Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saratogan News

Storm

Wow! Last weeks weather was serious bad in Friday Harbor. The Spring Street landing moorage is really exposed to the northerlys. There is a large concrete float to the north of us and it is sizable (about 20 feet wide, 90 feet long) but it wasn't enough to knock down the waves generated by winds that were 30 to 60 miles per hour.

The Sea Lyon, moored next to me which is 55 X 16 feet wide was rolling about 30 degrees at one point. I moved the Saratogan back about 15 feet and had eight lines on it including a line stretched over to the next finger pier to keep the fenders from chafing the new paint.

By 11:00 that night the tide was very low and 4 and 5 foot waves were breaking on the beach just a few feet from where I am moored. One guy's boat broke lose and I organize a rescue effort. Got the boat secured with little damge. Finally got to bed about midnight and by then the wind had dropped to 45. Happy to report..no damage to the Saratogan!!

Rats!
    Just before the cold hit I got a rat aboard the Saratogan. I had the vent flaps open, guess he just walked in. I was pissed! Set a trap and next morning the trap was tripped but no rat. Set three traps the next day. Next morning I had 3 inches of his tail in the trap, but no rat. Hasn't come back, so I assume I maimed him. Now to find his little carcass! Geeze, may have to pull out some interior panels!

Small World!
    Have a good one....

Cheers,

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

How nice to name the Saratogan after your daughter! Having no daughters myself, the best I could do was name my Bristol Bay double ender after my wife. Called it "The Old Bat". Somehow that marriage didn't work out.
    Glad to hear Sweet Zoanna weathered the storm. So did Rosario setting on her trailer with a cover over her. Wind gust on Lummi Island measured at 67 mph. No boats in the water around here.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 14836
      How nice to name the Saratogan after your daughter! Having no daughters myself, the best I could do was name my Bristol Bay double ender after my wife. Called it

"The Old Bat". Somehow that marriage didn't work out.
      Glad to hear Sweet Zoanna weathered the storm. So did Rosario setting on her trailer with a cover over her. Wind gust on Lummi Island measured at 67 mph. No boats in the water around here.
      Very funny Jerry!
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Tim, The name looks great ! At one time i told Sheila i was considering naming one of OUR boats "The Other Women" that did not go over to well. I wonder why ? Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Rat Zapper

Tim, Google Rat zapper and check it out. I had a fairly large rat infestation about a year ago after one of my neighbors got rid of a couple of junk trucks and a whole lot of blackberry bushes. The junk trucks were full of rats and they decided to come live with me. I got a Rat Zapper and within about two weeks 17 rats bought it. I still use it and I zap an occasional mouse. They really work and the best thing is that there is no muss no fuss. I just dump the little cridders in a plastic bag, tie it shut and throw it in the garbage. They don't get wounded and scurry away and end up suffering, dying and rotting someplace where you can't find them. :shocked4:
          Greg James

Comment

Sounds too good to be true. Lummi Island has been infested with rats since the days of the salmon canneries and they crawl up in insulation and die and stink up the house. Got a cat but Becky won't let it outside because of raccoons, coyotes and eagles. Gonna check out the Rat Zapper. Glad it kills them unlike the ultrasonic mouse, rat and spider chaser we bought many years ago. Spider made webs between it and the wall.
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 14838
              Tim, The name looks great ! At one time i told Sheila i was considering naming one of OUR boats "The Other Women" that did not go over to well. I wonder why ? Chuck
              Too Funny Chuck! Mike
              >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Working...
              X