Been Lazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick,

Your thoughts about possible misalignment, improper clearances, etc. was my first thought, too. Great minds think alike, eh? :GoodJob: Since I had mine completely tore down I thought I had something like the height of the distributor in the clamp wrong, etc. I was sure I would find something out of whack but everything looked fine.

I think you're right on about the square cut corners, not ever a good idea for a stressed component. Interesting that your nylon key has a different shape than the one I borrowed from Greg Lamb when my brass one sheared. (sorry Greg, I'll remember to return it some day ...)

As far as run time, I'd get a total of a couple of hours out of it before it sheared off. The last time it happened I'd run it for a couple of hours and it was fine, I thought maybe the first one was just a fluke, then Greg and I launched it at Alder Lake and it sheared off when starting. I didn't realize that was what has happening and after cranking on it a few times (I thought maybe it was flooded) it happened to jam up in approximately the right place and got us out to the middle of the lake (of course) before the dist spun free and we were dead in the water.

I keep coming back to how the dist shaft bears on the shoulders of the tapered nylon key, which is a much wider contact area than the upper portion of the brass key. That combined with the square cut corners is probably why they kept shearing.

By the way Dick, if you want some spares let me know, I have enough of the HMDPE left to make a bunch of them, I'd be happy to send you a few.

Tim

Comment

Check this out

Tim,
      I couldn't leave well enough alone I had to pull the distributor on the runner and look what I found. Might just have to take you up on your offer.
      Attached Files
      Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 13388
        Tim,
        I couldn't leave well enough alone I had to pull the distributor on the runner and look what I found. Might just have to take you up on your offer.
        That's interesting. It looks like you can see where the dist shaft contacted the key, and it's actually on the lower section of the key, not the upper, am I seeing that right?

I'll make a few and send them your way, Dick. Won't have a chance until after the Stehekin trip, until then I'm full up assembling the Homelite for the back of Anti-SOShull (the 20' Bryant) so it can make the trip.

There's a really good joke in there somewhere, with a 20' cruiser powered by a Homelite, driven by a guy named Slo-mo ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 13390
          That's interesting. It looks like you can see where the dist shaft contacted the key, and it's actually on the lower section of the key, not the upper, am I seeing that right?
          I didn't look closely, pretty much saw a problem and put it back together for now. It's not being used at the moment so no hurry on a key. I've been using the Homelite most of the time.
          Dick Johnson
          1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Cam drive

I got another cam from Bill R. with the replaceable drive keys. My Homelite had the old style drive which was pinned into the cam. Got some extra nylon drive keys from Bill also. So no more cam pulling to replace the drive key.
            My Homelite is still waiting for me in the work shop.

Comment

Working...
            X