Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you are hoping the value of your boat will go up...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you are hoping the value of your boat will go up...

How about a $32,500 dollar Skagit Ski Master to help your cause?

Yowza!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4806567138.html

What are these owners smoking???? There was a Seafair Sedan for sale last year in California for somewhere around $55,000. They must know something I don't. Just doesn't make sense to me. But a lot of things these days don't make sense to me. I was definitely born about fifty years too late.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Kelly and Steve-
      Yes, wow, some of these prices are over the top. Apparently they have a philosophy of being a "car trader"= over inflate the price to get their real price. It's a long term time waster for both parties. But then the buyer who thinks they can "talk down" somebody with such an unrealistic price has to be smoking, too.
      Over-restoration might indicate some folks have a fantasy mindset and that gets to the point of the prices. Or is it the P.T. Barnam philosophy ?
      What's odd is the boats we're talking about here are in Montana and California. Not Colorado, Oregon or Washington......

bruceb

Comment

This is actually a pretty rare boat. Marty had one for a season and everybody loved it! Very similar to our Chris Craft... However, this owner has done a lot of "customizing" which they feel makes it more valuable... My guess is that it would actually be worth more if they stripped all that custom crap off and restored back to original (again it's a rare model and Skagit people like originality). I for one am dissappointed that in all their customizing they didn't fix the major design flaw that is the poorly engineered rudder!! Out boat and Marty's both had the same deep, skinny, rudder that makes the boat lean hard in corners but doesn't actually turn the boat... It also amplifies the prop lift which leads to bow-down-wallowing at high speeds... Marty and I both modified our rudders to match the traditional Chris-Craft style that is shallow and wide (fore and aft) which solved all the aformentioned problems.

I think this is a true case of over restoration/customization by a "car guy" who thinks anything restored must be worth more than any of the new crap...
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb View Post
          Kelly and Steve-
          Yes, wow, some of these prices are over the top. Apparently they have a philosophy of being a "car trader"= over inflate the price to get their real price. It's a long term time waster for both parties. But then the buyer who thinks they can "talk down" somebody with such an unrealistic price has to be smoking, too.
          Over-restoration might indicate some folks have a fantasy mindset and that gets to the point of the prices. Or is it the P.T. Barnam philosophy ?
          What's odd is the boats we're talking about here are in Montana and California. Not Colorado, Oregon or Washington......

bruceb
          I remember seeing that too. He had it all painted up and did a really great job I thought. I was not too keen on the colors myself.
          These are such great old motors and if your a shade tree mechanic can keep them running.
          My friend in Gresham (Super Sportster) knows every inch of those engines too.
          I had been after him for Years about how cool I thought they were and one day he found one at a swap meet and now hooked on them.
          Another person that can make them run good is John Nelson.
          They are just not a hot rod engine is all but I can Almost keep up with Greg James and his sweet little 50 Rude.
          I do not run WOT with mine but I could.

I know Bill Roberts had two of them on his Cat and I did hear those run and that was sweet for darn sure.
          If you look back at some of the early pictures of the Boston Whaler boats, those ran twins too.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
          X