Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User here.

Hello,
    My name is Kelly, I am new to this site, and looking to get to know all of you. I am a new boat owner, (first one ever) its a 1960 tollycraft roustabout that i am restoring. the last owner converted this boat from and outboard to an inboard, and i need to make the big decission on weather or not to turn it back into an outboard ( it looks really nice as an inboard) and wanted to know what others thoughts are on this. I will be posting pictures of her on here soon as i get more and show the progress. there is some rot on the stern of the boat thats why i am wondering if i should turn her back to an outboard? well its nice to meet you all and will keep looking on here daily while i work on my new pride and joy.
    Kelly Holdiman
    :fishing:

Welcome Aboard

Hey Kelly..

Got any pictures to share....We all like pictures :TakePicture1: :TakePicture1: :TakePicture1:

Lots of power options, and with pictures, you will get Lots of comments, and suggestions i am sure..

Welcome aboard Kelly .:Skipper1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome

Hi Kelly, welcome to the site.

Helmar is right, pictures are good and you'll get lots of advice here from folks who are knowledgable. We're looking forward to seeing your project and progress.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the comments and here are some pics of my 1960 tollycraft enjoy as i am and look forward to the comments.VeryBigSmile
        Attached Files
        Kelly Holdiman

Comment

Originally posted by kholdiman, post: 17035
          Hello,
          My name is Kelly, I am new to this site, and looking to get to know all of you. I am a new boat owner, (first one ever) its a 1960 tollycraft roustabout that i am restoring. the last owner converted this boat from and outboard to an inboard, and i need to make the big decission on weather or not to turn it back into an outboard ( it looks really nice as an inboard) and wanted to know what others thoughts are on this. I will be posting pictures of her on here soon as i get more and show the progress. there is some rot on the stern of the boat thats why i am wondering if i should turn her back to an outboard? well its nice to meet you all and will keep looking on here daily while i work on my new pride and joy.

Nice....Fins has one of those I think ??:cool1:

Looks as someone had installed an I/0 package and for what I can see of the hole in the transom, looks to be a Mercrusier that has been removed.

Marty would be good at the repower options as he is the wood guy. Me, I am a Glass guy.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Kelly, any chance you're looking for a 305 Mercruiser to fill that hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 17056
              Kelly, any chance you're looking for a 305 Mercruiser to fill that hole?
              Dude......that Tolly is not that big of boat.
              Fact is, I bet she was pretty tail heavy with the I/0 which pretty sure would have been a 4 banger.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yeah,

so it would be awesome, huh? :shocked4:

Comment

If you think strapping your Butt to a Rocket is Awesome, then well, Yes VeryBigSmile
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Hi Kelly
                    I have a 1960 tolly also. 17' outboard type. It had a
                    fiberglass dash, 2 piece curved windshield and vinyl
                    all over the inside. I probably won,t use much of that
                    as I put in a mahogany dash and 1 of the glass pieces
                    is broken $$$$$$ I plan to build a four piece window
                    for it.
                    I got a new project Saturday (free seafair sedan from Helmer)
                    so it will be on the back back back burner.

Happy motoring

Randy

Comment

Not sure how one would handle with the I/O package, but with a 35 hp vintage Merc the boat is a blast! They are a TINY boat though so I would be carefull with too much power. I will scan some of the original line drawings and spec sheets I have from Tollycraft.

Yours look really close to how we started. Take you time and have fun!
                      Attached Files
                      BRIAN FRANCHINI
                      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

so originally the 1960 Tollycraft roustabout came with an outboard, but they guy i got it from converted it to an inboard. It had a 120 4bannger in her but he cracked the block and she sat for two years. now there is rot in the stern and so i need to replace the back. so the Question is should i keep it as an inboard (which i like) or should i go back to a outboard? as for the engine offered as much as i do like strapping a rocket to my backside :Scared1: lol with the 120 in her she was stern heavy and had to be balanced with the gas tank in the bow of the boat. so my ears are open and would love to hear what yall think.
                        Kelly Holdiman

Comment

It is possible that you have a 1964 Tollycraft Tolvo. That is the first indication that I see of Tolly using an I/O drive from the factory. The deck and bow area seem like they match up to your boat pretty close (at least as close as can be on a 2"x1" B&W picture). I don't think that the bump on top of your transom is original since I can't find a stock factory photo of one like that so it is possible that someone modified it that way. Just more information to digest!

1964 Tolly lineup
                          Attached Files
                          BRIAN FRANCHINI
                          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

they guy i got it from changed it from and outboard to an inboard sorry if i got that mixed up in my last post.
                            Kelly Holdiman

Comment

I now have his boat

Kelly gave me his Tollycraft and I am now in the process of tear down.
                              Oh I'm his DAD.
                              So I started to remove the the added piece to the transom. My objective here is to return it to outboard mode. After digging into it a little bit I may have some rot further down. If that is the case I'll remove the old completely and replace with new wood.
                              As you can see in these pictures of the stern the previous owner really did do a good job matching things up, but he forgot to make sure it was water tight.
                              The boat needs all new steering wheel and cabling, throttle/ gear selector and dash. There is some rot in non critical areas which I'll take care of later.

The exterior paint is odd. As i unloaded the boat the paint cracked on the bow. As I started to sand it I noticed that it looked a lot like formica and as I pealed it off it came off in medium sized sheets. Odd but it should be a breeze to get it all off quick.I'll update every few weeks

1960 TollyCraft
                              Runabout
                              16'
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X