No announcement yet.

"Sucia Island Overnight", May 31st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys but I am going to have to bail on our plans this week end. Anacortes is having a festival that includes a combination car, trailer boat, and on water boat show and god knows what else. I don't want to go up there and get mixed up in any potential problems with traffic or getting launched. With everything concidered it seems like our plans for this week end are not meant to be.
    Greg James

Comment

What a deal !

Greg, It looks like it was just the three of us anyway. I agree that everytime we tried to make this work even with bridge problems and festival's at Anacortes and even Edmonds where the sling is closed today ( Wed ) thru next Monday there seemed to be one roadblock after another. Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Float Plan

There is cell coverage in the Islands, I would not worry about this. We are not entering the wilderness alone looking for the NW Passage. There will be three boats and all three have VHF radios.

If you want to pick an Island I like them all, favorite is Patos however there is no dock. I suggest you pick Sucia and if we overnight at a different Island we can call and notify the plan holders.
        1956 Enduracraft Monterey
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, The float plan thing has nothing to do with my cancelling my plans to go to the San Juans this week end. Several other things have come up that have made it very uncomfortable to go.
          Greg James

Comment

Please keep us posted on plans. We expect to be at Sucia early afternoon if weather is reasonably good. If not, try again Saturday if we know where to look for you.
            Jerry and Becky
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

A party of one now.

Jerry--- I think I'm the only one going. Chuck called me and said he wasn't interested, so that leaves myself. I plan on still going, I will leave on Sunday and spend the night at Patos Island anchored with a shore tie at Toe Point. I should be anchored by 4 pm. This island has wonderful hiking on the Northern beaches and one of the best light houses with views up into Canada.

If you go on Sunday--Monday you miss the weekend crowds and have the whole Island to yourself.
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, I have been looking forward to this event for quite so time. As i explained to you last night on the phone when you called, it was not that i was not interested but, all of the hassle of the bridge traffic problems and the waterfront festival in Anacortes boat show in the water and on boat trailers and a car show on top of that and a crafts fair we just found out about thursday afternoon. I would have gone out Saturday and come back Sunday like we did last year being i have to be at work Monday anyway. Chuck

Comment

Meeting at Sucia on Sunday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim and Jerry I didn't know you guys are still interested, I can meet you guys at Sucia (Fossil Bay where the dock is) about 12 to 130 pm. on Sunday. In the evening after visiting with you guys I'll move north to Patos Island.

I'll hang out at Sucia until 130 pm and if you don't show up I'll move north to Patos Island.

My Cell number is (four two five) three two seven-- 2201.

Lowell
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Tentative Sunday plan

Having talked to Chuck, Greg, Tim and my wife, here's my latest thinking.
                    We expect to launch at Lummi Island after church and lunch. Probably be at Sucia at least by 1:30. Will run on over to Patos and probably beach Rosario and use the bungee cord system to anchor off. Head home after a picnic on the beach.
                    Chuck, if you don't want to tow a boat up, we could pick you and Sheila or your son up at the Indian dock at Gooseberry Pt. (just west of the ferry dock) and you could remember why it was that you miss Rosario. Pick you up around 12:30. Will carry cell and hope to remember to turn it on from 11 a.m. thru remainder of day. It's 360-594-7381. Home is 360-758-7129.

Comment

Jerry, That's very kind of you! I think i will stay home and work on the Dorsett. Sheila will not go to the San Juan's unless it's a ferry as in past years 1978 / 1998 we have been in a few "perfect storms" ( Rosario Strait's ) and besides she only goes out 1 time a year as it is and then something always goes wrong. Two of my son's are out of town as it is and the third one can't go anyway. Thanks again, Chuck

Comment

We'll miss you

Well, if you'd rather work than play... :>)

Comment

Darn, not ready yet.

I am sorry to hear that things can't work out.

For me, both boats are in the yard getting there engines fitted. That includes putting in the new tanks (already down the blue boat and about two thirds done on the red boat.)

Putting the tanks in the blue boat by fitting aluminum tanks inside the former Skagit fiberglass ones was a bit more involved than I originally thought. However, now that is done it looks like 1 million bucks.

Have not seen the 60 Bigfoot yet, but as of this post they are working on that starting Monday. I will be up for the next event, which is Chuck's little project in the central sound. Can hardly wait.

In the meantime, I am thinking about going Anacortes and looking at the boat show there. It would be interesting to see what people think are worth exhibiting in the trailer boat category.

Then the problem will be fitting the radios and other gear. While the blue boat is pretty well engineered at this point, the red boat poses a few more technical problems. I have a good idea about putting the suite under the driver side passenger seat. That presents a few little problems with respect to cooling. I thought about putting in a small bilge blower to circulate the air when it gets hot. I will also have a 19 gallon fuel tank in that boat and a 1500 gallon per hour bilge pump. There will be two batteries with the battery isolator. One battery is a cranking battery any other is a deep cycle battery. Those two batteries are situated as a counterweight to the 19 gallon fuel tank on the red boat.

I will be returning the yellow trailer to Dick Dow and fitting a new easy loader there. Project has turned out a little bigger than I expected.
                          Attached Files
                          Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
                          16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
                          17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Patos bound with layover at Sucia

Greg will be joining me for the two days.We will stop off at Sucia Sunday afternoon and wait for Jerry and Tim. We plan on arriving at Fossil Bay (Sucia) around 12 pm. If no classic boats show up on the horizon by 130 pm then we'll move onto the Northwest to the furthest island in the San Juans, Patos.

Trip is this Sunday and Monday.

Anyone else going to join us?

Lowell
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

No, not Patos, but San Juan

Okay my title is just silliness from lack of sleep but from where I start out, Patos is one of the closer islands.
                              Decided to skip church this morning as the tide is already too low for me to launch here. Should be able to put in around 11 a.m. It is cloudy but no rain and calm and 55 degrees on Lummi Island right now.
                              If all goes as planned, we'll be at Fossil Bay before 1 p.m. Otherwise, God willing and the boat stays afloat and the outboard runs, we'll see Lowell, Greg and Tim at Patos.

Comment

Jerry, Thanks for the weather report. Hope to see you and Becky later on.
                                Greg James

Comment

Working...
                                X