1955 Four Stroke outboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Four Stroke outboard

This is interesting, be sure to check out the other two Lausen outboard videos by the same guy. Pretty cool.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKzSpc3mK4"]YouTube- 1955 LAUSON 4 CYCLE AIR COOLED 6 HP TWIN[/nomedia]

just in case you haven't had enough fun with old 4-strokes...$150.00

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/1757216885.html

Comment

Are old outboards better engines than newer ones? Despite the limitations in HP and weight, this is one cool engine! I'd take an old engine any day over a newer one. Maybe cause they're simple enough to fix or maybe this is a sign of underlying problems.

I don't have the space for boats to pile up. But there's always room to squeeze in another motor.
      '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

In the fifties my grandfather had a 3 horse Lauson. I didn't remember that it was four stroke, but it was air cooled and seemed old then. He tinkered with it all the time trying to get it to work right and it never liked to start.

Comment

Stan said it all, "In the fifties my grandfather had a 3 horse Lauson. I didn't remember that it was four stroke, but it was air cooled and seemed old then."

"Are old outboards better engines than newer ones? Despite the limitations in HP and weight, this is one cool engine! I'd take an old engine any day over a newer one. Maybe cause they're simple enough to fix or maybe this is a sign of underlying problems."

Brian, to quote my deceased father-in-law, "you're different alright". If I wasn't so damn thrifty all of my boats would be sporting suitably-antiqued, brand-new Honda 4-strokes. As far as I can tell, old outboards were recalcitrant from the factory. Screwing around with these dinosaurs should be an Olympic event...Screwy1

Comment

Hey Mo, I got an old Merc I could let you have cheap! :NoWay1:

With a little luck I'll spot hopeless clunkers before I get into them. I figure when a motor makes me cuss, I've gone too far. That way I can save all the cussin' for things like government.:Shocked:
            '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Possible 1947 Lauson 4 cycle, 2.5hp outboard

Check this out. I just got this thing and didn't have a clue on what it was.
              If its the same as this one on Youtube, it was manufactured the same year I was born. AND, we are both still running:shocked4:
              1947 Lauson. Think its a match with the youtube video?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgFUyOy_6U&feature=related"]YouTube- 1947 Lauson 2.5 hp Model 410b[/nomedia]
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looks like the same one to me.

Comment

As far as old motors go I like them. I have about 40 of them from 1937 to 1985 and from 1 1/2 to 75hp. I have Evinrude 1940 1 1/2 hp that has saved me 3 time when the mine motor quit. It starts right up on the second pull. Now that motor is as old as I am 70 years old. I can fix these old motors easy and don't cost much.
                  Mike aka pathfinderz1
                  Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Old Greasy Motors

Down to about 60 oldies- the weirder ( e.g., Clarke Troller) and more convoluted, the more beloved! Anything bigger than 10 HP, though, seems to get heavier every year. No more speedifours or Johnson V-45's! Worst case, these oldsters make good anchors! However, I would never sell my Merc collection, not even for a new Evinrude ETEC :boater1:

Comment

I happily gave away the last of my vintage outboard motors. Seems like they'd run in the tank at home. I'd invite someone to go boating with me and they wouldn't start or would run like an owl eating Exlax! The one I really liked was the air cooled Bendix of the late 1930's. Very modernistic in design. Made a 6 cylinder twin that was really cool. Out of the outboard business in 1940.
                      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 14601
                        The one I really liked was the air cooled Bendix of the late 1930's. . . Made a 6 cylinder twin that was really cool. Out of the outboard business in 1940.
                        " Made a 6 cylinder twin that was really cool" I'm not familiar with that Could you elaborate ? Do you mean 2 cycle ?

Comment

Wow! Got my tongue wrapped around my eye teeth and didn't see what I was saying. It was a 6 hp. twin. Just two cylinders. Yes, it was a two cycle.
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                          X