep you posted as the project progresses
    Attached Files
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Jack & Kathie, It sure has been a long time. She is taking on a new look ! Really like the way that stern came together and that nice floor. When will this Norwegian yahoo Guy named Helmar have her done for you. Maybe opening day ? What kind of power will you be running and any other idea's ,like seating style , gas tanks ( saddle ? ) , electronic equipment you have in mind for her? Keep the progress and pictures coming. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

delete please!

Comment

Skagit Rebuild

Jack and Kathy, I agree looking really good! I especially like the covered splashwell. What are you going to use for power? Looks like Helmer has been keepin out of trouble while reworking your boat! Looking forward to your progress. - Ross
        Ross Henson

Comment

Nice one Jack & Kathy. I just went to your Album and looked at the other pictures you posted. Twin Merc's, cool. I really like the looks of the wrap around windshield. What year and length is the BB?
          Steve Kiesel
          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

The restoration Progresses

To hopefully answer all the questions above, it is a 1957 Bell Boy 18' express cruiser, that we bought from the original owner Bob Wiest in 2004/2005. The boat came with a "new" in the box set of canvas which we will augment with some clear panels to make her weather tight. The canvas alone was worth the purchase price.

We have replaced the twin 1962 Merc 50's, (which are now available) with twin Pugs and a newer Yamaha 4 stroke. Bob and his wife had made many trips up the inside passage with her, and we want to do the same so a new power plant was a must. With that whisper quiet Yamaha in the enclosed motor well it should be a nice quiet ride.

We will put two 20 gallon fuel tanks under the seats with dual batteries under the foot rests. We are trying to move as much weight forward as possible. The seats will be on real short pedestals atop the tanks and that Helmar guy is fabricating helms similar to what Mad Dog has on his Skagit. She will be real heavy with all the fuel and water tanks topped off but we will only run that way when we are abandoning civilization for the Inside passage etc. The rest of the time we will just carry enough for a shorter trip. We don't expect to go fast, we have Rhapsody for that, this will be a slow boat to China or somewhere nearer.

We are really looking forward to exploring the sound again. We made a lot of trips around the with our sailboat in the past and loved every minute of it, but we are older and wiser now, and the feel of salt spray and a freshening breeze has lost it's charm. Ask me sometime about sailing through Cattle Pass against a full flood tide. See OLDER...... WISER.....

As to when it will be done, Hopefully it will be done enough to launch by April 9th for the Lake Sammamish tune up at our house, but as Michelangelo told the Pope, true artistry cannot be rushed. There will be some kind of smoked pork fat provided regardless.

The actual completion will still be a year or two away. We have plans for many additions like a solar panel for the charging system, crab pot pullers, down riggers, a boss stereo system, radar, sonar, UHF/VHF, a kicker, and assorted other goodies that will make us feel a lot safer when we're out in a fog bank on the Salish Sea, and provide comfort for the longer trips we plan once we retire. However the budget will not allow those items at this time. (edit by moderator) For now the Cockpit area will be completed and interior and exterior paint applied. The galley and bunk area under the forward deck will be known as Phase 2, and will be used as Pug Haven, we will just "camp out" in the cabin for now and make believe it is done. It is way bigger than the cuddy cabin on our former sailboat so we will manage.

She will serve as our winter boat on the lake and be available for cruising the sound at all times.

Last weekend around three o'clock on Saturday as we finished up our yard work, we looked out at the perfectly flat water in front of the house and agreed that the enclosed cockpit on Lil' Red will be a great asset for those nice and even not so nice winter days when the fish are jumpin' and the livin' is easy.

Comment

Serenity now !

Tim: This one is for you ,
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Hi Jack:

I will be watching for more pics as you proceed with the restoration. I was amazed when, in my Bellboy powered by an inline six Merc (noisy!) I stowed a two-seater tube in the splashwell effectively creating a barrier between the engine and cockpit. The sound reduction was incredible. With your splashwell setup covering that already-quiet Yamaha, you'll feel you are on a sailboat!
                Best of luck with the restoration!

Bob

Comment

Gee Bob the Merc 35 I had as a kid on an 11 foot wood boat wasn't noisy. Well maybe it was but we were going so fast and screaming so much I guess we couldn't hear it.

Comment

Working...
                  X