Looking Just Ahead....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Just Ahead....

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, since there are still two NWCBC events between now and then, but it's time to start planning for the Saturday, July 11 "Islands of the Columbia Adventure," which should be one of our more memorable 2009 outings.

The main idea will be to explore some beautiful backwaters in one of Washington State's best-kept secrets--Wahkiakum County, on the lower Columbia River. Included will be back channels of Puget Island, near Cathlamet, along with nearby Steamboat Slough and the historic fishing town of Skamokawa.

Cathlamet will be our primary launch point, using facilities at the town's nice marina. Here's a link:

http://www.cathlametmarina.org/index.html

While we'll be boating on the Columbia River, this section of the river should be calmer than what some of us have experienced in the past when cruising from Sand Island to Portland and back...and there will be several quiet back channels to use. Our guide for this lower Columbia exploration will be Tom Horn of Portland, veteran of many of our Slough Run events, who has taken his runabout through many of the quiet backwaters of Puget Island, Cathlamet and Skamokawa.

While the event is scheduled for one day, many of us from the Puget Sound area will head down sometime on Friday, overnighting within striking distance of the Cathlamet launch ramp. (In the past, when doing Sand Island or other Columbia-Willamette events, several of us have stayed at motels in Castle Rock, which has plenty of accommodations, a big Safeway and other amenities. The drive from there to Cathlamet should take less than an hour...and we'll plan to launch at roughly 10:30-11 a.m. on Saturday.

Personally, we plan to take Friday the 10th off altogether and drive straight to the Cathlamet area, staying in one of the cabins at the marina or somewhere else in the general area. (Lots of accommodations in the county, and campgrounds if you're bringing an RV or like tent-camping.)

Besides our boating adventure, other attractions in the area include a Friday afternoon farmer's market on Puget Island (3-6 p.m.); the historic covered bridge at Gray's River, where I've always wanted to photograph a classic boat, and of course the picturesque and historical towns of Cathlamet and Skamokawa.

While we can all drive home Saturday night following the event, I think we'll make a weekend of it and overnight in the general area, doing some boating on nearby Willapa Bay Sunday before heading home.

So, this will be a "must" event for members in Oregon and Southwestern Washington...and at least a "near-must" event for folks who live in the Puget Sound area. If you have any doubts, just ask any member who's participated in past Sand Island cruises, or last year's Willamette River Cruise. It's very easy to get hooked on boating in the Columbia-Willamette region!

Anybody want to indicate their interest in attending?

We'll post more details on accommodations, etc., over the next few weeks...without trying to compete for attention with this coming weekend's big Skagit 31' launch party in Friday Harbor, or the June 27 Alder Lake Treasure Hunt...two other "must" events.

Below are a few shots from previous Columbia-Willamette adventures, just to whet your appetite.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty,
    You can count us in. We had such a wonderful trip up the Willamette last year that we have been anxious to do it again! This trip sounds wonderful and for anyone who has never cruised one of these area rivers before you are in for a real treat. Here is a few pics as well.
    Attached Files

Comment

question, how long of a cruise is it (how many miles). Might try to make it but need to plan ahead as my little boat has only a portable tank (about 10 gals I think), would probably have to get a second... is there any marina's along the way if fuel is needed?

Comment

Sounds (and looks) great...you'll probably be able to count us in...

Ric & Karin
        '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
        '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
        '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Distance of Cruise...

Ken -

I doubt that we'll cruise more than a total of 40 miles, and much of the time I expect we'll be running at idle speeds, so fuel consumption shouldn't be a big issue. Having said that, I think you can find fuel in or next to the marina at Cathlamet, where we're launching. No other fuel docks in the area that I know of.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, Becky and I plan on attending. We will head down Friday afternoon to overnight some where, and drive back home Saturday.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Count me in

Hi All,
              I think it will be great to have a guide there as I've never been on the lower Columbia. I'll be going down Friday and staying at RV park.
              Scott Christianson

Comment

I'll be there too.

This trip sounds so good I took vacation time from my job to attend. I would like to go and I've talked my wife into coming. We may stay at a hotel on Friday night, close to the launch location.
                1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

We're coming too

Fran and I are planning to attend. We will drive down Friday night and may stay in Portland with Fran's brother, or maybe somewhere closer to the launch point. Looking forward to it!
                  scottmcdade

Comment

Marty,

Unfortunately we will be missing this event. I wanted to attend last year as well but this falls on the same weekend as the first of 6 straight weeks of hydroplane racing. We will be in Chamberlain South Dakota that weekend..

Hope everyone who attends has a great time, I know the views and water done there can be breath taking...
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Hi Marty, If I can get the time off, I'll atleast be there to see everyone off. I've got two projects in the works and no chance of having one ready in time.

Dave
                      Dave Lemon

Comment

Puget Island...

Dave -

Good to hear from you again; hope you get at least one of the projects in the water before summer's over!

See you at Cathlamet...

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                        X