Next: Opening Day Parade!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: Opening Day Parade!

Hard to believe, but we're only a few weeks away from the Opening Day Parade, to be held Saturday, May 1 in Seattle.

Northwest Classic Boat Club has been registered for the event, as a fleet, but we need to know who's planning to participate between now and April 22--the last day to let the sponsoring Seattle Yacht Club know how many boats will be in our fleet.

We're hoping for a big turnout and great weather this year, so we hope you can participate in this always-entertaining event!

As most of you know, Seattle's Opening Day Parade is a huge public event, with thousands of spectators lining the parade route and/or watching from boats tied to a log boom along the route through the Montlake Cut and into Union Bay, just east of Portage Bay in the Lake Washington Ship Canal.

The parade begins at 12 noon, and is big enough that the last boats do not enter the parade route until approximately 2:30 p.m. We are registered in the "Spirit" category, which means that we'll start parading by roughly 2 p.m., going west to east through the Montlake Cut.

NWCBC's fleet will gather before the parade at the south end of Lake Union, at the west end of South Lake Union Park, starting between 10 and 11 a.m. If you are launching your boat anywhere in Lake Washington (Magnuson Park, Coulon Park or next to the East Channel Bridge of I-90), you'll need to make your way through the Montlake Cut westbound by not later than 9:30 a.m. on May 1, since parade officials close the Cut to all marine traffic at 9:40 a.m. sharp, in order to begin crew races that happen before the parade.

Other launch options are the ramp in Ballard at the foot of 14th Northwest, just east of the Ballard Bridge on the north side of the Ship Canal, or Northeast Northlake Way, just north of Gasworks Park. (There is more parking for trailers at the Ballard location.) Another possibility is to launch somewhere in Puget Sound and come through the Ballard Locks Friday evening or Saturday morning. Overnight moorage is available just inside the Locks at Lockhaven Marina, where we stayed last year after motoring down the Sound from Marrowstone Island. (Details to follow as we get closer to the event.)

Theme for this year's parade is "Out of This World," and we're planning to make and wear alien masks for the occasion. (More on that next week.)

Please let us know if you are definitely (or maybe) planning to take part in this year's big parade.

Here are a few shots from last year's festivities (western theme), just to get you in the mood...

Thanks,

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, Will be there with the G-3 "California Girl ". Would not miss it rain or shine ! Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

We had hoped to make it this year but alas our boat is not even close :Underconstruction1:, so we will be gardening instead.
      Attached Files
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Shrimp opener also

Three years ago I went to Hood canal from everett to shrimp for my first time. Lost 1 pot, got 2 shrimp. Season closed. Two years ago I tried local. Got 1 shrimp, season closed. Last year I learned about the right bait and the weight the pots should be at Johns Sporting Goods here in N Everett. Went out locally got 75 shrimp first day. 75 shrimp the next weekend, Season closed. However I and my buddy were pulling pots by hand. The second weekend I was by myself. I took several breaks, lost lots of shrimp. This year I have a pot puller with 31/2 briggs the right bait, the right place, and am getting more traps. I will be out in Cool Junk. Representing Northwest boat club on opening day but at Camano head. hopefully limiting out in shrimp. John

Comment

opening day

hey guys i missed the spring tune but we will definetly be there for opening day.the bayliner is the only boat ready but hey it's a 84 so it's almost a classic lol.i'm coming from everett where is the best place for us to launch?

unknown year 10ft hydro
          1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Comment

Marty,

We will be there in the Chris Craft, even if I have to go without sleep for next 3 weeks... And possibly our old canoe with outboard if the crew can get into "Rocketship" form in time (also only bring canoe if its ok with the group? would be piloted by a nonmember but I own it and am a paid member??)

Made good progess on the motor this weekend, found and fixed all the oil and water leaks. Decided to do some redneck restoration on the motor and wirebrushed the entire thing down to bare metal to repaint, then of course under estimated the amount of paint needed and thus ran out 3/4 of the way through...

We have already placed our order for inflatable aliens for the boat and alien hats for all my passengers, so hopefully we can put on a good show again this year.

And I promise to not leave a swimmer in the water this year... :Bigdriving1::Scared2:
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I will be there no matter what. Andy

Comment

I`ll be there in Miss Bee Haven.With flotation.....irate:

Hey John ,
                Two words ....."JACK MACKERAL". {spellcheck..}
                Top shelf in Asian Food section at Safeway.Try it in one pot ,then see if it mtters.We lost a pot once and found it two weeks later,buoy now the size of a Lemon) STILL loaded with 75 shrimp.

Lingcod opener :fishing:is that day too,may do a pre Parade morning trip if I get ahead.
                TImM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

It looks like I will be able to make it, after thinking that I wouldn't. A slow speed event will be perfect for the Homelite!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy E., post: 10423
                    I will be there no matter what. Andy
                    In the Sea Knight?

Comment

Looks like we will be able to make it this year. We are really looking forward to being able to attend this year!

Comment

Holey Mackeral

Tim, John at Johns sporting goods turned me on to that. His bait is 1 can Friskies Ocean whitefish w/tuna, 1 can Jack Mackeral, cat food pellets made from sea food soaked in Pro cure shrimp oil. and put in a bait tube with holes. Worked great. John

Comment

Opening Day Parade

....So, who else might participate in the May 1 Opening Day Parade...?

(We know you're out there, thinking about it and/or maybe waiting to see what the weather forecast looks like. Please let us know if you're considering the event--if we haven't already heard from you--since we need a final boat count by April 22.)

Thanks,

- Marty
                          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hey Ole.
                            Not looking good for me at this point. Will know more the closer we get to the time limit.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Holly and I will be donning our spacesuits in the GlastronJet intergalactic hydrogen/oxygen seeking spaceship.... :donttouch:

This will be the initial deployment of the craft-equipped with the "endoplasmodic vartinium transorber" alien vaporizing missiles-this technology guarantees to mitigate the Universal Consortium power balance.

FYI: We will most likely be embarking from Stan Sayres pits in Seward Park, with any luck-entering the Lake Union before the cut is off-limits.

Comment

Working...
                              X