Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Jun 21, 2014] San Juan Islands (Anacortes, WA)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Jun 21, 2014] San Juan Islands (Anacortes, WA)

We will visit the Eastern Islands which include Hat, Saddle Bag, Vendovi, Jack, Clark Island and maybe Lummi. If the weather is calm maybe Sucia and Matia Islands too. We are allowed to stop and go ashore on five of the islands.
    This event could be turned into two days out, if enough people want to spend the night out. Clark Island has a wonderful beach for running the boat up on or you can anchor close to shore with a bunge arrangement on the anchor line.

There are nice campspots and a large sandy beach for enjoying the sunset, fires are allowed

You should have enough fuel for 6 hours going at 18 to 22 knots, important to have sleeping gear, food, water. Also have on board an anchor with 100 feet of line and a line for a stern tie to shore (50-75 feet).

Please let me know if you are attending and if you are interested in an overnight or just going out for six hours.

The launch at Cape Santa is a sling arrangement so you do not have to get saltwater on your steel framed trailer. Once you get to the launch area it takes about 1/2 hour for them to get you in the water.
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

This is the proper location to post information for this event. Lowell
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell, post: 28373, member: 95
      This is the proper location to post information for this event. Lowell

Can not make it. Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Lowell, I will be there and I can stay over night. As you well know my last attempt to cruze the San Juan's ended early with a busted lower unit and a long tow by you so this time hopefully things will be different. If I do have problems I now have a good 1991 8hp Honda get me home engine that Tim Matson made new for me. It's a little heavy and difficult to put on the transom but I have figured out a way to do that without to much difficulty. Really looking forward to this event. call me when you have time.
        Greg James

Comment

Greg,
          If it is just a very small group we can go to some nice pocket beaches, and do interesting gunk holeing. I'll call soon.
          Lowell
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, I'm sorry to have to bail on this one as I really was looking forward to it! With the house purchase though, the timing is bad as we are closing that week and moving all weekend.

Comment

Looks like this event is on. I obviously won't be launching in Anacortes but could meet you there.
              Anacortes usually has the lowest price fuel around. so I'll plan to put some diesel aboard there.

I probably won't be running at 18-20 knots due to the fuel consumed but will meet up where ever your stops are. Anchoring around Barnes and Clark Islands can be a little tricky due to the currents there. I'm planning on showing up.
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim, It's great your going to make this one. As for the 18-20 knot thing I don't think Lowell expects us to maintain that the majority of the time. I'm with you I like a slower pace to save gas and to enjoy the scenery, besides what's the rush. Looking forward to seeing you.
                Greg James

Comment

Tim,
                  We can go as fast as the group wants to go, if fact sometimes I just shutdown the motor and enjoy the bird and animal life on the rocks. The anchorage on the East side of Clark has very little current and most of the time there are park buoys.

If there is a predicted NE wind we will go somewhere else as the fetch is long in this direction and can get a little rolly. Also has protection from South, Southwest to West winds. The East side has a nice steep pebble beach with good holding ground for an anchor. This is the best style of beach for a close inshore anchoring using the bungie style anchoring system.

If you are anchoring out in a larger draft boat I suppose you will not be too close to shore. Will you be bring a dinghy to get to shore?
                  Lowell
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

I'm thinking of coming over Friday for a photo shoot in LaConner. If you don't see me in the harbor, look over to the fuel dock. I may be there. I'll bring a dinghy. Can you post the days tides here on this site?

Comment

Tides should be in the tide tables located everywhere, I don't have the time to post that information right now, sorry, I'm at work. It's not real extreme tide changes that weekend. In fact you can get them on line. I will be looking for you around 10 am on saturday at the fuel dock.

The weather looks real good for this weekend, mostly sunny with variable winds below 7 knots out of the southeast. Can’t get any better than that.

Lowell
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Okay, Lowell. Looks like the three boats. Here's the tide table... See you there. Got a VHF channel you prefer? I'll be on 09 unless I hear differently....

Tim
                        [ATTACH]16155[/ATTACH]

This from State Parks on Clark island.
                        "Boaters anchoring offshore or using the park moorage buoys should be aware of the strong currents on the west side of the island. The east side moorage area is subject to large waves created by passing commercial shipping in Rosario Strait."
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a picture of the Skua aground on the west side of Clark Island. That's my salvage boat the Eager Beaver on the left. From 1985 as I remember. Skua drug anchor in the middle of the night and wound up on the rocks on the ebb. Saved the Skua. I've salvaged several boats in and around Barnes and Clark Island over the years.[ATTACH]16174[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is why i like docks.
                            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Me too. Lost anchorage one night and woke up about 200 yards from the I -90 bridge at 3 a.m.. Still caught two Sockeye later that mourning.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X