needing a little bit of help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing a little bit of help

Ive been away in the military and my grandfather had left me his 1958 17' skagit when he passed away. Its been sitting for a few years as I was on the other side of the country but now that im back id love to get it back to how he had it. My uncle kept the boat clean and running so theres nothing major wrong with it just a few cosmetic things that id like to renew in honor of my grandfather. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi David and welcome to the group.
    You came to the right place as there are a bunch of us that have Skagits.
    I myself have 4 of them. Lots have been restored here on this site too.
    First off, we all love pictures and they are pretty easy to upload. Just size them like you would for a email message is all.
    Anyway, while you are typing in the post, look below and you will see three buttons.
    Post Reply, Upload a File (the one you want), Pick your file from wherever you have it stored in your computer and upload it.
    You can upload I believe 15 plus pictures at least.....
    So, please
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

When you go to post, you should see a Reply just to the right of your posting.
      That one takes a little time to come back around and display on your screen. This is due to your connection to the Internet for one. It always take a little time...

If you scroll down, you would see your name on the left, maybe your Avatar if you uploaded one and also your City and State (where is JBLM?). You will have a box or area you can start typing in.
      Above that are some text helpers and even the Smilies are available up there)

Anyway, looks like your Skagit is in pretty good shape to start with.
      Some of the items are Perko that can be replaced by looking in the Fisheries catalog, even Westmarine/PortSupply catalogs. You will get darn close and if not that, you pretty much have to pull and send in the parts for re chroming. I see CF on the hull which tells me you might have been a little less rain with her. Where was she down in CA?

By the way, I have three 59 Skagits 14' Sportster, 16' Skimaster, and a 20' Offshore with the Volvo I/O and a 58 Express that need full restoration.

Are you aware that they do not have wood stringers? All Fiberglass with a little strip of mahogany under the upper ridge to imbed deck fasteners into.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Jblm is the army base just south of tacoma washington. And yes my grandfather lived in oakridge oregon and always had it stored under the canopy. When he passed away we took it down to my parents in california. Its been there while I've been away in the military. Now that I got stationed here in washington I figured there's no better place to be in out the skagit. I honestly have no idea about boats all I know is this was his pride and joy so theres not much wrong with it. I would like to replace the carpet for sure and the canopy needs to be replaced. Other then that not much needs to be done. Just some odds and end touch ups

Comment

Hi David, You did come to the right place ! Your grandfathers boat looks great ! Being that you are at JBLM you are in one of the best places to cruise with your Skagit and that is SouthSound. This summer you will need to come up to LaConner to the Car & Boat show where there will be quite a few Skagit's from 14' to 31'and other brands as well. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck I see your doing alot of restoration work. Where should I turn to to get a new canopy and redo the carpets? I want to keep the boat the same as he has it just need to replace the canopy as it is cracked and the carpets are sun bleached. Im new to the boating world so still learning the ropes. Is there specialty shops for classic boats to fix these or since they are minor can I get these at any normal boating shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidb, post: 28209, member: 2395
              Chuck I see your doing alot of restoration work. Where should I turn to to get a new canopy and redo the carpets? I want to keep the boat the same as he has it just need to replace the canopy as it is cracked and the carpets are sun bleached. Im new to the boating world so still learning the ropes. Is there specialty shops for classic boats to fix these or since they are minor can I get these at any normal boating shop?
              Chuck and several others can tell you were to replace your canvas top. Same with the rugs.
              We have several people here that are still in the industary and able to work for club members at a very Very fair price. Tim M is one that can do complete restoration as well as very good engine guy.
              A few of us are retired restorators that can help with the folks that would like to Do it yourself.
              Like Chuck and several others.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 28210, member: 59
                Chuck and several others can tell you were to replace your canvas top. Same with the rugs.
                We have several people here that are still in the industary and able to work for club members at a very Very fair price. Tim M is one that can do complete restoration as well as very good engine guy.
                A few of us are retired restorators that can help with the folks that would like to Do it yourself.
                Like Chuck and several others.

David, If you would like to talk to me about the canvas work you may call me at my in house work number anytime. 425-742-4319 day or night

Comment

One thing that would be nice is for you to take a Bunch of detailed pictures of the whole inside both cockpit and cabin area as most of the ones we have seen have been or came from the berry bushes.
                  We have one other that came from family and his is a 20 footer.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 28212, member: 59
                    One thing that would be nice is for you to take a Bunch of detailed pictures of the whole inside both cockpit and cabin area as most of the ones we have seen have been or came from the berry bushes.
                    We have one other that came from family and his is a 20 footer.

Joe, By the looks of David driveway pictures? it reminds me of BruceB Skagit 20. Nice looking

Comment

Well, seeing Bruce's boat and now I would like to see the cockpit area and cabin on Davids.
                      I am not sure I can come up with them but I had some of the original wooden type seats that was in my 58 20ft express. They were in pretty bad shape but you could see they looked stock.
                      I remember showing them and making the statement that the Glass guys and Wood guys didn't get along very well as the fiberglass had such smooth lines and the seats were a bunch of mostly right angles.

I find it pretty interesting that the Skagits got to a certain point in production that it shows that the customer was given quite a few options. Look at my 59 for instance. John Nelson and I went over and over this and it appears that mine came out of the factory with that I/O package.
                      Did you know that my B18 is totally supported by the transom. There are NO front or side mounts.
                      Some of the boats that Marty would drag back to the shop all seemed to have different designs that look as they were made At the factory.

Anyway, looking forward to some possible pictures.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thank you for all the input. Check back tomorrow as I will have my dad take some pictures of the inside so I can post for advice. Its parked at my dads in california because I just got orders to washington from my last duty station in kansas. I plan on going to get it very soon to get it back out on the sound where she belongs.

Comment

David, welcome to the site. If you need any info on JBLM and the area with regards to boats, let me know. I've been at McChord since 2005 but I'm also from Olympia originally. I look forward to helping out and possibly cruising together. I just bought a house on Black Lake in Tumwater (29 miles south from JBLM) and have a big dock, you're more than welcome to hit up the lake and stop by when you get situated. I can send you my email via private message..

Comment

Working...
                          X