Controls for twin setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controls for twin setup?

I'm sure there is a simple answer for this but I cant seem to find it...

I'm planning on running twin 57 Johnsons (35HP) and need a set of shift/throttle controls. Not having much luck finding anything vintage that looks like it will work. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it period correct if possible.

I like the newer style which have the shift/throttle built into a single lever but I'm not sure if they made them that way in the 50's.

I'm half way there though. I do have the steering figured out...

Thanks!
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

out of control

Mark- I have a Shipmaster dual control setup, looks like a Simplex but double thickness with four levers. Last I checked all cables were good with OMC ends, am not sure of year but has to be early 60's at the latest. Which of your boats (length of cables?) are your twins going on? and which side is the helm on? Will add picture to this post manana.

We hope to pickup the sister to your '56 BB16 from Marty next week.

Comment

Hi Greg,

The Johnsons are going on the BB16. Its a very tight fit but they should work out great. Not sure of the exact cable lengths yet. Your simplex controls are similar to others I have spotted on ebay with the 4 levers and may be my only choice if I stick with period correct. I was hoping to find a two lever setup that combined the shift and throttle into each separate lever. I suspect that they werent made that way that early though...

If I remember right your 55 BB16 is pretty unique with a single oval window on the front. Can't wait to see it finished! I really like these old BB Express cruisers...

What started as a "freshening up" on my BB16 has turned into a major re-restoration.. The deeper I go the more I find that I want to fix or change. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how I ended up with the boat completely stripped...

I'm hoping to finish the transom modifications today so I can finish prepping the boat for paint. Once I finish the paint I can get it back on the trailer and bring the 18 home from Marty's (shooting for week after next).

If you pass through the Silverdale area you should stop by and say hi.

Mark
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Mark, Do you have any pictures on your BB16 work ? Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Here are a few showing the transom test fit and some of the overall hull work.

Notice the front hanging from the Costco shelter thanks to Marty's suggestion.

I will probably patent the red wagon bottom support...
          Attached Files
          Mark
          Silverdale, WA.
          1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Twin 35 Johnson's on a 16 footer !

Wow! I really like the 57 Johnson 35's. Twins on your sixteen should be a sweet combination!

On the control question, the early simplex controls were made so you could bolt two controls together. You could position both shift levers in one control and both throttles in the other, aircraft style. Looks cool and you can shift or throttle both with one hand.

Nice boat but not sure about the wagon!?

Tim
            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Bell Boy 16

Nice going, Mark. It must be 6-7 years since Rod Frisell first worked on that boat, and it's had a lot of use since then, so it was definitely ready for a fresh restoration.

It'll obviously be interesting to see how it does with the twin 35's, too. When Mike Radder owned the BB16, he got 26mph on the GPS with a single Yamaha 25hp, and (as I recall) maybe 31-32 mph with twin Yamaha 25's...so the increase in speed wasn't quite what might have been anticipated.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I'll be happy if the twins perform as well as the Honda 50 did. If it picks up a few MPH that would be a bonus. The main reason I decided to go twins was the redundancy 2 motors provide. Plus, it just looks cool with the 2 vintage Johnsons..
                Mark
                Silverdale, WA.
                1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

pot calling the kettle black

Originally posted by Mark_Denis, post: 3730
                  What started as a "freshening up" on my BB16 has turned into a major re-restoration.. The deeper I go the more I find that I want to fix or change. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how I ended up with the boat completely stripped...
                  Mark, you blew my mind-I thought that you were one of the sane ones, buying a completed, really cool ride with a modern 4-stroke bulletproof Honda...if only that bridge hadn't been closed so you could get to your new project-this may never have happened.

I hate to enable your behavior like Marty and Tim with their praise for your craziness, but the control setup is yours if you can use it to get the twins operational...

and I'll volunteer to haul away that silver "boat anchor" for free if that would help

Comment

Greg, I'll take you up on your offer for the controls. Very much appreciated!

Don't worry, I havent completely gone off the deep end. There is a grand plan that in my mind makes all of this seem logical.

The Honda is going on one of the larger BB's (along with a sister) for the 2010 boating season. Should be a fun winter project.
                    Mark
                    Silverdale, WA.
                    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Control freak

Mark- I was keeping the Shipmaster controls around for a twin project, but have quickly grown weary of fabricating parts to keep the old ones on the water and have detoured toward alternative propulsion. It would be great to see this utilized for a killer application.

I am hoping to grab the Bell Boy 16 from the Island Boatshop on Monday, I could leave the controls with Joe/Marty, or even put them in your new project if they are in the same place.

Greg
                      Attached Files

Comment

That works great for me. Just leave it with Marty if you dont mind. I owe you one!
                        Mark
                        Silverdale, WA.
                        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Working...
                        X