Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Bellboy 265 I think. (let's see how far I get into the restoration)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Bellboy 265 I think. (let's see how far I get into the restoration)

Hello Everyone!

I bought this boat on the tail end of last season for $100. After living in Bremerton and replacing 3 different floors in some craigslist free Fiberforms. I vowed never to buy a used boat again. Why do we do these things to ourselves? I now live in Spokane, Wa. I really hope there are some people close by that can give me pointers in person. If not....

I bought the boat in Yakima and brought it up here. That weekend I float tested it. It did not pass. No worries, a couple 1/4" holes in the transom from what ever used to be there. I brought it out of the water, let it dry for a week, then tossed in some screws and silicone.

It has a Johnson 35 hp pull start on the back. '59 I think. I have a '56 Elgin 2.5hp? for a trolling motor. I was able to get the motor running but it kept starving itself of gas if I kicked it up to higher RPM. It has a known bad lower end gasket too. I replaced the oil before my first run and checked it after. It was too milky for my comfort. Actually anyone's comfort. I have a local guy that winterized the boat for me. I'm going to take it back to him have him fix the seal, tune it up, and figure out that starving gas. I assume that it's because it was a very old metal OMC gas tank that had a bad screen (filter). I found out during the off season. So clogged something? He quoted me $200. He also told me that the fuel mixture was 50:1. He sounded pretty confident. I thought I was floating a steam boat when I took it on the water that one time.

The trailer needs a good amount of TLC. New winch, new rollers, paint, tire, etc....

Back to the boat. WHAT IS IT!! Please help. I can not find any info about it. No pictures or anything. According to Fiberglassics there might be a reference to it from the brochure. Take a look at the pictures. Some previous owner got smart and if you flip up one of the cushions in the bow, there is a porta-potty. Awesome, I have two small girls.

Things I need to do for this season:
    1. Get the Transom/hull/integrity checked out by a professional and ensure it's safe for me to take my family out.
    2. Get the motor freshened and up to speed,
    3. Get the Trailer up to operating condition.
    4. Attach fishing pole holders.
    5. Get a new portable gas tank.
    6. I will update later.

Things I would like to do eventually:
    1. Replace all the windows.
    2. Fix the cracks for the top window.
    3. Fill in all holes.
    4. Build seats/storage in the back.
    5. Paint it.
    6. Get a electric start motor with a generator so the boat will have electricity.
    7. Remove the bed liner from the floor and carpet everything.
    8. Figure out why I don't have a bilge pump. I have 2 plugs in the Transom. One at the floor level and one right above the Keel. But there is no access to that from inside the boat.
    9. I will update later.

I am hoping that there might be someone local that can help guide me in the right direction so I don't take a grinder to something I should not. If not, I will be relying on the Club. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Hello, welcome. I just sent you an email a bit ago, glad you found the site. Lots of knowledge here. I live just about an hour east in Pinehurst (up by Kellogg).

Comment

Originally posted by DasRip View Post
      Hello Everyone!

I bought this boat on the tail end of last season for $100. After living in Bremerton and replacing 3 different floors in some craigslist free Fiberforms. I vowed never to buy a used boat again. Why do we do these things to ourselves? I now live in Spokane, Wa. I really hope there are some people close by that can give me pointers in person. If not....

I bought the boat in Yakima and brought it up here. That weekend I float tested it. It did not pass. No worries, a couple 1/4" holes in the transom from what ever used to be there. I brought it out of the water, let it dry for a week, then tossed in some screws and silicone.

It has a Johnson 35 hp pull start on the back. '59 I think. I have a '56 Elgin 2.5hp? for a trolling motor. I was able to get the motor running but it kept starving itself of gas if I kicked it up to higher RPM. It has a known bad lower end gasket too. I replaced the oil before my first run and checked it after. It was too milky for my comfort. Actually anyone's comfort. I have a local guy that winterized the boat for me. I'm going to take it back to him have him fix the seal, tune it up, and figure out that starving gas. I assume that it's because it was a very old metal OMC gas tank that had a bad screen (filter). I found out during the off season. So clogged something? He quoted me $200. He also told me that the fuel mixture was 50:1. He sounded pretty confident. I thought I was floating a steam boat when I took it on the water that one time.

The trailer needs a good amount of TLC. New winch, new rollers, paint, tire, etc....

Back to the boat. WHAT IS IT!! Please help. I can not find any info about it. No pictures or anything. According to Fiberglassics there might be a reference to it from the brochure. Take a look at the pictures. Some previous owner got smart and if you flip up one of the cushions in the bow, there is a porta-potty. Awesome, I have two small girls.

Things I need to do for this season:
      1. Get the Transom/hull/integrity checked out by a professional and ensure it's safe for me to take my family out.
      2. Get the motor freshened and up to speed,
      3. Get the Trailer up to operating condition.
      4. Attach fishing pole holders.
      5. Get a new portable gas tank.
      6. I will update later.

Things I would like to do eventually:
      1. Replace all the windows.
      2. Fix the cracks for the top window.
      3. Fill in all holes.
      4. Build seats/storage in the back.
      5. Paint it.
      6. Get a electric start motor with a generator so the boat will have electricity.
      7. Remove the bed liner from the floor and carpet everything.
      8. Figure out why I don't have a bilge pump. I have 2 plugs in the Transom. One at the floor level and one right above the Keel. But there is no access to that from inside the boat.
      9. I will update later.

I am hoping that there might be someone local that can help guide me in the right direction so I don't take a grinder to something I should not. If not, I will be relying on the Club. Thanks in advance.
      Hi and Welcome aboard. She looks to be a 1957 to 1957 Bell Boy 16 Express.
      What length is she? could be 16 or 18ft.
      Might also check on Fiberglassics.com as they have a pretty good line of pictures, no reason for us to duplicate it.
      I also think in the Supporting Members area we have one of the boys that have done one of those from start to finish.

Something looks fishy with the windows. Most of those hulls were pretty much the same on those and the cabins had changed a little. Looks like someone cut out the smaller windows and did something different. (Personally, that boat should have have any right angles, all the windows should have been rounded)
      Those are great little boats by the way.
      I will attach a picture of mine for you.
      How is the floor in that ? That is one of the Bell Boys that had wooden stringers in them. The bigger ones had fiberglass stringers so that just might be a issue.

One way (lots of opinions should be available to form your own) that I do it is drill a hole, slowly and watch the wood that comes out. When you get them drilled for exploration, you drill it just a Tad larger than a Hardwood dowel that can be had at most hardware stores. Use epoxy and pound them into the drilled holes.
      If you have Any movement across the transom, first clue its going or gone, might last a season but chain the motor to inside the boat just in case the motor comes loose or, keep a eye on your engine mounts on the boat.
      (never looked on Youtube for more ways to check transoms but might be some on there)

Mine is a 1959 and the stringers, floor, transom, splashwell, and cabin bulkhead are shot. She needs All the wood replace but when you look at it, not really that much wood in them, most is fiberglass. She needs a full restoration along with windows and bright ware.

Might shoot some detailed images of your transom and post those so we all can see.
      I think I have this setup as so you can keep posting images up to 20.

Plenty of help here and for the most part, we can walk you through each step.
      Attached Files
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks Nick and Helmar for the warm welcomes! Nick I will definitely be giving you call soon. I would be so down to get involved in some Spokane/ CDA activities.

Helmar: I found my title and it says it's a 15'. That (windows, etc..) is what I was talking about with all the little differences. I haven't seen anything like it out there on the internet. The floor seems pretty stable. I don't notice any soft spots. The previous owner painted it with the black Walmart brand Rhino Liner. I'm not amused by it. On a hot summer day I can't take my shoes off. I redid a floor in a FiberForm with outdoor carpet from lowes and was quite pleased with it. I would like to do that again. The one thing I am quite confused about. Should I have some kind of bilge pump? I think i have ports on the side of the boat that look like I hook a hose up. But no hose... You are a braver soul than I. When I was younger I had a boat that all wood was shot. I didn't even think about taking that project on. I gave it to a guy that turned it into a sand box for his son. Once I am off bed-rest I will take the tarp off and take some more pictures. Focusing on the transom, crack near the window, and interior.

Has anyone had any luck with shining up these old oxidized windows? I tried Walmart Hull Cleaner and it helped a lot. But not all of it.

Aha! I found my Title. Imagine, it was in my truck ready to go out to the lake this spring.

The boat shall be named:
        Year: 1960
        Make: BELLBOY
        Length: 15
        Hull Type: FIBRGLASS
        Propulsion: OUTBD
        Fuel: GAS
        Primary Use: PLEAS
        Vessel Type: RUNABT

OOO. Something I have not seen before on here. At the bottom of the title:
        Series/Body: POGPR15. Does that tickle anyone's memory?

Comment

I normally treat the windows like plastic head lights on cars. I use a good 3m cutting agent and use a buffer. Seems to work pretty good for me.
          Anyone else got any neat tricks ?
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
          X