1957 Tollycraft Rumpas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Tollycraft Rumpas

As most of you know, my Dad, son, and I have been working on our first full restoration of a wooden boat. It is a 1957 Tollycraft Rumpas. At only 14 feet long and powered by a 1962(?) Merc 400, it should be a rocket. Just a quick recap to bring everyone up date. When we got the boat, it had been COVERED in blue paint. My Dad spent months working in the evenings stripping and sanding to get it back to bare wood. The Tollys all had a fiberglass over plywood bottom which was in really good shape (also painted blue). After the bottom was sanded and faired, we applied four coats of primer and three coats of bottom paint. Then we flipped the boat back over to replace the decks. The original plywood had been sanded through in several spots, so the whole deck needed to come off. We also needed to get some scrap pieces of wood to try our hand with stain and varnish. In the mean time, the interior seats were completed in the warmth of my parents living room (sorry Mom!) since they are attached with screws that go under the new deck. The seats were finished and installed last week. Today, we got the new decks installed with 5200 and pin nails. Feeling more confident in the stain and varnish department, we are looking forward to some more update photos really soon! That is if I can get all this 5200 off my hands, tools, pants, and I think even my hair!

Seats installed and ready for the decks. We also stained the interior of the boat and bilge coated the bottom prior to installing. There are floor board (currently blue) that go over the stringers to cover the rest of the bilge.

Decks on and ready for some sanding, stain, and varnish.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Brian,
    Looking good!! Can't wait to see some more pics of the restoration. Oh and be careful when using the head( at least until that 5200 is gone ) LOL

Comment

I am pretty sure the phrase "caught red handed" came about after someone stained a wooden boat! Our hands are going to be red for a week after todays session with the Tolly. The exterior hull is all stained now. Time to start the varnish after it has a few days to dry.

BRIAN FRANCHINI
      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I know what you mean about the red stain. We stained our deck red a few years back and I swear for months after we were still finding red everywhere, on the fridge, on the doorknob, on the glasses, on the steering wheel, you get the idea.LOL

Comment

More Tollycraft

After endless days of varnishing, the hull sides are finally built up to where we are happy (this can be obsessive!) Today we put the second coat of white on the waterline and the fish hook design that goes on the hull. A few days to dry, and then it can be flipped and the decks finished.

BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Beautiful work Brian. What a great family project. Makes me feel like starting a restoration project , but then I look out at all the orchard pruning I need to do and have to reconsider. Keep up the great work, enjoy seeing your boat progress. Will look forward to seeing it on the water!
            Kent & Diane
            '58 Westerner

Comment

Looking good, Brian! Way to stay after it. Looks like it's about flip-over time. - Ross
              Ross Henson

Comment

It is time for the flip. Up to this point, we have been able to pick it up (two people can lift it) and roll it on the grass then lift it back onto the dolly. It is funny how the more time and effort goes into something, the more careful you get around it. I think for this time, we will employ the case of beer method of flipping. Anyone thirsty?
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian,
                  Give me a shout when your ready to flip! I can easily pop up the hill to give you a hand. I am available most afternoons and weekends.

Comment

Boat is flipped and ready for some more work! We got it flipped Friday evening with three people. Really is pretty light, just awkward. We have cut the new mahogany trim that goes at the top of the gunnel as well as the new half round for the interior trim. I think we may have to try our hand at steaming for the outer gunnel trim. The .75"x1.25" piece does not want to bend real well. Once those are on, it is back to staining and varnish. Funny how the steps that we were most nervous about are the ones we look forward to now. More to follow soon I hope!

BRIAN FRANCHINI
                    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

More progress!

I have been really bad about keeping this project updated even though the work has been progressing. Since the last post, we have finished the deck replacement. The new mahogany trim (at the gunnel edge) was milled and replaced (thanks to Rob Dapron for some advice on bending the trim around the bow!) as well as a new mahogony half round trim at the interior. It was all sanded and nail/screw holes filled. Last week we stained all the decks and seat boards. Now we have sealed the stain and have the two first builder coats of varnish on all the topsides. We are shooting for about 10 coats and will see how it looks.

Several weeks ago we dropped off a 1958 (59?) Mercury Mark 55A with Thom (Dr. Frankenmerc) in Shelton. He worked his magic and yesterday, I picked up a nearly new motor that will power the little Tolly. It still needs a little paint and detailing on the exterior, but it runs like new.

If anyone wants to learn to varnish (or just stand and have a cold beer) we will be in the garage all this week as summer is creaping up quick!
                      Attached Files
                      BRIAN FRANCHINI
                      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian,
                        The boat looks fantastic. Be sure to tell your Dad what a great job he is doing. I look forward to seeing more progress pictures.
                        rob

Comment

Brian, OMG ! what have you done to your Dad ! It looks like he is hook on boats just like you and Cole. The boat looks super nice. Best,Chuck
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

That grin on Coles face says it all ! Great family project ,much better than video games.Keep the pictures coming
                            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks everyone. We are having alot of fun stumbling through this project. To say we have learned along the way is an understatement. But, as most have mentioned, the best part is working with my Dad and son on a cool little boat that we will all get to play with. I will keep you posted as it starts to come together.
                              BRIAN FRANCHINI
                              LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X