Let the Skagit-X games begin...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Skagit-X games begin...

Thanks to Marty's generosity the infamous 1957 Skagit-X project hull has a new home. We drug the stripped 17-footer on the ferry Tuesday night, after Helmar helped load the beast at his International headquarters.

The origins of the Skagit "Chop top" concept are not clear to me. While snooping around the archives of this site last year-I spotted the green gem(see below)that Marty had apparently photoshopped as a design excercise.

The picture brought back memories of my childhood. One of our neighbors had a big boat-that in my hazy recollection had to be a late 50's Skagit with it's sweepng lines-I thought it was awesome...another kids dad had a chop top 40-something Ford. The "Hot Rod" in me dreamt of a modified boat that would be similar to the trick rides in my CarToons magazines.

Fast forward 35+ years...I took about 25 minutes this afternoon(while waiting for paint to dry on our opening day ride) to perform a 2 1/4" chop to the old girls roof line. Some additional trimming will happen soon to get the look just right.

I hope that many fond "hot rodding" memories will be evoked by this project.
    Attached Files

Greg, I'm pretty sure I heard some ZZ Top while reading your post. Rock on!!

Comment

Comment

Wait a minute ! ! !....fella ! ! !

Greg, You will need to pay me off for the " Copyright " i have on the " Skagit X " name that is on file ( # 2846504375 ) with the copyright dept of the US Goverment back in 2008. Just send me a check for $3,750.51 lol I always thought it would have been a fun project. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Actually....

Greg -

Yes, I Photoshopped the image after getting the chopped-top idea. The photo was of the '57 Skagit 17 I restored several years ago--chopped and changed from red to lime green.

Chuck may have called it Skagit X, but I always referred to it as Project X, and it'll be a be a very cool boat. If I keep my '55 Skagit 20 Express inboard, it may get the same treatment.

I regret not completing Project X, but customers' boats come first and there never seems to be enough time or $$ to finish all of the myriad personal projects.

Have fun...

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Right to vote...

Thanks for enabling my madnessCutUp1 guys, I'll attempt to bring your concept to fruition in a reasonable time-frame. As of this moment, we will are planning on Homelte/Fageol power, but have a mid-ship 4-banger with shaft running to a Hamilton Jet-bouncing around in my head.Screwy1

After the ferry ride Chuck, I only have .37 cents and (4)Evinrude V-4 carbs to offer in compensation of your claim...

This one's for you Bis:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOf2rW-FU2g"]YouTube- BACKYARD BOATER BABIES[/nomedia]

early jet:
            [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVsdU_AVqvQ"]YouTube- 1959 Dowty Jet boat 3 Stage Hamilton Jet, Canada's Oldest Jetboat[/nomedia]
            Attached Files

Comment

Ohh yeah!!Thanks Greg

Comment

[quote="slo-mo, post: 10585"]Thanks for enabling my madnessCutUp1 guys, I'll attempt to bring your concept to fruition in a reasonable time-frame. As of this moment, we will are planning on Homelte/Fageol power, but have a mid-ship 4-banger with shaft running to a Hamilton Jet-bouncing around in my head.Screwy1

Knarley Dude StirPot

Did you ask Ole for the hatch cover ?
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                X