Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Astoria OR

Hi,
    Real Name is Willie, but since the Movie "Wall-E", I thought that would be more modern... When riding motorcycle, road name is "scooter"...
    New to here but not to boats.. The boats seen here at this site were some I grew up with, that I always enjoyed looking at and working on.
    Lived on a lake growing up, south of Puyallup, WA near where is now Northwest Trek.
    Dad was retired Air Force. He had actually bought the lakefront property in High School, an built a small cabin on it before WWII, then after returning, added on to it and raised his family.
    I really enjoyed the lake. Though we didn't have a ski boat, I had a kayak that was fun to paddle around. On the back porch while in the 8th grade I built a small hydroplane "Minimax" painted bright yellow. It shocked my dad that I built it all by myself in 2 days, that he went out and got me an old 7.5 Merc (green). I had my own waterski, and a can of gas that I would go around the lake and bum a tow... Then in High School wood shop I built a Glen-L "Tuffy", which I owned until 1999 when she went up in smoke in a garage fire.
    Dad passed on last year at the age of 95. Sister and her husband still live in the house as they were there there the past 10 years taking care of dad. Mother passed on 20 years ago.
    I worked at a marina for a year and a half on the east coast after the 3 year stint in the Army and Vietnam, then came back to WA, worked in Kent/Auburn, WA at Clark Boat Company building San Juan sailboats till 1978. Then worked at Almar Marine in Tacoma building aluminum jet boats. In 1979 got a "government" job in Tacoma, WA maintaining the National Guard/Reserve training vessels.
    Raised 5 wonderful children, then wife decides I'm no longer needed.. So I worked a few more years and retired in 2006, moved to Astoria, OR.
    Always wanted a Bartender Boat.. I'd build one but I also want a boat that I can use in my lifetime that is left. Haven't found an affordable fixer-upper and certainly cannot afford a ready to go one.
    Being retired, and the ex getting part of my retirement, and getting used to getting a mere pittance once a month, now a wonderful woman I recently met shares the rest, (plus the remodel of our home) has me working harder that I have the past 30 years...
    So alternative is some sort of minature cabin type. Glasspar Seafair or Dorsett Catalina. I really like the curve of the Dorsett transom.
    The funny thing is that in growing up, I had two summer buddies whos parents owned vacation cabins on the lake. One had a Dorsett Catalina, one had a Glasspar Seafair.
    It was such fun to stay overnight with either of them or both together, tied to the dock, rocking away with the waves in the small cabin.
    The innoscent times of our lives, before the rude awakening growing up fast while wollowing through rice patties chasing an elusive enemy. Some of that still haunts me after all these years...
    Maybe that is why I am leaning toward one of these, to help with memories of the innoscent years to drown out the not so nice memories.. BUt those who have been in this area know, it is either raining, going to rain, or it has just stopped.
    Therefore a boat with either a hardtop or a cuddy cabin of sorts to get out of the weather is almost a must. Plus I'd like to do some weekend "camping" while exploring the river. Plus I am limited to 19 feet because of storage reasons...
    Someday I'd like to boat from here to Richland, where I have a daughter and her husband..
    Anyway, currently boatless. So I thought I'd join this site to do some research and possibly find leads on finding my "Dream Boat". White with red trim or all red would be cool. I know where there is a re Catalina that has been in ads off and on the past 6 months but too high for me at this time.
    Have been digging in the back yard hoping to find some pot of gold the previous owner left, but all I get is worms weeds and water.
    So I guess I need to set aside a few dollars here an there and eventually find me an easy fixer upper that I can get in the water within the time I still have some health left.
    Thanks,
    Will-E

Welcome Will-E.
    I knew of a person with the name of Scooter but I won't mention names of who he rode with nor will I tell anyone who I rode with.
    I was known as Helmar the Terrible and my side kick was Maddog.
    Might remember him or I from those ABATE Run 21 events down towards Astoria. Those were the mild days.

Anyway, good story and glad to have you.
    Boats turn up all the time but you get what you pay for. Most are Projects that we take from the hull up.

As far as the Bartender boats, I work with Marty Loken ( Ole and Helmar) at a shop that was George Calkins, designer and builder of that famous Bartender boats.
    Good stories, but old George just cross over the bar for the last time a few months ago.

OH, just because you don't have a boat, show up at the events and you can ride in the different boats to see what you might like.

Enjoy
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.. Actually I am on the Bartender chat site. I was able to meet Dave Kruger in Astoria, owner of a home built (nice) Bartender. I helped him de winterize her last month an he took me out for the spring shakedown cruise...

There was a Hydroswift hardtop on craigslist last month I was going to go look at after I made my trip to see some of my grand kids up in Washington. My wife went over to the local boat "candy store" and was going to supprise me with a new 40 HP motor. She got sticker shock real fast, now she thinks I should just get a small boat to throw in the back of the truck an maybe a new battery for my electric motor.

Last fall I sold my motorcycle; one, because I need surgery and couldn't ride for a while anyway, it was taking up space in the garage and we(?) wanted to get wife's car inside.. Was planning on picking something up this spring but wife doesn't want me to get another motorcycle, plus she finagled me into spending most of my "see" money on the remodel... Hummm.... Can't give up all the toys.. I've been a lone wolf rider for 40 years, just in the past few I belonged to a Combat Veterans Motorcycle group. Meetings were a 3 hour ride since I moved to Oregon; a 20 minute ride before.. So come renewal time, unless I own a motorcycle by then, I no longer will be participating.. I'm steering towards a trike...

Anyway, I only have 9 feet clearence between house and side fence and 19 or so feet to store something behind the house, beside the shed... That's the challenge there.

I just want a boat.. Not to just restore to make money on, just something from the good ol days to putter with and around. I just happen to like the Dorsett....

Will-E

Comment

Welcome! New member here myself, but I've been lurking a bit.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for your hull of choice. It took me just a short month to find my marathon (I was in the market for any 60s era glass runabout in the 14-17 foot range). A good runner with running outboard, for only $900. But be ready to pounce. I found in my searching that the boats that were good deals get snatched up in less than a day. My boat was such an example. Listed in the AM, I bought it in the PM and had to travel to Rainier to get it! Be prepared to travel a bit as well. The market up here in Seattle is pretty active compared to Portland.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
        X