New to boat ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to boat ownership

I don't own one yet but am looking at an early 50's Calkins craft. Its a 20 or 21 footer, double ender. I didn't write down any info on it but have been learning what to look for as I read through this website. The boat does have dry root around the deck, some apparent fiberglass repair on the bow but pretty solid. The engine is an inboard Volvo 4 cylinder with dual carbs. Looks like the engine in the old Volvo 122 sedans and wagons, kind of cool.

Questions: Could the engine be original? What might the HP of the engine? Would parts be available for the engine? Boat has 2 stainless steel gas tanks, is that what they came with?

If I buy this I will certainly have many more questions.

Welcome Aboard!!

We are glad you found us. Always fun to meet new folks who have caught the
    "fever." Hang tight and I'm sure you'll get the answers you seek. We sure have a great group of people who are always willing to share.

Good luck with your search!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Saltchuck. Being a double ender, sounds like your looking at a Bartender. The Calkins Craft have a square stern. Not sure if your aware, but there is site dedicated to building and restoring the Bartenders. It's ran by Bill Childs, he can certainly answer any questions you may have. Plus provide some good advice on restoration. Here's the link the their site.

http://www.bartenderboats.com/

Hope you drag it home. I've been drooling over the Bartender's for many years.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by SaltChuck, post: 9873
        I don't own one yet but am looking at an early 50's Calkins craft. Its a 20 or 21 footer, double ender. I didn't write down any info on it but have been learning what to look for as I read through this website. The boat does have dry root around the deck, some apparent fiberglass repair on the bow but pretty solid. The engine is an inboard Volvo 4 cylinder with dual carbs. Looks like the engine in the old Volvo 122 sedans and wagons, kind of cool.

Questions: Could the engine be original? What might the HP of the engine? Would parts be available for the engine? Boat has 2 stainless steel gas tanks, is that what they came with?

If I buy this I will certainly have many more questions.
        Best thing to do is to post a few pictures of both the boat and motor.
        The motor is sounding like a Volvo Penta B18, If so parts are hard to come by. If its the B-20, your good to go for parts.
        The B-18s with dual carbs were around 105hp. Singles were 95 to 100hp, go figure.

It was George Calkins that designed the Bartender boat, plus Many others.
        I knew him before he passed away not too long ago.
        A bartender boat is a hard one to beat for all around boating.

If you can take some pictures of it and post them, that would be great.
        I hear the excuse that I don't own a digital camera which is no excuse any longer as those things cost less then a dinner out now...
        No excuses
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
        X