Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker Lake is go for Launch

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Some of you may remember earlier discussions about a new event at Baker Lake scheduled for Saturday, September 19th. I have been attempting to find a group site that is reservable for that day with little to no luck. I have determined that several campgrounds will be officially closed by then and therefore are not reservable, however serveral of the launch ramps are still open to public use all winter long, and therefore we are moving foreward with the plan for a gathering.

I will post more details on which ramp / campground we will try to meet at after this weekend, I have a small army going to the lake to pick exact locations for everything.

I am also working on making up an activity, similar to Brian Franchini's Lake Tapps poker run, so I need to get a rough idea of just how many boats will likely be attending so I can determine what sort of prizes should be given out.

So if you think your up for a wild ride in the glacier waters of Mt Baker National forest and willing to risk the prop in the "Log Soup" that is Baker Lake, please post here so I can make sure everyone leaves with something fun...

PS: The log soup is in the north end of the lake and our event will be planned to stay as far away from there as possible. My prop guy says he wont fix my prop again this year, he just cant stand to take any more of money. (repaired 6 times since June 3rd when I bought the new boat)

Thanks, and happy motoring.

~Brian Flaherty
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Brian, Will be there with the G-3 " California Girl " , being she is the only boat i have left. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Brian,
      Sorry to say that we will be missing this one as the Evinrude on the Owens is being repaired and we'll be on the road going to pick up our Bellboy in SLC. We know it's going to be a fun event and we hope you'll do it again next year!!

Comment

Sounds like fun. Our boat is stranded on Lummi Island until the car ferry returns in October. I checked and there are two dams between us and Baker Lake and no locks so, we will try to come up Saturday and bum a ride with the California Girl or whoever will have us.
        Jerry and Becky
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Count me in.

Brain
          I would like to go and if the weather is nice I may bring my wife Gina. Are you planning on making this an overnight event? Alex the small, grey, old, deaf dog might come too if you don't mind.
          1956 Enduracraft Monterey
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Cheryl and I are planning on being there. We will probably be camping somewhere on the lake.
            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

on looker

Just joined the club, check is on the way to Marty. I live in Darrington and want to come meet some people with my wife and 5 year old son. Marty said someone might even give me a ride, that would be cool since my 59 fiberform is in resto mode and Marty baught the motor that was on it. Hope to see you all then.
              Jason and Amy Miller
              Jason Miller
              1959 15ft Fiberform Spokane,1980 18ft I/O Bellboy

Comment

The event is priliminarily scheduled for only saturday, however my friends and I will be camping on the lake friday night so that we can get stuff prepared for saturday's activities and we will most likely be staying through till sunday. There are no "open" campgrounds after this weekend, but most them don't have locked gates, they just wont have flush toilets open and all the little general stores will most likely be closed...

~Brian
                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

overnight options?

Brian,
                  If someone wanted to spend the night could you just anchor next to a closed campground or in a cove somewhere and just sleep onboard? That would be for the folks who have cabin boats anyway. Is there enough things to do there boating and other wise to fill two fun filled interesting days?
                  1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Boat Rides for Guests

Jason -

Welcome aboard as a full-fledged, paid member...and yes, if you come to Baker Lake I'm sure you'll be offered boat rides by other members. When you have a chance, you'll have to post photos of your Fiberform project.

- Marty
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hi Everybody,

I probally need to introduce myself to the majority of you. I am a transplant from ACBS and have been a menber of NW Classic Boat Club since it started eariler this year. I am planning on finally making an event this year and have heard great things about Baker Lake. I will be bringing a leaky yet well loved 1956 Higgins Sport Speedster that I purchased from Marty 5-6 years ago. I have never been to the lake before so maybe some driving directions would be helpful, not so much to the lake, but the launch area. What would be the best time to arrive Saturday? Would you like me to bring anything?

Thanks Jeff Callies

1970 Searay SRV18
                      1953 Reinell 18'
                      1956 Higgins Speedster

Comment

Welcome, Jeff

Jeff -

I know you've been lurking out there, watching the message board, so it's great to see that you've 'gone public' with your membership in the club.

Look forward to helping you repair that Higgins bottom when we have time...

Hey, do you still have the little hydro you bought from me?

Best,

Marty
                        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 6273
                          Brian, Will be there with the G-3 " California Girl " , being she is the only boat i have left. Chuck

A friend e-mail me and ask if i had sold the Farallon too.What i ment by the above posting is, the G-3 is the only boat i have left for a small or semi medium size lake. The Farallon is a Columbia River, San Juan Island ,Lake Roosevelt and Puget Sound type boat. I think the Farallon would empty half the water out of Baker lake. lol ! Chuck
                          Attached Files
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Marty,

I sold it after a couple of years. I had a Mark 55 on the back and reached 60mph one morning on Lake Goodwin! Great little boat, thanks for the opportunity to own it. Jeff

Comment

I must shamefully say I have not had our boat in the water since your Lake Tapps get together. All my free time has been spent building a new garage and trying toget it waterproofed by the time the rains set in. getting closer by the day. I am probably trailer bound until next spring...

Comment

Working...
                              X