so I was passing this yard sale....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so I was passing this yard sale....

When this little little blue and white runabout caught my eye...

I'd been looking for a warm-up project to get me in the proper frame of mind for taking on the '56 Tyee we bought from Marty when the bridge opens...something not too hard or involved just something to help get rid of the cobwebs and re-introduce me gently to the restoration game...

upon closer inspection I find it's a 16' 1960 Wizard Marlin with a 40hp Lark that's supposed to run...nice seller...he charged up the battery and hooked up the hose while I noted that all of the metal was there and intact (I'm liking this more and more ;-) then it dawns on me that the windshield is glass and it's perfect...I'm keeping my smiles to myself as I tap my way around the boat and listen to the seller explain that he hasn't started the boat in a few years, the gas may be old, it ran a little rough at the end of his last trip...etc etc etc

He hits the key and it starts to turn over and POP!!! a nice little backfire gets my attention ;-p

a little more bulb squeezing and a few more cranks and we have ignition...a little rough at first with a pretty blue haze and it seems to have a slight urinary blockage (sorta weak stream) but that old George Jetson looking Lark took off and ran...

so now we discuss price...we dicker very little and we both seem happy as I wave goodbye and tow it (on a cool looking , well riding trailer down to West Seattle where she now rests in my yard as I practice my "well Dear..." speech for when my wife comes home tonight and notices it...

Here's some pics with nothing done...I'm looking for advice and suggestions...(cleaning up the metal, best paints, floor coverings, where to find another steering wheel, can I change from the cable steering etc etc etc

even though she's not as classy and stylish as a Skagit, Dorsett or BellBoy I think she'll be a fun on the water, a good "warm up for the Tyee and easy to clean-up quick project...

I'd never heard of a Wizard (like the name though ;-) and can't seem to find out much about them...anyone have any ideas where I might look?

...Ric
    Attached Files
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Well Ric, looks like you have another Classic on your hands.
    Nice looking for sure. Great Lake boat too.

The steering can be upgraded with not much issue and you would be able to replace the steering wheel with anything you like.

Looks like we will see you at Alder Lake so we all can paw over your new treasure.

Congrats Ric.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice find Ric and I would say it's got plenty of style going on.
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Thank you sir...

Just measured and there's room for both my still and video tripods in that cockpit so watch out...

whether it's Alder or the next gathering I'll be starting my collection of classic boat photos and you all will be the stars

;-p

Has anyone figured out how to attach a top to those rimless windshields? I shoot in all kinds of weather and having a top will be a priority...hate to wait till the Tyee is done to have one

Comment

my convertable is a pretty easy set up just folds up against the windshied when not in use. keeps the driver and first mate dry !!
          Attached Files
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

thanks but you have a rim/frame...

thanks but yours has a top rim/frame...and mine doesn't...

(really sweet boat btw ;-)

I can't see where the attachment points would go unless it was some kind of flexible bar that somehow caught beneath what little lip there was and/or was held by buttons to the sides in the vertical frame...

here's closer pics of what I'm dealing with...

Thanks...Ric
            Attached Files

Comment

Would a bimini style do it ? Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

It might have too...

I was dreaming about magnets last night...I wonder if that strip is magnetic? they make that flexible magnetic strip which could be sewn in along the edge...

hmmm

I'll have to check that this morning

;-p

Comment

I would think that a good Boat Top guy would have a good idea on how to do that. Looks as if you tried to put those Snap on clips on the ridge top that it would pull that ridge piece off.

Got to be a way to do that and not make it funky looking.

I just don't care for that bimini top look. Its like a "after thought" but if that is the only option, such as the way Chuck has his windshields, its all you have.
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Top for the Runabout

Ric -

For photography from a little runabout, you've got to go with the bimini approach if you need a top at all (with that windshield, at least). You'll really need to be able to shoot over the top of the windshield to get decent shots as you come up on the stern quarter of running boats. Being limited to side-view photos gets old fast, and you obviously can't shoot through the windshield.

Also, imho, it's rarely glass-calm enough to use a tripod in a fast-running smaller boat--just too much shake and wave impact, unless you're using a gyro. You're usually better off hand-holding the camera, using your body as a shock absorber.

(In another life, I worked for 18 years as a professional marine photographer, but today just enjoy casual shooting with a semi-cheap digital camera.)

- Marty
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 3144
                      I would think that a good Boat Top guy would have a good idea on how to do that. Looks as if you tried to put those Snap on clips on the ridge top that it would pull that ridge piece off.

Got to be a way to do that and not make it funky looking.

I just don't care for that bimini top look. Its like a "after thought" but if that is the only option, such as the way Chuck has his windshields, its all you have.
                      Joe, You are right about the funky looking top setup. I really did not want to do it , but when you always had to look at the weather to see if you would go out with the group , that what made me do it. when the rain is coming down like cats & dogs it's not so bad. The minute the rain let up at opening day down it came before going thru the Montlake cut. I don't mind it in the storage form with the boot with it's name on it however. Best,Chuck
                      Attached Files
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I would think that you could use an epoxy or other HD adhesive to adhere snaps to the top of your window rail.
                        Robert Augur

Comment

doesn't have a rail...more like a thin "U" shaped cap that protects the edge of the glass...

and not magnetic

;-(

Comment

Originally posted by skagit 25, post: 3163
                            I would think that you could use an epoxy or other HD adhesive to adhere snaps to the top of your window rail.
                            How about epoxy snaps directly to the glass????
                            Robert Augur

Comment

Working...
                            X