Prop for Evinrude 85

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop for Evinrude 85

My 1969 Evinrude 85hp V-4 at WOT pegs the tachometer past 7k. I think the prop pitch is too low. If so, what would be the effect of a pitch that gave me 6.5 thousand RPM at WOT?

I have no idea where to get a correct higher pitch prop that fits this motor. I don't know what pitch this one is.

There is a prop shop by Second Wave in Seattle. Maybe I should take it off and go there? What do you think?

Mike ,
    At the factory ,we`d set you up with a basic 17 `` Pitch 3 blade alum wheel.Then you go up or down based on the tach so you have too low of pitch which is like the lower hear in your Car or Truck.
    I tend to like higher top end speeds and not much heavy towing or skiing so a 19``-21 usually is behind my V-4`s.17p is for heavy loads and full coolers of crab.
    In heavy weather where you need to have slow speed agility ,the low pitch help keep you from falling off plane and wallowing as you let nasty waves go by.
    There is a Formula you can use but need to know the actual pitch to plug that into the equation which then gives you the "Theoretical Slip" number.Then you switch the pitch number and do the math to see what you should get on paper.
    The real world watertest will matter more as the math sometimes doesn`t add up,(sorta like "paper fish " the state manages each year).
    Lyle at Northlake Propellor will have what you need,and is fair on price.
    Try for a "Cupped" 19`` p and see if you still get a good holeshot with no cavitation.Then make sure your Wot rpm is acceptable and not too low.
    A 4th blade on the wheel will also pull the rpm down,and gives control.
    See what Lyle says and let his choices lead you.
    Goodluck,
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X