Sunde & d'ever boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunde & d'ever boat

I just pick up a Sunde & d'ever P-14 boat. Does anyone know any history on these. The id tag says it was made in seattle. The title says it's a 1955.

It's a fiberglass hull, very simular to a the Skagit 14' runabout I have.

Thanks for any help

I have a P-14 in my Album which is a 14 foot boat. This one is kind of sporty and not looking like a fishing boat like others I have seen.
    I also have a 60 Elgin that the hulls like identical.

I was told that the P-14 was made by Seaswirl.
    Who else knows about these boats ???
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Helmar,

The P-14 I have is very simular as far as the hull but the top deck is much different. It has no bulkhead behind the seats and no motor well in the stern. Does yours have the a cast plate insignia on the bow that says p-14?

Comment

P-14

The first boat I had here in the islands was a P-14. Had a 57 Johnson 35. Boat motor and trailer for $300. Was a good boat. Sold it top my neighbor who trashed it....!
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonrk71, post: 3375
          Helmar,

The P-14 I have is very simular as far as the hull but the top deck is much different. It has no bulkhead behind the seats and no motor well in the stern. Does yours have the a cast plate insignia on the bow that says p-14?
          I don't think so. The boat is down in Sandy Oregon and I am up on the Olympic Peninsula right now. I don't remember seeing anything like that.

I do remember seeing all different kinds of upper decks on them, most being open like a utility boat for fishing. This one cough my eye as it was more of a Sport looking boat design.
          The Elgin has the same hull but has the utility, fishing look to it.

I wonder if the P-14 was more of a Design that makers used and did there own top decks and called it there own names ?, like Seaswirl ?

Can you post some pictures of your ?
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Here's an article on the Seaswirl P-14. It's slow to load. And the pics aren't there.

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/article/first-classic
            1959 Sande Ace with a conglomeration of Cloud White Mercury 4-cylinder parts.
            http://www.sandeace.com

Comment

I'll put some pics up later this week. I'm out of town for work for a few days.

Comment

The P-14 was made by Hyway Products which built the P-14. Seaswirl purchased the company later on in the early 60's I think. I can tell you that the P-14 I had was by far the roomiest 14 footer ever and it handled the waves marvelously. Jeff and I used mine for a slough runner two years ago and it was great. With a 35 horse Evinrude we hit 30 mph! It looks better when you paint shark teeth on it!
                Attached Files

Comment

Had a chance to take a couple of photos today.

Here they are. Haven't had a chance to wash it yet and see how bad the finish actually is!
                  Attached Files

Comment

P-14 Performance

The P-14 is one of the great 'sleeper' boats made in the Northwest, and your open utility model is the same as the one Greg Silcox had...which I then owned before giving it to neighbor friends John Pate and Candice Cole, who use it all the time for crabbing, shrimping and fishing.

We got together with John and Candy this past weekend and they had nothing but praise for the P-14's roughwater performance. When shrimping recently in Hood Canal near Quilcene, John said virtually all other boats were blown off the water by wind-driven waves...but John and Candy stayed out, kept shrimping, and came in only when they had their limits. They're so happy with the P-14 that they may invest in a new four-stroke outboard in the 20-hp range (to replace their 8-hp), just so they can get up on a plane with all gear aboard. (In fact, they may sell their usual crabbing boat, a Skagit 20 Express, because they're so pleased with the P-14's abilities and ease of launching/retrieving at ramps.)

So, the P-14 is a simple-looking little runabout that's amazingly stable and boasts a miraculously great bottom design, somehow kissing off waves as other boats flounder...or their owners get drenched trying to work their way through rough water. You've got a good one!

- Marty
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Where did you find the hull plate? Which part of the boat? I have a Sunde and I am thinking that it came from the same place. Mine is identical except for the shield on the bow. Mine came from Bainbridge Island across the bay from Seattle.

Comment

P-14 pictures from 1956-1959

Here are some pictures from November 1956 Sea Magazine Seattle National Boat Show issue and from the 1957 Oregonian Portland Boat Show Sunday newspaper supplement.

1. "Pacific Plastics has prepared a deluxe model of its 14-ft Sport Aire cruiser for its display at the Boat Show. It weights 360 lbs and takes a 40 -hp motor. Four new models will be displayed in length up to 20 feet."

New models were three 10 ft designs, a 16 foot, 20 foot, 14 ft Sport-Aire deluxe runabout, 14 Sport-Aire runabout (a fishing model).

2. Dealer floor plan shows both Pacific Plastics, Sunde & d'Evers Co, Sigler's, and others. There were no pictures attributed to Sunde but said they would have a full outboard line, along with Oliver and Lauson outboard motors.

3. From Portland Boat show: The P-14 was sold by Foster Sporting Goods but no manufacturer name was given.
                        "Here is the boat that will give you safe and dependable performance with any motor up to 55H.P. The P-14 features 33" freeboard, 70" beam, 58" transom, double bottom, rubber rub rails, built-in spray rails, plus many other features. $495."

Fiberglassics library has additional pictures under P-14

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/P-14
                        Attached Files
                        Bruce H. Drake
                        1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                        1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                        1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                        1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

More on P-14

From Golden State Classics thread http://goldenstateglassics.com/showt...?t=311&page=22

Seaswirl Turns 40

Inside the history of a 40-year-old runabout stalwart

A 40th birthday, for those of us past that point, doesn’t seem like much of a milestone but, for a boat company, it’s a remarkable achievement when you consider the rollercoaster ride of the boating industry over the past four decades.
                          Flip through the pages of a 1955 boating magazine, and you’ll find names that are that are not only long gone but barely remembered. It was just 10 years after World War II ended that a little company called Highway Products was launched in Canby, a suburb of Portland, Oregon.
                          Taking advantage of the newfangled fiberglass technology as well as the popularity of outboard engines, the company produced a line of car-top and small trailerable boats under the brand name Seaswirl.
                          By 1961,the company had grown enough to purchased by a larger company, Bramco, which expanded the line during the boating boom of the 1970s. The company grew to the point where they attracted the attention of the huge Outboard Marine Corporation, which was increasing its market share for Johnson and Evinrude outboards by acquiring boat companies and, in 1987, the renamed Seaswirl Boats came under the OMC corporate umbrella.
                          Now located in Culver, a small town on the Crooked River in mid-Oregon, the 230 person workforce at Seaswirl builds a line of fiberglass runabouts, walkarounds, center consoles and cuddies ranging from 17 up to 25 feet.

video on restoring P-14 link
                          1973 Sea Swirl P-14 Runabout My first resto with like year 50 hp motor and full restoration YouTube Video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4EQL6yIKbQ"]YouTube - Sea Swirl p 14 The Full Restoration Delux Edit[/ame]
                          Bruce H. Drake
                          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

More on P-14

Seaswirl Turns 40

Inside the history of a 40-year-old runabout stalwart

A 40th birthday, for those of us past that point, doesn’t seem like much of a milestone but, for a boat company, it’s a remarkable achievement when you consider the rollercoaster ride of the boating industry over the past four decades.
                            Flip through the pages of a 1955 boating magazine, and you’ll find names that are that are not only long gone but barely remembered. It was just 10 years after World War II ended that a little company called Highway Products was launched in Canby, a suburb of Portland, Oregon.
                            Taking advantage of the newfangled fiberglass technology as well as the popularity of outboard engines, the company produced a line of car-top and small trailerable boats under the brand name Seaswirl.
                            By 1961,the company had grown enough to purchased by a larger company, Bramco, which expanded the line during the boating boom of the 1970s. The company grew to the point where they attracted the attention of the huge Outboard Marine Corporation, which was increasing its market share for Johnson and Evinrude outboards by acquiring boat companies and, in 1987, the renamed Seaswirl Boats came under the OMC corporate umbrella.
                            Now located in Culver, a small town on the Crooked River in mid-Oregon, the 230 person workforce at Seaswirl builds a line of fiberglass runabouts, walkarounds, center consoles and cuddies ranging from 17 up to 25 feet.

Video from Bigfoot: Restoring 1973 Sea Swirl P-14 Runabout My first resto with like year 50 hp motor and full restoration YouTube Video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4EQL6yIKbQ"]YouTube - Sea Swirl p 14 The Full Restoration Delux Edit[/ame]
                            Bruce H. Drake
                            1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Working...
                            X