Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user with '61 Dorsett Catalina

Hello to all,

I've been stopping by this site for a couple of years now to browse and learn a few things about classic boats, and have finally picked up a Dorsett Catalina project. The boat was only a few miles from home and I really couldn't pass it up.

I restore vintage cars for a living but don't have much experience with boats, or fiberglass, for that matter. I'm looking forward to learning a few things as I tear into the Catalina.

I'm guessing that floor replacement will lead to stringers and stringers will lead to transom work, too.
    There's lots of fantastic info on this site and I feel like I've found half of the answers to my questions, already, just reading through old threads.
    Mike

Welcome Mike. You found the right place
    There are enough of here that can walk you through pretty much any step of the way of doing a complete restoration.
    Several of us used to do the boat restorations for a living. Some of us have experience on certain products. I like the Fiberlay Laminating Fiberglass resin and then the Westsystem Epoxy resin myself but lots of others to choose from. Never had any of that fail me.

So, to start off with, Pictures, need pictures.

I hope to have enough body left for one more resto and that is my 61 Dorsett Catalina.
    Only thing is I have to put another shop together.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks, I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people in the club and I look forward to contributing my help where I can.

[ATTACH]16313[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]16314[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice....I see she is from Idaho. Makes me wonder how the bright work is. I would hope its not all pitted to pieces like most. I see she has a fresh water trailer too. Same with mine too.
        Between my Son and I, we have three of those white 50 Mercs as long as I don't loose them up in Quilcene....
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Cool boat, I think I saw it on CL?? Welcome to the site, officially

Comment

Yes, this boat was on CL. The fellow I bought it from had brought it from Idaho in 2006 but never did a thing with it. I'm hoping the merc 700 that is on it can be made to run, but I'm not holding my breath!
            Helmar, the chrome is about as bad as on any of the Washington boats I've seen.

Comment

Mike, You will have a lot of fun restoring that Dorsett Catalina. I had a Dorsett Farallon that Helmar and Marty Loken did the wood work on as i'am not into that part of working on boats. At this time i have a Dorsett Saratoga runabout i think i will be finishing up this winter and a 1959 Skagit 20 i have as well. Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Mike, love your Dorsett. I am looking forward to following your restoration. Marty and Helmar restored our 1958 Farrallon. The Sue-Sea-Q. Fox Isand. Welcome aboard!

Allan
                1958 Dorsett Farallon
                1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Working...
                X