Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "67" Dorsett Catalina

Hello
    Just bought a "new" old boat on craigslist.
    Had to up the price $100.00 so the owner would hold it for me.
    Just joined this site to get advice on restoration.
    She is in good shape but I want to bring her all the way back.
    So I will be looking for odds and ends.
    A windsheld to start with as the one on her is cracked.
    Looking forward to to reading all your post.
    Craig D
    Pics to come soon....

Craig, Welcome to the wonderful world of Boating,NWCBC and Dorsett boats. Was this the one listed yesterday ? I do know of a auto glass store but it on this side of the water in Lynnwood. Check over on your side in Bremerton Area. I had one put in that was bigger ( Dorsett Farallon ) than yours for $245.00. That's a nice looking boat and sure you will like it. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Yea, another Dorsett

Comment

Yea Tim, There are coming out of the woodwork now ! I counted about 10-12 of them even more maybe ? 4-5 Farallon's alone. Chuck.
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wrong it's a "1963" dorsett

Went out and picked up the boat Monday and the Title reads 1963.
          The older the better in my book...
          Thank you all for the welcoms. Here she is
          Craig
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good score Craig. I sent the seller an email, but never heard back. Obviously I was too late. Enjoy the Dorsett, there has been a lot of them coming to the group lately.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 5199
              Looks like a good score Craig. I sent the seller an email, but never heard back. Obviously I was too late. Enjoy the Dorsett, there has been a lot of them coming to the group lately.
              Ditto from me.

It's to bad these sellers don't have the courtesy to email back saying it's sold or ANY communication back Oh well it's thier loss. It looks like we could have gotten into a bidding war and the seller could have laughed all the way to the bank

Comment

1963 - Good Year

A barrel-back 1963 Catalina is infinitely more interesting than a 1967 Catalina. Of course, I could be a little bias. I also have a white hull 1963 Catalina. I am one year into a complete (replace all wood) restoration. I have enjoyed every minute. I am sure you will as well. If you run into any problems or have a question, drop me a line.

Comment

To me that's a '60-'61 Catalina, '63 had a diff hull, '62 had a sunvisor over top. Could be an inbetwen I guess. None the less nice score...................

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

"63" Dorsett

Well is been sometime now since been on this site.
                    I took my "63" Dorsett Catalina to Defiance Boats in Port Orchard to have them repair and gel-coat the bottom of the boat due to cracks and spider webbing.
                    $3000 later I get my boat back.

They did a very nice job on the hull however when inspecting the bilge space through a hole they cutout in the decking they found that the strangers were all rotten. My heart sunk!

I told them to hold the work on the boat for the time being. I got a call back after a few days from the manager stating that his boat engineer had looked over my boat and decided it could be filled with flotation foam.

I told him to go ahead with the repair. They also put foam in the forward bow as well.

I then got a call telling me that I needed a new transom . My Heart Sunk!
                    I told them to go ahead with the repair.

They did a very nice job on rebuilding the Transom with a composite material.

I now have the boat back and will be working on the detailing.

I will posts and pictures of the repairs and new transom soon.

Looking for a windshield and other miscellaneous parts.

What may seem like a good deal at first can change rapidly. I am in this now $4100 and it looks like there is no end in site.
                    Craig D

Comment

Originally posted by bodyworker, post: 13203
                      I took my "63" Dorsett Catalina to Defiance Boats in Port Orchard to have them repair and gel-coat the bottom of the boat due to cracks and spider webbing.

They did a very nice job on the hull however when inspecting the bilge space through a hole they cutout in the decking they found that the strangers were all rotten. My heart sunk!

I told them to hold the work on the boat for the time being. I got a call back after a few days from the manager stating that his boat engineer had looked over my boat and decided it could be filled with flotation foam.

I told him to go ahead with the repair. They also put foam in the forward bow as well.

What may seem like a good deal at first can change rapidly. I am in this now $4100 and it looks like there is no end in site.
                      Craig D
                      Lets see.
                      Replace all the wood.
                      Replace any glass that is needed.
                      Repair and paint.
                      Replace the power.
                      Replace the steering.
                      Replace the trailer.
                      upholstery.

Yep, new boat, But Wait !!

You spent less than the cost of a new show room boat.
                      You have a restored Classic that does not depreciate like a new boat.
                      Talk to most any boat surveyor, your classic is built better, plus with the new closed cell flotation foam, is Safer than a new boat.

Me, I look at it as I spent my money on something to enjoy and just didn't drink it away in some bar.

A Classic boat may not be as cool as a Classic Car, but I would bet its a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild/restore, and you still have a head turner.
                      :TwoCents1:
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yah, but aren't hours spent in a bar better than hours spent under a boat prepping and painting?
                        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Makes sense to me !

Originally posted by bodyworker, post: 13203

Craig D
                          Take the slow bleed or pay a bit more in the beginning and go boating ? :Shocked:
                          Attached Files
                          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 13208
                            Yah, but aren't hours spent in a bar better than hours spent under a boat prepping and painting?
                            NAW Not to me the're not. :NoWay1:

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 13211
                              Take the slow bleed or pay a bit more in the beginning and go boating ? :Shocked:
                              I think a lot of folks (including myself) really enjoy bringing one back to life, just like you're doing with your Larson. I know the motorcycles I've purchased, new or nice vintage, didn't bring me any where the pleasure I got out of the basket case that I brought back from the dead. Did it make economic sense? Naahh, but that wasn't the point.

Comment

Working...
                              X