New Years Cruise: Boat Sinking!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Cruise: Boat Sinking!

Today's New Years Cruise was marred by the sinking of Tim Mattson's 17-foot Glasspar Seafair Sedan at the Ivar's dock. The boat went down when nobody was looking, while our group was having lunch inside the restaurant...so we don't know what caused what was obviously a sudden sinking...but the bottom line is that Tim is tonight facing a substantial bill from Vessel Assist and maybe other parties.

Some of us had an informal passing-of-the-hat at the scene, but as of 4 p.m. the Vessel Assist boat had been unable to raise the sunken Glasspar, and their billing clock was running. A diver arrived shortly after 6 p.m. and just before 7 p.m. the crew got the first air bag into the boat and inflated, bringing the bow back to the surface. Tim reported that they hoped to get a second air bag into the stern area and bring the hull level with the surface so that high-volume pumps could begin to float the boat.

When the boat rolled over, it was still tied to the Ivar's float by bow and stern lines, but it quickly became obvious that there was no way to roll it upright. (It was sobering to realize how unbelievably heavy one of our boats can become when submerged. Gordon Davies, with crew help from John Nelson, attempted to tow the sunken hull toward a nearby beach, but Gordon's big Merc was unable to budge the sunken boat; it just sat there on the bottom, as though firmly anchored in place. At that point the bow line was returned to Ivar's float, where it was secured to a dock cleat.)

This is an unusual situation in our club. As far as I can remember we've never had a boat sink, or had a member face what'll probably be a substantial bill for rescue services.

If you are able to help with any kind of donation to help cover Tim's Vessel Assist bill, please send your contribution to Tim Mattson at 1446 Southwest 152nd, Burien, WA 98166. If Tim is somehow able to pay the Vessel Assist bill on his own, he will return your donation...or at least a portion of it.

Thanks, in advance, for helping a fellow club member get through a disheartening and expensive situation.

We'll post other photos and event details below, but Tim's situation is more important tonight...

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

New Years Cruise Photos

Well, it was a very different New Years Cruise, dominated by the unfortunate sinking of Tim Mattson's Glasspar (see details above).

We had a big turnout of members, and a great lunch that was suddenly interrupted by a waiter who approached our table with the announcement that "one of your boats has capsized!" That pretty much brought lunch to an end, and sent most of us scurrying to the dock, to discover it was too late to do much for Tim's upended Seafair Sedan.

About 22 members attended the lunch. Many thanks to Jay and Tara for keeping folks warm aboard their beautifully restored 1940 Chris-Craft cruiser, Tabu. Boats at the meet included Tim's aforementioned Glasspar; another 17-foot Glasspar owned by Gordon and Cheryl Davies; Kent and Diane Hodges with their Westerner cruiser; Chuck Carey with son Dan and the G-3; Marty with his recently-acquired Reinell wooden runabout; John Nelson with his parents and their nifty Vashon double-ended cruiser; Jay and Tara's Tabu; Ken Cook with his Skagit 20 Tyee, and Jim Brooks with his 19-foot Glasply.

Below are some random photos of the gathering at Ivar's. The "cruise" portion of the event became abbreviated after the sinking of Tim's boat, but a few members toured the Ship Canal in the later afternoon, when the sun came out and the winds finally settled down.

- Marty
    Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Bummer!

WoW! Surprised to hear of a boat sinking at a NWCBC event! If Tim has insurance, will cover the cost of recovery. Yes, even small boats can be difficult to raise.

McSKagit
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

More New Years Photos

Here are some additional shots from today's gathering.

- Marty
        Attached Files

Comment

Marty,
          That is a very unfortunate situation that Tim is in.
          Please let us all know if the loss was uninsured and please clarify on his address whether it is 152nd (St) (Ave) (Rd) (Ln)???
          Please also write direct to me on this as I am on the fly and just happened to receive a link related to this sad state of affairs.
          Thom aka: Doc Frankenmerc
          Doc Frankenmerc
          Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Tim's Boat Sinking

Thom -

Tim has no insurance to cover the costs. The address provided by Tim and his wife didn't specify Street, Avenue, Place or whatever, but I suspect just saying 152nd with that zip will get something to him.

Thanks,

Marty

Comment

Wow!!!

That is terrible Tim. So sorry to hear about your misfortune. Thank God no one was hurt!

We were on the other side of the hill boating on Lake Sammamish, but it looks like you guys had a lot more wind than we did.

Do you think the wind contributed, or maybe a big boat wake? Hopefully we all can learn from this one, if you figure out what happened?

It sounds like you got her floating again. So were you able to retreive her and get her home this evening alright?

Doug G.

Comment

We're very relieved to hear you were able to recover the boat and no one was hurt. Thankfully this happened next to a dock rather than out in open water! Kudo's to all of the club members who were there to lend a hand.

Once you've had a chance to assess all of the damage please post the details. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to donate needed parts if they can.

Tim has always been gracious with his knowledge and advice on this forum. It's great to see everyone rallying together to help him out. Feels much more like a family than a club doesn't it?

Check your PM's Tim.
                Mark
                Silverdale, WA.
                1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Wholly Cow!!

I am so glad that no one got hurt.

I agree with others, what a bad feeling and sorry to see.

Keep us posted on what may have been the reason....
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

WOW what a day! Glad to hear the boat and motors were recovered. I know with Tim's talent, Miss BeeHaven will be back. I don't think our futile attempt at towing it did anything but bury it deeper in the muck. You just wanna try anything at all to help out a lousy situation. Hang in there Tim!
                    Here are a few pictures.
                    Attached Files
                    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

That is tragic. Sorry to hear about that Tim. I do have spare Seafair parts, windows, grab rails plus some misc., let me know if you need anything. Check is in the mail tomorrow to help out with the expenses. Hang in there buddy.
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Latest details.....and thoughts

Thanx Steve ,
                        I`m getting off cheap but as usual I am forgetting some of the things I still need to re-up.
                        Might take you up on some of the parts I know are tweaked.Rubber C trim for the front windows would be great.
                        I`ll be getting my windows re-done in Lexan so some weight will be shed.Skip from Middy Plastics actually came to the dock and tried to offer help.He wished his Tug ,The Galene,was able to un-tie and also manuever but he could have took us all out.
                        Gordon really tried but the wind had created a current that was really pushing the boat under the dock.
                        I could see it was going to get really ugly and maybe would have destroyed it ,OR the other boats all tied up inside the Dock.....where I should have side-tied or even turned it around, which would have made this all not happen.
                        Later as the wind died ,the boat was easier to pull but it had already gone down to the mud,bow up.With less debris out aways ,again not under the dock in a tangle mess was probably safer for the diver involved.
                        Waiting until dark for the diver was really hard,but Emerald City Diving quoted the Capt. $3 K to come assist! That made my stomache sick to say the least.
                        I now think it actually was better 10` out from the dock,out -of view(looked like we were "pier Crabbing",only two lines going out to nowhere) and not tangled in unseen cables and the 8`` iron rods poking under the dock,(not shown in any pics because they were just under the edge).This also kept it from looking like an Eco disaster,grabbing the fuel tanks and debris quick saved me from an EPA greeting card.I convinced the Harbor Patrol we had pros coming and the sorta fibbed about sealed batteries....they stayed put and are still working.Even found the solid brass levered drain plug,which I had once found in the wormy leaves the day I brought her home.Stayed put right on a side shelf until I got home!
                        Raising it took 3 air bags!
                        Even then ,the lake kept trying to swamp it.
                        The cabin top almost let loose as the air bag was using the top to lift.

Another discovery,my fuel tanks were strapped under my rear seat bench and it Blew apart as the boat got heavy,thus letting the tanks float free instead of giving me a little flotation.
                        I built it to stand on so it was screwed from above.Never thought about the tanks lifting the Hull!
                        Flotation is coming soon ,and it will be pinned in tight for sure.
                        A final point is that 99.9% of the time this would have not occurred.
                        Go boating enough and the odds may catch up.
                        Have enough friends and help and you`ll survive ok.
                        This boat will float soon,just for the principle of it.
                        I got into the Marine Trades after seeing people leave the hobby from bad experiences,poor fishing ,etc. ....kinda what drives me to learn it all and remember the people who share freely.Need to remember/take heed of what I learn though!

I`ll be back on the horse soon.Just might take up Diving too,I see a need for it I hope I never need ,but what a helpless feeling as we had the gear but nobody to get wet.
                        Thanx again all,back to the salvage.
                        TimM
                        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                        SeaRay 175BR
                        Hi-Laker lapline
                        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hi Tim,
                          Sure like that "99.9% of the time this would not have occured" comment as I have been busy looking at how I could foam Rosario to keep her afloat upright and didn't like what I was finding online. Guess I'll just stick with insurance and faith in God to keep Becky and I alive and enjoy the boat while we have her.
                          Jerry
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I have a Glasspar Avalon but it's a '69 and has foam (what they call Coast Guard Construction) in the belly by that year...I think as of '68 they started that. Even with that, my first step was to install a bilge pump (however that would not have helped in that same situation since I have it hooked to a toggle rather than auto float to turn it on). Sorry to hear this all happened..especially since it was a Glasspar !
                            That area in Portage Bay of Lk. Wash by Ivars is what I call our Bermunda Triangle. Big waves (even though it's a no wake zone) bounce off other boats and create chaos. I once lost power in my Glasspar right by Ivars and was close to being slammed into the rocks, but some nice guy in another boat saw me with my outboard motor cover off and me wrenching franticlly and threw my a line..

Comment

Working...
                            X